• ...and so much more!
  • Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    How fortunate for you.
    Fortune has nothing to do with it. These were our decisions and there was no luck involved.
    So if it worked out that way for you it must work out that way for everyone?
    Wow, you must not have read my post very well. IT IS NOT WORKING OUT FOR US, yet, we continue. We live in what some people would call poverty. 7 children, small house, one vehicle, and only foods of necessity. That's not working out, that's 'just getting by'. Yet, we do it anyway.

Our rewards are not found in the measurable, physical world.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    It kills me that some of you people are jumping dburkhead for getting upset that a school employee put his daughter on a school bus she shouldn't have been on and dropped off in a place she wasn't supposed to be, where she was unsupervised and this was after he attempted to make sure that didn't happen, and now he is attempting to hold those same people accountable. Before you judge him and his decision to send his child to public school, maybe you should walk a mile in his shoes and know HIS situation.

As for me, I will say once again there would be hell to pay if it happened to one of my kids. I applaud his reasonable reaction to this incident and to how he has reacted and answered some of the post that have been written here.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    It kills me that some of you people are jumping dburkhead for getting upset that a school employee put his daughter on a school bus she shouldn't have been on and dropped off in a place she wasn't supposed to be, where she was unsupervised and this was after he attempted to make sure that didn't happen, and now he is attempting to hold those same people accountable. Before you judge him and his decision to send his child to public school, maybe you should walk a mile in his shoes and know HIS situation.

As for me, I will say once again there would be hell to pay if it happened to one of my kids. I applaud his reasonable reaction to this incident and to how he has reacted and answered some of the post that have been written here.

Thank you.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    After leaving the school, I went to the daycare. I spoke to the administrator. I reminded her what had happened the previous day and mentioned that there was one area in which they fell short: when Athena wasn't there to be picked up they should have immediately called me. This was a mistake and I wanted assurance that it would not happen again. They are aware that if Athena is ever not there to be picked up, I need to know immediately. In return, if Athena isn't going to be there--home from school, say--we need to call them and let them know. Once more I emphasized that without the neighbor coming to Athena's rescue this could have ended very badly indeed.

I disagree about the Day Care being at fault. Unless you made this "You call me, I call you" arrangement prior to the incident, I don't see how you can place any blame on them. In fact, while you type that you are so concerned about your daughter, and constantly harp on how badly this could have turned out, why didn't you or your wife contact the Day Care to make sure your daughter was there? If you want to blame everyone, make sure to look in the mirror, because technically speaking, you didn't do everything you could have done.

That being said, I don't like to play the "blame everyone" game. To me, the school district, primarily the person who does bus logistics (might be at the teacher level for all I know), is the one who is to blame. The school district is 100% wrong in this, not the daycare for not calling, and not you or your wife for not doing all you could have done calling the daycare and confirming your daughter's pick-up.

Finally, I have written to my own lawyer to see if there's anything actionable here.

:rolleyes: Now only your daughter has my sympathy. Yes, she was injured. Maybe we can get a trillion dollar judgment against the school district and taxpayers. I hope any money you get is forced to be placed into an UTMA account so that your daughter actually benefits from it, and not you. Sorry, but this "we must sue everyone for everything" era is wearing thin on me. Don't worry though, if you are successful I will hope my kid trips and gets a bruise on the playground while at school. Hopefully I will get a couple million out of that and get schools to cease playtime and remove all those dangerous slides, swings, and monkey bars.

If you believe this logistical cluster foxtrot is 1000% the responsibility of your school corporation, no wonder why schools can't afford to teach. They're too busy funding and running a daycare.

Yup, and worried about frivolous lawsuits.

It kills me that some of you people are jumping dburkhead for getting upset that a school employee put his daughter on a school bus she shouldn't have been on and dropped off in a place she wasn't supposed to be, where she was unsupervised and this was after he attempted to make sure that didn't happen, and now he is attempting to hold those same people accountable.

I understand him being upset. I don't understand his desire to blame everyone he possibly could, except him and his wife. If you want to start using comparative negligence in these cases, make sure you include everyone. In most cases, there is something the victim could have done to reduce the likelihood of the incident happening. Yea, it sounds mean to "blame the victim," but I have no problem going there when folks want to paint everyone involved as having some sort of fault in such cases, yet they themselves didn't go the extra mile or do all that they could have done.

He totally lost me with his desire to see if he could file a lawsuit. No wonder our country is so screwed up. Something doesn't go right, we sue, immediately, and we go for the jugular in terms of the amount of money we ask for. Victims in cases like this might deserve some sort of compensation, maybe a grand or so....but no, in the US we see lawsuits for damages to the tune of $50,000,000 because someone got scared for an hour or two. Then of course we have the parents who suffered "emotional trauma," and they will want $20,000,000 each. Then the neighbor got involved, likely scared for life at the sight of a scared child crying, another $10,000,000 for the neighbor. Oh, and the teacher couldn't sleep after finding out about this, she better sue her employer for a half million. This Halloween I might go around finding adults putting on scary masks to scare kids and sue them on behalf of the child. Of course such actions make me sad, so I may as well ask for a hundred grand or so myself. :D

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I disagree about the Day Care being at fault. Unless you made this "You call me, I call you" arrangement prior to the incident, I don't see how you can place any blame on them.

I'm sorry but I don't expect to have to make specific arrangements for every possible problem that might crop up. Specifically state, "if my daughter is sick, call me" and specifically state, "if my daughter has a nosebleed call me," and specifically state "if my daughter has an epileptic seizure (she has shown no tendency toward that, but it could happen) call me", or "if aliens invade and attack the daycare, call me."

Personally, I would think that the standard, "if there's any problem, call me." The daycare administrator seemed to think so when she admitted that, yes, they had made a mistake in not calling me.

That bit was a whole second issue.

In fact, while you type that you are so concerned about your daughter, and constantly harp on how badly this could have turned out, why didn't you or your wife contact the Day Care to make sure your daughter was there?
    Perhaps I should stop work every five minutes and call the school to make sure she's there and all right too? Seriously. I was not expecting any problems. I followed the procedures right down the line. I had the written form that she was supposed to be put on the day care bus and that she was supposed to go to daycare, not home, after school. And I had the verbal assurance that they were familiar with the specific daycare involved, a verbal assurance that was repeated both by the office secretary/receptionist and the principle of the school.

I had no reason to expect any problem and don't generally call when there isn't an expectation of a problem.

Now, yesterday, I did call the daycare to check. Once I became aware of a problem I then followed up to make sure that it was handled properly this time.

If you want to blame everyone, make sure to look in the mirror, because technically speaking, you didn't do everything you could have done.

I didn't sit out the school all day and watch either. There's "everything" and there's "everything reasonable."

That being said, I don't like to play the "blame everyone" game. To me, the school district, primarily the person who does bus logistics (might be at the teacher level for all I know), is the one who is to blame. The school district is 100% wrong in this, not the daycare for not calling, and not you or your wife for not doing all you could have done calling the daycare and confirming your daughter's pick-up.

I wasn't blaming the daycare, note that my wording was "the only place where they fell short." It was a minor side issue, not a major component. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that when I say on Tuesday "from tomorrow you will be picking up my daughter after school" that when she's not there on Wednesday to call me and check on it--exactly the same as I would expect a call if she got hurt or sick or had a nosebleed, all under the "if there is a problem" and "emergency contact" provisions of our actual written contract.

:rolleyes: Now only your daughter has my sympathy. Yes, she was injured. Maybe we can get a trillion dollar judgment against the school district and taxpayers. I hope any money you get is forced to be placed into an UTMA account so that your daughter actually benefits from it, and not you.

Check your assumptions. In fact, check them at the door.

If it's actionable and if I pursued action any damages awarded would be used (given my druthers) to put Athena in a private school.

Sorry, but this "we must sue everyone for everything" era is wearing thin on me.

And the backlash of "never use the law for what it's there for" is just as wearing.

Don't worry though, if you are successful I will hope my kid trips and gets a bruise on the playground while at school. Hopefully I will get a couple million out of that and get schools to cease playtime and remove all those dangerous slides, swings, and monkey bars.

I'm not talking about a bruise on the playground. I'm talking about leaving a six year old girl alone, on the street, in direct violation of not only the parents' stated, written instructions but in violation of actual school policy.

If you really think that's comparable to "a bruise on the playground" than I really have little more to say to you.

I suppose that you think that my wife suing a trucking company that rear ended her car, doing $30,000 dollars worth of damage, truck driver being cited for "speed too fast for conditions", sending my then seven months pregnant wife to the ER with bleeding from the birth canal that had us very scared about the safety of our child, and pulling me out of work to drive up to Lafayette so I could go get her and take her home (the smallest part of the whole affair), and then tried to deny responsibility for the accident when we filed the insurance claim justifies you suing someone for a million dollars for "pain and suffering" because they keyed your car.

Yup, and worried about frivolous lawsuits.

And they should be worried about non-frivolous lawsuits.

I understand him being upset. I don't understand his desire to blame everyone he possibly could, except him and his wife.

You don't understand it because it's not happening. You've somehow turned a side-note about a minor "less than perfect" into some kind of crusade.

I didn't even say I was angry at the daycare. Mind you, they were still in consideration for being in "the line of fire" for my anger in the early stages of the denoument when the possibility that they just didn't pick her up was still on the table. When it became clear that it was the school putting her on the wrong bus rather than them just not picking her up they got reduced to a "this is something that could have been done better."

If you want to start using comparative negligence in these cases, make sure you include everyone. In most cases, there is something the victim could have done to reduce the likelihood of the incident happening. Yea, it sounds mean to "blame the victim," but I have no problem going there when folks want to paint everyone involved as having some sort of fault in such cases, yet they themselves didn't go the extra mile or do all that they could have done.

Even when you have to imagine things beyond what is actually being said. Got it.

He totally lost me with his desire to see if he could file a lawsuit.

Not quite. I contacted a lawyer (not, BTW, a personal injury lawyer since I have a pretty good idea what they would say beforehand, but a defense attorney who also has experience as both a prosecutor, a judge, and a JAG) to see if the situation was actionable. It's a question of "is this actually 'actionable'" in the sense of rising to the level where a lawsuit is legitimate.

The rest is your own imagination.

No wonder our country is so screwed up. Something doesn't go right, we sue, immediately, and we go for the jugular in terms of the amount of money we ask for.

More imagination on your part. I guess you think the provision of the Constitution which allows for civil suits should be removed.

Or maybe you think instead of letting the law decide I should either just suck it up or deal with it with a baseball bat in a dark alley.

Victims in cases like this might deserve some sort of compensation, maybe a grand or so....but no, in the US we see lawsuits for damages to the tune of $50,000,000 because someone got scared for an hour or two.

And, of course, you just assume I'm asking for that.

Then of course we have the parents who suffered "emotional trauma," and they will want $20,000,000 each. Then the neighbor got involved, likely scared for life at the sight of a scared child crying, another $10,000,000 for the neighbor. Oh, and the teacher couldn't sleep after finding out about this, she better sue her employer for a half million. This Halloween I might go around finding adults putting on scary masks to scare kids and sue them on behalf of the child. Of course such actions make me sad, so I may as well ask for a hundred grand or so myself. :D

And, of course, all of those are so comparable to leaving a six year old girl alone, on the street, with no supervision in sight, in direct contravention of both written parental instructions about where the child was to go and in contravention of their own policies. :rolleyes:

BTW, while I was writing this, the lawyer called back. We had a nice chat. He said that he did think the school was liable but that assessing damages would be difficult, on the order of "if I had to leave work early to go get her, what that cost me". Fair enough.

Now, we also talked about if such an incident happened again, that would be a pattern of behavior and more serious. In that case, my thought, which the lawyer thought was doable, would be to sue to have the school put my daughter in a private school of my choice where they would see that she's taken care of properly. Now, mind you, tactically that might involve asking for a bunchaton of money up front and settling for school tuition--either as a direct payment or a trust or what have you--but the goal would be putting Athena where she can get the education she needs while seeing to her safety by those given care over her.

You might want to think that not everybody abuses the system before you start kicking with that jerking knee.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I wasn't blaming the daycare, note that my wording was "the only place where they fell short."

Sounds like passing around blame to me.

The only place where dburkhead and his wife fell short was not calling the day care to confirm delivery of their child. See, sounds like I was passing around blame to you and your wife, well, at least to me it does.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Sounds like passing around blame to me.

The only place where dburkhead and his wife fell short was not calling the day care to confirm delivery of their child. See, sounds like I was passing around blame to you and your wife, well, at least to me it does.

:rolleyes: Right because calling every five minutes to be sure people are doing what they actually agreed to do is exactly comparable to not following their own procedure for calling the parents when there was a problem with their child.

There's a difference between, "they made a mistake but not a serious one" (which is what I was basically saying) and "passing around blame." The daycare does have a policy of contacting the parents when there is a problem. It's right there in the contract that both of us (daycare and me) signed. Are you going to say that having a child not present for pickup doesn't count as a problem? To the best of my knowledge there was no requirement stated or implied that I had to call them to make sure they did what they had agreed to do.

But I have noticed that both the Right and the Left like to lump things into big categories and ignore distinctions like that. It's why I despair for the future of this country.

But you are so bound and determined to find fault with me that you just can't let it go and recognize that you overreacted.

Now, this is probably your cue to say that I overreacted. Let's see. I went to the day care, I spoke to the administrator, I said, "when Athena was missing from pickup you should have called me right away." She said, "You're right." If that counts as overreaction then I don't know what to say. That's on a par with leaving a six year old girl on the street, alone, in contravention of written parental instructions and school policy being equated with a "bump on the knee in the playground."

Is that really the extent of your argument?

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Um...what? No.
    I had transcripts/med records/etc. faxed from one school to another, dis-enrolled on a Friday, drove 1200+ miles and started in a new school on a Monday.

Very good. And you made that decision on Friday, right? You found the school then, you arranged for tuition for the new school, you arranged new transportation to a school not within walking distance or with its own bus pickup at your house, and did all that in that single weekend, right?

Or was, maybe, that weekend the end result of some time and effort spent planning and working?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Very good. And you made that decision on Friday, right? You found the school then, you arranged for tuition for the new school, you arranged new transportation to a school not within walking distance or with its own bus pickup at your house, and did all that in that single weekend, right?

Or was, maybe, that weekend the end result of some time and effort spent planning and working?

Actually, that Wednesday. My parents split up...it wasn't a planned thing. My mom basically ran away from home. When I wanted to be with her instead, I went. At that time, she wasn't really in a "take care of school stuff" mode, so if I wanted to go, it was on me. I went to my dean and my guidance counselor and followed their instructions what to do. It wasn't within walking distance and I had to give up my car. So yes, I had to find the closest correct bus & route, which happened to be almost at my new front door. Book fees from the first school were refunded in part to my father. Book fees for the other school were billed to my mom on a deferment plan. I got a job and paid for them. I got that job on the next weekend, so I guess if you count that, it all took 11 or 12 days total, but no unexcused absences to speak of and no lapses in studies other than being at different points in similar courses.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    dburkhead,

You keep talking about the school failing to follow policies. These schools can't follow their number 1 mission. To educate. They can't handle their primary responsibility, how are we supposed to think that they can make zero mistakes every single day of the school year when it comes to putting kids on busses.

I think if you spent a day in your bus driver or day care operators shoes, you wouldn't think it was unusual that your kid wasn't on the bus or come to daycare. You'd be amazed at the schedules that some kids are forced to do. Monday, they go to Mom's. Tuesday, they go to Grandmas, Wednesday they go to their Great Aunt Suzie's third cousin's neice's house. Thursday, they go to Mom's and Friday, they go to Baby Daddy's house. Now factor in that some days the kid is sick, some days they have appointments, yada, yada, yada.

If your daughter won't be at school tomorrow, do you call her teacher, her bus driver, and your daycare? You might, but how many wouldn't call every person that she would normally come in contact with that day to let them know?

If your daughter doesn't get on the driver's bus after school, it is the driver's responsibility to contact her teacher, you, etc. to find out why she didn't get on? Now is the driver supposed to do that for each and every student? Is your daycare supposed to do that for each and every kid?

I think the point that some of us are trying to make is that you do have a choice. It may not be comfortable or it may not be cheap. But you do have a choice.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Oh sure, there are religious schools that will offer lower tuition rates for members of their congregation. All I would have to do is cynically pretend to believe in their flavor of imaginary friend.

And what kind of example would that be to set for my daughter.

I am not going to join a church in which I don't believe simply to get my daughter into their school. It would be dishonest and would be teaching her dishonesty. I have looked into some other private schools and some of them do have scholarship type programs but none of them had any for which we were qualified. Maybe in a couple of years when Athena has a record of academic excellence (of which I have no doubt--she's starting first grade with close to what most kids finish in terms of reading and mathematical ability), but for now that's the hand I have.

David,

First off, I'm very glad no lasting harm other than a scare came to your Athena and I'm impressed at your restraint.

One point here, though, is that not all church-owned schools require membership... I went to two different Episcopal schools for 2nd and 3rd, then again in 9th and 10th grades, both times with the full understanding that I was not a member of their church or their religion. I even went to Jewish religious school on Sunday (what can I say? That's when they had it) instead of going to church.

Don't dismiss the idea on those grounds if you're otherwise considering it. You don't have to be a hypocrite to give your daughter an other-than-government-school education.

Blessings,
    Bill

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    One point here, though, is that not all church-owned schools require membership... I went to two different Episcopal schools for 2nd and 3rd, then again in 9th and 10th grades, both times with the full understanding that I was not a member of their church or their religion.

Exactly. The two private schools my kid went to were both Non-denom schools, even though one was owned by a Baptist church (which we did not attend).

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I gotta say I'm with David on this re: contacting everyone he contacted. I'm not sure I would have called to check on something I thought was well under control, either, and the call from the neighbor may well have preempted him from doing so shortly thereafter. Further, the concept of a lawsuit is to address a failure to complete a duty, in this case. The school had accepted a duty to take care of the arrangements he'd made. The daycare admitted their responsibility in not calling and did so both graciously and voluntarily, as soon as it was pointed out that an error was made. That doesn't excuse the error, but it makes him, from what I read, more willing to accept that it was an error and not malicious or due to indifference.

The school, from what I read, has given no apology, required his return to re-make the arrangements he'd already done, and seems to not accept any responsibility at all for their abject failure to do the job they purport to do.

He, David, had done his due diligence. If the school cannot be held responsible through the court system for their failure, what course of action should be taken to do so?

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Is this really the kind of care we can expect from our public schools?

Unfortunately, yes, this is precisely the kind and level of care we should expect from public schools.

Having no direct relationship with the "consumer", they have almost no incentive, aside from individual conscience or the miracle of a termination of one of this protected class, to ensure such mistakes do not happen.

Reason 5,419 to consider homeschooling. It is worth the sacrifices.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I gotta say I'm with David on this re: contacting everyone he contacted. I'm not sure I would have called to check on something I thought was well under control, either, and the call from the neighbor may well have preempted him from doing so shortly thereafter. Further, the concept of a lawsuit is to address a failure to complete a duty, in this case. The school had accepted a duty to take care of the arrangements he'd made. The daycare admitted their responsibility in not calling and did so both graciously and voluntarily, as soon as it was pointed out that an error was made. That doesn't excuse the error, but it makes him, from what I read, more willing to accept that it was an error and not malicious or due to indifference.

The school, from what I read, has given no apology, required his return to re-make the arrangements he'd already done, and seems to not accept any responsibility at all for their abject failure to do the job they purport to do.

He, David, had done his due diligence. If the school cannot be held responsible through the court system for their failure, what course of action should be taken to do so?

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill,

The schools are failing to educate kids, which is their primary mission. They accept no responsibility for that. They make no apologies for that. Are we able to sue schools for failing to educate? You expect anything different for a logistical failure?

----------

This is an analogy that I thought of although obviously doesn't have near the implications of the OP.

In the Army, I had a meal card. It got me free meals in the mess hall and was part of my compensation. As long as I wanted to punish my stomach, I could go to the mess hall and get a free meal. But the few times that I felt like eating something better, I had to pay the full cost of the meal plus lose the value of the free meal I didn't eat. I could have simply doomed myself to eating every single meal in the mess hall and say woe is my stomach or I could bite the bullet and pay out of pocket for something better. The Army sure wasn't going to refund me for the meals that I didn't eat.

If one is unhappy with their local school system, they can still opt to put their child in a different school. Yes it will cost you and it may not be easy, but the option is there. Or we can just throw our hands up in the air and say woe is me.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    This is an analogy that I thought of although obviously doesn't have near the implications of the OP.

In the Army, I had a meal card. It got me free meals in the mess hall and was part of my compensation. As long as I wanted to punish my stomach, I could go to the mess hall and get a free meal. But the few times that I felt like eating something better, I had to pay the full cost of the meal plus lose the value of the free meal I didn't eat. I could have simply doomed myself to eating every single meal in the mess hall and say woe is my stomach or I could bite the bullet and pay out of pocket for something better. The Army sure wasn't going to refund me for the meals that I didn't eat.

If one is unhappy with their local school system, they can still opt to put their child in a different school. Yes it will cost you and it may not be easy, but the option is there. Or we can just throw our hands up in the air and say woe is me.
    Seems like a decent analogy to me. All the years MiniJet was in private school, we were still taxed to pay for public education and busing. I don't recall any refund to offset private tuition.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I suppose that you think that my wife suing a trucking company that rear ended her car, doing $30,000 dollars worth of damage, truck driver being cited for "speed too fast for conditions", sending my then seven months pregnant wife to the ER with bleeding from the birth canal that had us very scared about the safety of our child, and pulling me out of work to drive up to Lafayette so I could go get her and take her home (the smallest part of the whole affair), and then tried to deny responsibility for the accident when we filed the insurance claim justifies you suing someone for a million dollars for "pain and suffering" because they keyed your car.

dburkhead,

Just curious. Was that $30,000 worth of damage to the vehicle alone? If so, what kind of vehicle is your wife driving? I have a car, truck and Harley that aren't worth $30,000 combined.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I think dburkhead has taken a reasonable series of steps. I don't think his expectations are reasonable, given government's track record in any endeavor.

I also think that the others here are right to suggest finding ways to fight the system. I don't see this as either/or, I see it as both/and.

To the extent that it's possible in a given person's situation, I support wholeheartedly the idea of keeping kids out of public schools. But if some people can't see a way to realistically pull it off, I'm not going to presume to know their lives better than they do. I can only say that, if you've crunched all the numbers and logistics and are consistently coming up short, there shouldn't be any shame in having given it your best thinkery.

Top Bottom