• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mx_chick_42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    Ok so how many of us were taking snipe hunting when we were kids or maybe when older? and/or have taken others Snipe hunting? what were the things you told them or were told to ge them. What were your told they looked like etc....... other things about it????? i remember when i was maybe 7 or 8 my dad and a couple other dads took us out to a cut corn field and dropped us off in hte middle of the field. Told us they had red little eyes and moved very quickly across the field. we could not shoot them we had to catch them with a net or bag. and to make a noise similiar to "garu garu". i have heard a few stories but would love tohear others from here. let me know what happened to you or what you did to others. funny stories im sure :)

ArmyMP

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Fred Paris's republik of Franklin
    I love taking people snipe hunting.... when i was younger and using the "wild" tobacco that was a weekly event.... Now Im much older and wiser and still take people snipe hunting..... Just more creative ways to do it.....

1st rule of snipe hunting is that to catch a good snipe you must consume a 4 wisemen and a six pack

2nd Rule snipes can see through traditional camo but are color blind to primary colors, so the fisherman gordon hat, flyfishing overalls, lime green hockey mask are all safe snipe camo.

3 snipes are sensitive to gun fire and shock waves can ruin the meat.... acceptable trapping methods are lobster traps, butterfly nets, and crickit bats

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    I remember being told that they were very skittish and ya had to sneak up on em with a net, but you could "call" to em which would allow ya to get close enough to net em. I wish I could recall how they were described to me at the time :rolleyes:. Round beady eyes... I think I was hooting like an owl or something to try and call one ....which is clearly why I never caught one!

I find it funny that because of the "Snipe Hunting" people think that Snipe are a made up animal when in fact it is a bird :):. I actually had someone the other day trying to convince me that they don't exist.

I can't wait for my lil boy to be old enough to take Snipe Hunting though. I'll do my best to lay it on pretty thick about the elusive Snipe.

-dcary7

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Dad got me and my brother with that when we were little. We were at the cabin and he told us that you could only catch them with your hands. They had red glowing eyes and sharp claws, so you had to catch them fast. They only came out at dark. We were scared ****less.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Last time I went snipe hunting, I used a beautifully balanced double 28ga and very knowledgeable young guide poled me though the reeds.

pokey308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    New Palestine, IN
    Oh man those were the days. Young and gulible (sp?). When we use to go camping they would set all us kids loose in the dark to go snipe hunting so the adults could have some piece. They gave us paper bags with a hole in the bottom that we stuck our finger through to wiggle like a worm has we walked around making ungodly noises to call them in. After about 30min someones dad would come running up to us kids holding a back with a stick in it so it made a noise as he shook it like one was in it.

masterblaster-c

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    indianapolis
    My dad told me of a story when he was younger his uncles did this to a few kids, told them what to look for, gave them a bag, and sent them out into the woods. A hour or so later the kids came back with the bag and something kicking around in it, turns out they caught some sort of bird and thought they actually caught the ever elusive snipe! Can you imagine sending some one out into the woods looking for soemthing that dont exist and comming back with something in a bag!!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    My brother and I were posted in the middle of a small woods with two gunny sacks while my step-dad and step-grandfather "made a march around the perimeter of the woods to scare 'em to the middle toward us." Supposedly looked like a squirrel/chipmunk mix, very quick, nasty teeth, nasty claws.

We walked out of the woods after about 1/2 hour of waiting and not hearing a darned thing. Then we heard lots and lots of laughter for the next week or so.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I never got caught because I *heard* about it before anybody tried it...so I was wise to it.
    But I've had my fair share of perpetrating. :D

The spousal unit told me when he was a little kid, his big brothers took him into their back field for a snipe hunt, circled back around the house to go in the front door and watch TV for a couple hours. LOL

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Pixar's rendition of a snipe...

up-kevin-russell-web.jpg

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    Both of my sons and several Bloomington cub scouts were sent out along the edges of field and woods arms with a grocery bag with marshmellows in them. I was the cub scout leader and told the boys to hold the bag open and when the snipe runs in to get the marshmellow to close the bag quickly. I told them it was a bird that could not fly and would not hurt them.

Top Bottom