So I shot an AR for the first time yesterday...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    I couldn't stop smiling. Call me silly, but I felt butterflies in my stomach getting to shoot it. It was everything I had ever wanted - except one thing: Not enough recoil :dunno:. It's got a regular stock recoil buffer in the lower with an MOE stock, and it's a Gas Piston Upper (perhaps that has something to do with it?). Shot 55gr .223 TulAmmo.

Either way, it was still more fun than I've had shooting any of the handguns I've ever owned. I had to post a picture of it in the avatar, which was tough to do seeing how I loved using Walter White, being the badass that he is.

Despite my wannabee-manliness :cool:, I did love the low recoil on this gun as it made follow up seem pretty easy. Perhaps one of these days I'll push myself into a Mosin Nagant or a Maverick 88 to get the kick in the shoulder I want for some odd reason.

Never enough range time, especially with school starting tomorrow :n00b:

Oh yeah, yay for post #500!

tightlines

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    West of Indy
    I recently purchased my first AR and cannot get enough. It's an addiction. Loading the last magazine is always a depressing time at the range. A couple hundred rounds go quickly with such a fun gun.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    The low recoil is why it is fun, since you can shoot quickly, and accurately. I just put a magnified scope on one of mine though, and I definitely noticed the recoil a lot more, because I had to re-center aim after each shot.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    The low recoil is why it is fun, since you can shoot quickly, and accurately. I just put a magnified scope on one of mine though, and I definitely noticed the recoil a lot more, because I had to re-center aim after each shot.

I don't see it as fun, I see the low recoil making it absolutely functional though. Maybe in more time I'll find it fun :dunno:

And also, I can see where a higher powered optic (anything 4x + maybe) would be noticeably recoil sensitive to follow up - I was using my Vortex Strikefire with the regular 1x / no magnification - I never did try out my 2x magnifier, might just have to give that thing a shot...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Awesome you got your wife to shoot an AR, or shoot period. My wife is impossible with firearms :rolleyes:
    She is the same way with pistols. She likes to shoot her 9 or the .45. I got her to try the .22 Buckmark though. She said that wasn't fun at all.

Jimb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 11, 2012
    Cicero
    Give the AR10 a test drive if your looking for more recoil. personally though...the lack of recoil is a bonus to most tactical shooters.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I couldn't stop smiling. Call me silly, but I felt butterflies in my stomach getting to shoot it. It was everything I had ever wanted - except one thing: Not enough recoil :dunno:. It's got a regular stock recoil buffer in the lower with an MOE stock, and it's a Gas Piston Upper (perhaps that has something to do with it?). Shot 55gr .223 TulAmmo.

Either way, it was still more fun than I've had shooting any of the handguns I've ever owned. I had to post a picture of it in the avatar, which was tough to do seeing how I loved using Walter White, being the badass that he is.

Despite my wannabee-manliness :cool:, I did love the low recoil on this gun as it made follow up seem pretty easy. Perhaps one of these days I'll push myself into a Mosin Nagant or a Maverick 88 to get the kick in the shoulder I want for some odd reason.

Never enough range time, especially with school starting tomorrow :n00b:

Oh yeah, yay for post #500!

Go with the 12 gauge shotgun over a Mosin if you want to feel some recoil. I'm not really sure where people get that a Mosin Nagant kicks bad.

I do enjoy the AR. Got a rifle and a pistol (that will be an SBR in the future). The best part of the AR is the low recoil. Quick follow up shots and still decent power.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Get a Springfield 1903-A3 and shoot some 30-06. Especially in a timed rapid fire event, that light infantry rifle will smack the crap out of you. Those soldiers were a touch bunch of boys in WW I and WW II. I have shot safari type cartridges like .458 WIN, .375 H&H and .470 Nitro that were worse, but those hunting arms were not designed for fire fights in a theater of war. Glad you enjoyed the little black gun. The .223 is about all I can really afford to shoot these days.

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    I wonder how many shots you fired. Recoil get old with the big guns after a bit. I often go to the woods with several of my friends and take 2 AR's, 1 AK, 1 Saiga 308 and something else from the collection. We normally take a minimum of 500 rounds each. Everyone loves to shoot the AK's and 308 but after a mag or two everyone end's up shooting the AR's for the rest of the time. Recoil is fun for a few rounds but I don't really enjoy shooting a few hundred rounds of 7.62 but I can literally shoot 500 rounds no problem with the AR's and still enjoy it.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    I wonder how many shots you fired. Recoil get old with the big guns after a bit. I often go to the woods with several of my friends and take 2 AR's, 1 AK, 1 Saiga 308 and something else from the collection. We normally take a minimum of 500 rounds each. Everyone loves to shoot the AK's and 308 but after a mag or two everyone end's up shooting the AR's for the rest of the time. Recoil is fun for a few rounds but I don't really enjoy shooting a few hundred rounds of 7.62 but I can literally shoot 500 rounds no problem with the AR's and still enjoy it.

Nowhere near enough :(

As I stated, I do in fact like the fact that it kicks so little - it will be a good rifle to bump my daughters up to after I introduce them and familiarize them with a 22LR.

At the end of the day, I'm an amateur. I'm going to see about attending my first appleseed to try and learn my rifle better and some helpful suggestions on shooting it.

I do want something to kick me around, but only because I feel it would give me more of maybe a "rush", if that's one way to describe it. I have a double barrel 20 guage that at least gives me a little feel in the shoulder, perhaps I should pull it out this weekend!

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I would like to see you say that after pullin the trigger on 60 rounds of 30-06 in a day from a bolt action rifle. You quickly grow tired of large amounts of recoil when there is no relief from it.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    I would like to see you say that after pullin the trigger on 60 rounds of 30-06 in a day from a bolt action rifle. You quickly grow tired of large amounts of recoil when there is no relief from it.

Hand me a 30-06 with 60 rounds and lets make it a day! :rockwoot:

:dunno: I need some kind of thrill in life, I work 13.5 hour days and I've got a wife who's a stay at home mom / two baby girls (no free time @ home). When I go out, I want to do things right and have some fun. What would you rather do for fun, plink around with a Ruger 10/22 on a small steel spinning target or explode some water bottles with a larger caliber rifle? I personally prefer the water bottles.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Tula is notoriously underpowered. Get some 5.56 ammo and you will feel a little more recoil. It will still not be like a .308 but it might feel a little stronger. You might be able to put in a lighter buffer too. That will make it sting a little more.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    im in the same boat as you....but i normally go out and shoot my .22 at a 2" spinner target at 100 yards. because then i am working on a skill that translates to all rifles. I have done 60 rounds of 30-06 in about 4 hours and im not some thin skinned fairy....but it beat my shoulder pretty hard. its not real fun after a while.

I guess to me i get a thrill when i pull off shots (consistently) that i used to think were im possible for me or at least not repeatable. That tells me im becoming a better shooter because anyone can go out and pull a trigger and send rounds down range...but very few people become proficiant with a weapon.

To each their own though...i have an AR-15 and like to shoot it. My buddy has an AR-10 and i have shot it a fair amount. I like mine better and so does he. it just make for a better day of shooting and it doesnt weigh a ton. I reload also and i have some long range "hot" loads that kick quite a bit more than the standard .223 rounds .

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    I'm not really sure where people get that a Mosin Nagant kicks bad.

The Mosin Nagant 91/30 doesn't kick much at all, but if shoot a M44 Mosin Nagant with heavy hunting ammo 200gr up it will kick fairly hard.
    Hard enough that you won't like to do any sight adjustments on them where you will need to do repeated shots.:twocents:

Top Bottom