So I have these bullits, should I buy a gun for them?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I have this new son-in-law who is originally from across the pond. No guns allowed over there. He marries into my Redneck (smile when you say that) family and has gone nuts. He has been introduced to the firearm. Yes, we have created a monster. He runs out and grabs whatever he can. Now normally I don't shine to anything I can't fit my finger in the end of. He goes and buys 18000 (yup. that's 18k) rounds of 223. He lives in a subdivision. I live on a farm. Guess where he shoots. So since he bought all that pea-shooter stuff, should I buy something in that caliber so I can shoot for free? Yea. I know. Dumb question.

NOTICE: I have terrible internet service and it has taken me 35 minutes to get this far into the forum. It will take another 10 or so to post this, if it does. It'll be a while getting back in here.
    Do NOT buy a .223/5.56mm rifle!!!!
    Buy at least two......
    More if you can afford them. :D

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    When faced with the question: "Should I buy a gun?" I have a hard time thinking of a time when the correct answer would be 'no'. :laugh:

Well the answer is no. When faced with the question, "Should I buy a gun" one should understand that it is inherently wrong to buy "a" guy...one should be "many" guns. :D

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    Everyone one here is looking at this all wrong. He shouldn't even consider buying a gun. He should charge his son in law a rental fee for using his land to shoot on. 18K rounds is a lot to pump into someone's land. I'd say for the fee , a purchase of an AR for the land owner is fair compensation.:):

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Ductape (et alia),

I believe I would go the road less traveled by, so I may humbly disagree with some chaps on here.

This is America, the land of diversity and a melting pot of cultures. While your new son in law has acquired a taste for American ammo he should never forget his roots.

Thus, a Lee Enfield No I Mk III taking .303 British will help him remember his roots and help you respect a round that has served His Majesties Service for over 50 years.

However, in response to recognizing a British round from WWI we should also then recognize the American dough-boy's round and venture into a .30 - 06 caliber along with a good old fashioned M1903 to complement the Lee Enfield.

Once you take the path of diversity you may encounter the .45 ACP for pistols, along with the Webley Revolver in .455.

Remember, in America we respect the history and culture of all who came here. Once you begin down this path of diversity there will be NO turning back! Trust me, I know...

Soon, you will have thousands of rounds of various calibers and dozens of weapons to enjoy making them go boom.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Doug

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    When it comes to purchasing another firearm, any reason is a good reason! :yesway:

For example:

I had a good day at work.

I had bad day at work.

I don't feel like cutting the grass.

I don't feel like shoveling the snow.

I stubbed my toe.

I smell bacon cooking.

My wife is mad at me.

My wife is a good cook.

My wife said I have too many guns.

My wife said I don't have enough guns.

My wife wants her own pistol.

President Obama doesn't want me to buy another gun.

My truck must have auto-pilot because it always ends up in the LGS parking lot.

Pick one of the above or make up your own. They're all good.

Because some guy named Mark1911 told me to. I thought it was prophetic.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    To Ductape (et alia),

I believe I would go the road less traveled by, so I may humbly disagree with some chaps on here.

This is America, the land of diversity and a melting pot of cultures. While your new son in law has acquired a taste for American ammo he should never forget his roots.

Thus, a Lee Enfield No I Mk III taking .303 British will help him remember his roots and help you respect a round that has served His Majesties Service for over 50 years.

However, in response to recognizing a British round from WWI we should also then recognize the American dough-boy's round and venture into a .30 - 06 caliber along with a good old fashioned M1903 to complement the Lee Enfield.

Once you take the path of diversity you may encounter the .45 ACP for pistols, along with the Webley Revolver in .455.

Remember, in America we respect the history and culture of all who came here. Once you begin down this path of diversity there will be NO turning back! Trust me, I know...

Soon, you will have thousands of rounds of various calibers and dozens of weapons to enjoy making them go boom.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Doug

My collection of old war pieces started, quite by accident, from the other side of the Pacific.
    I had a couple of old "war-horses" find me. I got hold of a Type 99 Arisaka in 7.7 Jap. It has the anti-aircraft sights and an intact mum! I also got a 1943 Enfield SMLE .303 British made in Lithgow Australia.
    Both are in a little rough shape as far as furniture goes, but both are solid shooters.

I ended up trading my labor for these two, and a few more domestic firearms but not war stuff. I figure I have about 6 hours worth of labor fr the two rifles. ;)

I have a couple of Mosin-Nagants, a 91/30 and a T53.

Now I need to work on the Atlantic side of the globe, then western Europe.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I haven't ventured into the 5.56 small caliber yet, built an LR -308 and have a lot of big bores, but if I could shoot free I sure would invest in an AR. Might wait a month or so for the prices to settle down a little though. I do have a couple of RR AR lowers so may built a couple later - wanted to assemble a 450 Bushmaster but parts aren't available right now so just holding.

ductape

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Wow! I love you guys! I guess this means I should get a 22 pistol and/or rifle as well. He bought 3000 rounds of 22's too. He got the fever just before the president got the disease. The frenzy hadn't started yet. I just found out last weekend he bought so much. I will not pay the current prices for the guns at this moment. I will however talk a couple a thousand rounds away from him until the prices drop on them. I think 5 or 6 thousand rounds should be a fair fee for using my property, don't you? At least for THIS summer anyway.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Wow! I love you guys! I guess this means I should get a 22 pistol and/or rifle as well. He bought 3000 rounds of 22's too. He got the fever just before the president got the disease. The frenzy hadn't started yet. I just found out last weekend he bought so much. I will not pay the current prices for the guns at this moment. I will however talk a couple a thousand rounds away from him until the prices drop on them. I think 5 or 6 thousand rounds should be a fair fee for using my property, don't you? At least for THIS summer anyway.

Looking at current ammo prices, you may be able to sell off some of his extra stock to purchase a gun to shoot whats left. :)

Top Bottom