• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indyrich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    NE INDY
    I've always been told..."its' a magazine not a clip, if you say clip you sound like an amateur" but when I ask why...no one knows exactly
    So what makes a magazine a magazine, and a clip a clip?

Is this just lingo, or is there a physical difference in the two.

Thanks in advance for the answer!

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    A clip is what you use to load rounds into a magazine, a magazine is what you use to load the rounds into the chamber, or rather where the rounds are loaded from.

For example, you may use an en bloc clip to load multiple rounds into the magazine of your Garand, and the rounds are then loaded from your magazine into the chamber via your bolt.

As far as pistols are concerned, you have magazines.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It's simple, a clip as no moving parts like springs.
    It holds rounds together and is mainly used in old styles of rifles.
    A magazine has a spring inside and is used in modern semi-auto pistols or rifles.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Good answers. IIRC, though, there is at least one handgun (I forget the type) that uses clips.

In most cases, though, it is as in the preceding posts. Clips are used to load magazines. Magazines are used to load firearms.

Blessings,
    Bill

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Good answers. IIRC, though, there is at least one handgun (I forget the type) that uses clips.

In most cases, though, it is as in the preceding posts. Clips are used to load magazines. Magazines are used to load firearms.

Blessings,
    Bill

Mauser C96 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ah the broomhandle. I figured there were an exception or two, I thank you for the correction.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The 1917 Colt and 1917 S&W revolvers use moon clips for the .45acp cartridge, as well as the S&W 610 revolver in 10mm. Also the S&W 25-2 in .45acp, as well as some others I'm sure.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    magazine2b2bvs2b2bclip.jpg

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It wasn't that long ago that the manuals of arms for such venerable pistols, such as the 1911 the US Military issued, referred to the "magazines" as "clips".

In MODERN parlance, though, esrice's photo (even though it omits moon and half/moon clips for revolver use) is correct.

-J-

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I can't believe nobody's ever asked this before!

I also can't believe there there are no IBTL's posted already.

The answers you were given are accurate. (not that you needed me to tell you)

BearArms Jim

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I once told someone that a clip was something used to hold a joint when it gets to short. They proceeded to tell me that a magazine was something you read. hmmm.

I worked in a guns shop for many years, and I noticed a certain type of people referred to magazines as "clips"
    I did not want to be thrown in with that group.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I find that "older" people, or those that probably used M1's or similar rifles in actual military service say "clip" and I for one won't correct them, because that is what they are used to, and to do so would be disrespectful in my opinion.

Younger people either just don't know the difference, or haven't taking the time to figure it out, don't care, or got all of their firearms information from Hollywood movies. I won't correct them because unless they want to learn, it doesn't matter to me.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The difference in clip and magazine is explained above, but I agree with Cru. Given that most all of the WW2 and Korean war guys call magazines and clips, by just clips, I don't know why some people get so seemingly upset by it. It is like we have a magazine police on here just waiting to bust someone for using the term clip when it should be magazine.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    i use the term using discretion. if i am hanging out with my redneck friends i say magazine tube because they all own shot guns.
    if i'm hanging out with my shooting buddies i use magazine and clip appropreiatly
    if i'm hanging out with my hood buddies i use clip exclusively.
    with my hood buddies:
    the gun = piece
    ammo = bang sticks
    barrel = noisy end
    trigger = latch. (still have no idea why they use that)

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    if i'm hanging out with my hood buddies i use clip exclusively.
    with my hood buddies:
    the gun = piece
    ammo = bang sticks
    barrel = noisy end
    trigger = latch. (still have no idea why they use that)

Do you also use the term "kill shot" when you aim with your gun turned sideways? Or is that just referred to as "aiming"?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Do you also use the term "kill shot" when you aim with your gun turned sideways? Or is that just referred to as "aiming"?
    as my brother from another mother coined it, "real gangsters don't just cock the pistol to the side, they put some force behind and push it forward when you make it go bang, it makes the bullet travel faster"

Top Bottom