• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I think the only way you can make it work is under the following conditions.

#1. You are looking for high power hunting rounds.
    #2. You are wanting a special load for something like turkey shoots.
    #3. You are loading something other than 20's or 12's.
    #4. You are using reclaimed shot.

I used to reload 12's for around $1.90 per box. Went through recently and did the math game just to check and was finding I could press a box now for $.50 less than buying a box....I can't justify reloading anymore.... I think the price for the shot is the killer.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    For me it's the process and and having something to do when it's crappy outside... like right now. Hulls cost me me about a nickle for AA Once fired. Shot a little over forty a bag and Win. Primers thirty two a thousand. It's pretty much a zero sum gain as far as cash goes but I like making bullets. The down side is the powder which I use also for my pistol rounds has been scarce at times. You won't save much if anything doing shotgun, but it's fun for me, and that's why I work because my hobbies are expensive. There are savings to be had with pistol and some rifle, but like it's been talked about here before,you shoot more so the savings are moot.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    You can usually pick up all the hulls you want free anyplace they shoot trap or skeet. I use anything Remington, they still use a one piece hull, which is what you want. You will find a lot of Federals also, which have a paper base wad. They load good also, but I only used them once and pitched them, and never if found wet.

Dave

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Pistol and rifle is worth reloading but I can't make shotgun worth it. I've looked at it several times.

Today I bought a 100 pack for less than $22 at walmart. $5.50 a box, as others have said, is good enough without having to spend any time loading them. And it seems like they just keep going down right now.

Even the AA's and STS are down to $7.87 and they had several shelves full of them! The other day I even saw .410 AA's for $7.87. That's pretty darn cheap compared to the last few years. With a plentiful supply. Hopefully we can get back to realistic prices in the next couple of years.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I load for cowboy action. The prices for most suitable CAS loads start at $8 a box or so. I can load to my specs for $5.50/box in the recent past. I just stopped in Slander Mountain (for the last time ever!!!) and they wanted 60.00 for a bag of shot! I had just bought two bags for $42.00 each and just found a supplier at $38.00. Hulls for 0.05 each, primers at 30.00/1000, wads at $11.00/500. Prices as of 1/7/16.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Where did you see 410 for that cheap?

Indy Arms. The newer (and best public one I've seen around here) range off Keystone. All the AA's were the same price, regardless of caliber. I was pretty surprised. I rarely shoot 410 any more but I've got to get over there this week and buy some more so don't buy it all :)

Top Bottom