• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    What brand/model snow tires are you planning on getting? I would recommend Firestone Winterforce for a cheaper tire and the Bridgestone Blizzaks for a more expensive option. The Winterforce are an older tread design but do quite well in the snow but the Blizzaks are a much better tire for when its not snowing. Better in the rain, slush, ice, etc.

Spudgunr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    NWI - Porter County
    Tire rack was the first place I went to and they don't sell steel rims for the Rogue.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resu...oModel=Rogue+FWD&autoYear=2013&autoModClar=SL

The most important place to have snow/good tires is the rear. Otherwise, WHEN you break traction by stopping your rear end will go to the front (spin out). So if this is front wheel drive and not AWD you'll need 4. That is what I did for my focus, $50 each for steel wheels and clearance blizzaks for around $80 each. I just change out all 4 come snow time. Plus, I now can carry a full size spare AND the donut.

MOST junk yards would charge you around $20-30 for the steel wheel.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Get studs put in them as well and go anytime.

Studs can only be put in new tires. Yea He was getting new tires. Just an FYI... On the other hand it is freaking rare to find anyone that will stud tires anymore. Tire rack was doing them. Couple years ago I tried them and they didn't want to do just 2 tires. My other studded tires were fine. Been a while but I think Zolmans in Mishawaka did them. Spin them tires and they will claw up concrete. As far as making them grip better, eh not that much, little better on ice, not much on snow. Plus it is getting limited when you can use them. Oct-April. Now I hear them talking about using soft metal studs. Wonder if I can get a stud kit off the bay???

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Spudgunr I went to your link and all I found were fancy rims. No steel stock rims like are on her car. Also as I stated in a past post about this that the junkyards around here are asking $175 for a steel rim to fit her car. No one I have called have them for the normal $30 or so dollars for a used steel rim. Also as I said in my last post I have already ordered them. They are costing me $65 each with free shipping. That is more than I had planed to spend but still not to bad.

As far as putting them on the back or getting four. That isn't going to happen. I have never had the rear come around on me driving in the past and I can't see putting snow tires on the front making that change. Then if the roads are really bad I don't go out. Just one more reason I prep.

maverick18 the Firestone Winterforce is what I have been looking at. They seem to be a good tire at a reasonable price. I know a guy that has them on his Ranger and he likes them.

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    I've had good luck buying tires on ebay. Make sure the seller on ebay has several pictures of the tires and not just a stock photo.
    Not sure where you are, but pick or pull a part are cheap on wheels... I'm fairly sure the junkyard in Maxwell (north of Greenfield) is reasonable on rims.
    Fields auto parts. Rusty has all kinda new cars out there.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Brandon thanks for the information. I just ordered two rims from Discount Tires Direct. They had them for $65 each and free shipping. That is way better than $170 used or $240 new from AutoZone. Thanks all for your help.

tatic05 the Rogue is front wheel drive so I will be putting them on the front.

It is your vehicle you can do what you want but the reasoning that you would put them on the rear is because you cannot control the rear tires. You can control the front tries but if the back end slips out there is nothing you can do. Then again "didnt do so well" does not describe what your issue was or if it was everything you/your vehicle had issues with. Accelerating, sliding, etc.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Tire Rack.com shows 16" steel wheels for the Rogue (not sure of year or model designation - 'S', etc.) for $60 ea.

It is strongly recommended not to mix summer and winter tires. Only buy winter tires in sets of 4.

The reason is because the handling characteristics between the two is significant, especially when there's snow / ice on the ground (which is likely why snow tires are being purchased in the first place).

Putting 2 'sticky' winter tires on the front of a front-wheel drive like the Rogue is only going to cause the rear to be even more 'loose' (as the weight bias is already over the front / drive wheels to begin with). Cornering ability will be significantly reduced and more difficult if only putting 2 snow tires on the front.

IOW, by only putting 2 snow tires on the front, the possibility of spinning out in a curve / corner is substantially increased. But, as noted, it's your vehicle.

For my little FWD car, I simply bought 4 cheapish 5-spoke wheels (they were only about $7/ea. more than the basic steel wheels, look better, don't need hubcaps, and the more 'open' design helps keep snow from packing into the wheel), and 4 Bridgestone Blizzaks. Couldn't be happier.

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Looks like a few others were ahead of me, but I see $60 16" steel wheels for a Rogue on TireRack.com.

Also, don't get just 2 snow tires. Replace them all.

I had good luck buying on CL. You can usually find lightly used ones for 4-500 dollars. The Rogue bolt pattern and size is pretty common.

jfw46544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hot Springs Village, AR
    Use only four.

from Tirebusiness.com
    In December 1995, Robert and Marsha Worlock went to a Les Schwab Tire Centers outlet in Newberg, Ore., to purchase tires for their DIn December 1995, Robert and Marsha Worlock went to a Les Schwab Tire Centers outlet in Newberg, Ore., to purchase tires for their Dodge Caravan. Despite the fact that a sign in the dealership and an employee both recommended studs be placed on all four tires, the Worlocks purchased only two Hercules Polar Trax studded snow tires for the front wheel positions, according to Mr. Brothers.
    On Jan. 13, 1996, Mr. Worlock lost control of his van while negotiating a curve on Route 20 near Santiam Pass. As the vehicle spun out of control, it crossed into oncoming traffic and collided with Kathryn Nelson's car, Mr. Brothers said. Both Ms. Nelson and her daughter, Christiana Nelson, who were going to visit relatives, were killed instantly. Christiana Nelson's baby, who was riding in the back seat of the car, survived the accident, Mr. Brothers said.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP:

Can I ask where in Indiana you are that you need snow tires on a front-wheel drive vehicle?

Are you in NWI / North Central and get Lake-effect snows?

-J-

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Can I ask where in Indiana you are that you need snow tires on a front-wheel drive vehicle?

Snow tires are not just for plowing through great big piles of snow. They work well on packed snow, slush, ice and other cold wet streets. The winter compound of the rubber and tread pattern really grips well. Front wheel drive is helpful when pushing the gas and going forward. But remember the time you really want control and traction is when stopping or turning. This is where snow tires really shine in their performance. Also the reason most recommend snow tires on all four wheels. My experience is near Fort Wayne, just outside the lake effect snow band.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I live in Rising Sun. Well, outside of Rising Sun up on a hill. The road up to the street I live on is steep and windy. Last year we had a lot of snow and the wife's car did a little sliding around some of the curves. At that time it had factory tires on it. The factory tires have been replaced with better tires.

I was talking with the local tire guy about snow tires and he said that the all season that I had should do fine and that around here we really didn't need snow tires. I explained where I lived and he said yes they didn't clean that road till later and getting up and down before they did he could see where snow tires would help.

Over the past 18 years of living here I have owned a Chevy Cavalier, Chevy Cobalt, Chevy Astro AWD van and have never had a problem getting around in snow. Now the Rogue is making the wife rethink her choice of cars. I explained to her that it probably was just the tires and that we would get it worked out. Her reply was that we needed to or we need to replace the car before something bad happens.

I don't want to buy a new car. A new car isn't in the budget. So that is how the snow tires came into the picture.

If I have a problem after putting the snow tires on the front I will buy two more snow tires for the rear. Then if that don't fix it we will be getting a new car. If it goes that way I will be looking for a full size four wheel drive SUV.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Women Drivers!!

Over the past 18 years of living here I have owned a Chevy Cavalier, Chevy Cobalt, Chevy Astro AWD van and have never had a problem getting around in snow.

Could the problem be your wife does not know how to drive on snow and ice? People that have limited winter driving experience may not know how to drive properly on snow and ice. Add to that the fact that last winter was quite severe for many of us compared to what we experienced the last several years. Even if she has been driving those same roads for the same 18 years as you she may not have developed the necessary winter driving skills.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    People who downplay snow tires are usually people that have never used them. I bought a set for Nokians for a Bonneville SSE I used to have. They were unbelievable. I used to drag race the guys at work who drove 4X4 trucks and suvs when our parking lot was snow covered.
    I was undefeated.:rockwoot:

My wife and I both have AWD, my son has a FWD. When all three needed new tires last fall, me and the wife got all seasons that were rated as "the best" by TireRack for snow and ice traction and the boy got a set of General Ultimax Arctics. His car easily outperforms both of ours in snow. It's not even close.

And as has been said several times, BUY FOUR.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Tire Rack.com shows 16" steel wheels for the Rogue (not sure of year or model designation - 'S', etc.) for $60 ea.

It is strongly recommended not to mix summer and winter tires. Only buy winter tires in sets of 4.

The reason is because the handling characteristics between the two is significant, especially when there's snow / ice on the ground (which is likely why snow tires are being purchased in the first place).

Putting 2 'sticky' winter tires on the front of a front-wheel drive like the Rogue is only going to cause the rear to be even more 'loose' (as the weight bias is already over the front / drive wheels to begin with). Cornering ability will be significantly reduced and more difficult if only putting 2 snow tires on the front.

IOW, by only putting 2 snow tires on the front, the possibility of spinning out in a curve / corner is substantially increased. But, as noted, it's your vehicle.

For my little FWD car, I simply bought 4 cheapish 5-spoke wheels (they were only about $7/ea. more than the basic steel wheels, look better, don't need hubcaps, and the more 'open' design helps keep snow from packing into the wheel), and 4 Bridgestone Blizzaks. Couldn't be happier.

I couldnt agree more, Blizzaks are great snow tires. The Winterforce tires are not bad I have them on a FWD Jetta and they did the job. Not like the Blizzaks though which did cost me more but were the best snow tire I have come across. I know a lot of the rally drivers in Rally America use Blizzaks for sno-drift in Michigan.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    People who downplay snow tires are usually people that have never used them. I bought a set for Nokians for a Bonneville SSE I used to have. They were unbelievable. I used to drag race the guys at work who drove 4X4 trucks and suvs when our parking lot was snow covered.
    I was undefeated.:rockwoot:

My wife and I both have AWD, my son has a FWD. When all three needed new tires last fall, me and the wife got all seasons that were rated as "the best" by TireRack for snow and ice traction and the boy got a set of General Ultimax Arctics. His car easily outperforms both of ours in snow. It's not even close.

And as has been said several times, BUY FOUR.

I'm not downplaying snow tires. I know that they work.

I'm not nearly as experienced driving in the snow as some - I've only been doing it 20 years. Most of my years were in/around southern Montgomery County. Better part of 5 years in Evansville (where people DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DRIVE IN SNOWY / ICY CONDITIONS) and on the south side of Indy since August of 2001.

I've only ever driven front-wheel-drive vehicles. I have only ever been stuck on a road/street once in my time driving. One other time I got stuck was in my un-shoveled drive way when I was 19 or so. Snow packed up under the lower engine cover just enough to keep the tires from having any purchase. The other time I got stuck it was in a residential 'hood north of Murphy's Landing. Unplowed after 6-7 hours of steady snowfall. Had to stop to drop someone off at home. If I would've been able to keep going, I'd have been just fine.

Where I've lived - I've certainly never "needed" snow tires. As long as my regular tires have been and are in good condition - I don't think that the vast majority of Hoosiers need them.

I know that folks further south of Columbus seem to get more ice than those north. I'm not sure how much snow tires would help on ice as it is.

Blizzard conditions as we had in central IN last winter - snow tires or not - most cars weren't going anywhere anyhow until the streets were plowed.

My own personal opinion is that the overwhelming majority of folks in Indiana just don't need snow tires. Better tires - sure - but not snow tires.

Top Bottom