• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StunnedMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah, I know. So what. My background...I've only been a gun owner for a few weeks, despite being 52 years old. I've never been anti gun, I've just never owned one. In the last few weeks I've taken two different classes and fired 800-1000 rounds at the range.

So I decided today that I'd try carrying to see what it felt like. I CC'd on a jaunt to Target, Walgreens, and Kroger. I admit that I felt very self conscious despite the fact that between the long shirt and winter coat there was zero chance anyone could possibly have known I was carrying even if they were inclined to be looking. I did find myself scanning the locations searching for "the most dangerous person in the room." It was probably me.

Also, since I was carrying a Glock with a chambered round I kept waiting for it to discharge on its own and blow a hole in my keg. Oddly, this did not happen.

In any event, the whole experience lasted only an hour or so and I was vaguely uncomfortable and sort of relieved to get home. Not sure if that's to be expected or not. I'll give it more goes for some short trips. Baby steps, I guess.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Congrats.
    You almost have to tape it to your forehead to get anyone to notice. Not that you're doing it to get people to notice. Just that you don't have to worry much.

klrbear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Congrats on your initial carry trip. Pretty soon your carry gun will feel as natural as your keys, pocket knife, cell phone. etc. It sounds like you are off to a great start with the range time and classes. Oh, and keep an eye on that Glock...I watch mine carefully too, just in case;)

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    You've already noticed the need to defend yourself and have taken the first steps in defending yourself. You've taken classes to advance your comfort level, knowledge, and familiarity of your firearm. Too bad the world isn't such a nice place that we don't feel the need to defend ourselves.
    I'm not "prey" and neither are my family, friends, and loved ones.

Tired of Lies

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    Nashville
    I grew up just outside NYC. Enlisted at 17. In my early 40's I started carrying 24/7/365 after an incident. At first I felt just like you did...even though it was only a little Beretta Tomcat I felt like I was very obvious...I wasn't. Now I feel naked without a gun.

An elderly Eskimo told me that animals sense the hunter who is armed and not afraid of them...he thought human criminals had the same sense....after a decade of cc I came to the same conclusion.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Make sure you use a good belt and holster. It sometimes takes a couple holsters to get one that works best for you. Whereas you are correct that most people wouldn't notice you carrying even if your Glock were duct taped to your head, the most tell-tale signs are usually the nervous fidgeting and constant "adjusting/checking" that most new carriers exhibit.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Awesome start! You'll get used to it and go from feeling like you did today
    to most of the time not even noticing it. Well, with a good gun belt and holster that is.:thumbsup::spend:

StunnedMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Actually, the most uncomfortable part was holstering and unholstering the loaded weapon. I'd practiced many times with an empty weapon, but today was the first time I done it while loaded. Slightly disconcerting.

Today I was using a Safariland 6378 OWB. For warmer weather I may look at an IWB, maybe a Mintotaur Mtac?

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Actually, the most uncomfortable part was holstering and unholstering the loaded weapon. I'd practiced many times with an empty weapon, but today was the first time I done it while loaded. Slightly disconcerting.

Today I was using a Safariland 6378 OWB. For warmer weather I may look at an IWB, maybe a Mintotaur Mtac?

I personally don't understand the need for holstering and unholstering...my gun stays in its holster unless I am training or cleaning it.

Tired of Lies

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    Nashville

The advice about what you use to carry it and fidgeting is great advice. We used to play a game at work while we were bored...who was carrying. Often the only clue was constant re-adjusting.

Once you get the right gear wear it around the house unloaded but tell yourself there is one in the chamber and practice talking it off and putting it back on. Within a few days or weeks it will feel like second nature.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Yeah, I know. So what. My background...I've only been a gun owner for a few weeks, despite being 52 years old. I've never been anti gun, I've just never owned one. In the last few weeks I've taken two different classes and fired 800-1000 rounds at the range.

So I decided today that I'd try carrying to see what it felt like. I CC'd on a jaunt to Target, Walgreens, and Kroger. I admit that I felt very self conscious despite the fact that between the long shirt and winter coat there was zero chance anyone could possibly have known I was carrying even if they were inclined to be looking. I did find myself scanning the locations searching for "the most dangerous person in the room." It was probably me.

Also, since I was carrying a Glock with a chambered round I kept waiting for it to discharge on its own and blow a hole in my keg. Oddly, this did not happen.

In any event, the whole experience lasted only an hour or so and I was vaguely uncomfortable and sort of relieved to get home. Not sure if that's to be expected or not. I'll give it more goes for some short trips. Baby steps, I guess.
    My first time carrying was concealed and I was a little nervous about what anyone else would think. After a few years of carrying on my own time and OCing at work I came to realize that as long as I know what the law says and don't act like a fool it doesn't matter and the nervous feeling soon went away.

StunnedMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I personally don't understand the need for holstering and unholstering...my gun stays in its holster unless I am training or cleaning it.

You know, that never occurred to me. I keep both my handguns in a gunvault next to the bed (we have kids) but I never considered that I could put the holstered gun in the safe rather than removing it.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood

My first time carrying was concealed and I was a little nervous about what anyone else would think if they spotted me carrying. After a few weeks of carrying I came to realize that as long as I know what the law says and don't act like a fool it doesn't matter and the nervous feeling soon went away, but I noticed that my situational awareness went up and my willingness to get confrontational with anyone went down.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Great job on the training and range time. There are a lot of other new gun owners discovering the shooting and self defense world for the first time too. I think people are coming to it later in life after realizing most of what they hear in the media these days is complete :bs: and they see the value in protecting themselves. Welcome to the club.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

.?

That too is normal. I have a question. You mentioned in the OP that you have taken two classes, you didn't holster or unholster your gun in either one of those?

Top Bottom