SO I start CO training for Putnamville Correctional Facility next month...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rafterman191

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Terre Haute
    and I have a few questions. First, I have a BS in Criminology and I am looking to get into case management for DOC. How soon would I be looked at for a transfer to that kind of position assuming one becomes available? Also, what is the CO culture and overall facility culture there? I know the place used to have a bad rap for AB affiliation within CO ranks. Also, do you have any general suggestions on how to both fulfill my orders and stay out of harms way in the process. I have worked juvenile detention before, and juveniles are generally more unpredictable, hostile, and unstable than adults, but obviously it is a medium security prison and there are the associated risks. Lastly, anyone interested in buying a pair of size 12 Magnum 8 in boots? I didn't realize INDOC provided footwear :):

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Prepare to be tested. Enforce rules equally across the board. Dont go in and try to act like billy bada$$ cause they wil be determined to show you that you arent. Respect and understand the fact that in corrections, control is an illusion. They can take over any prison at any given time if they wanted. Respect that fact, but do not show fear, they will eat it up. I promise you that most of the guys in prison just want to do their time and get out, not mess with you. At the same time, they do not want to be messed with. That doesnt mean do not do your job, it just means to give them respect as humans...even if they are inmates. Usually when someone gets assaulted and co-workers hear about it the initial response is "figures". Thats because they ask for it in a sense. Even though they are in orange, give them respect. Doesnt mean you have to like them, but give them respect and you will get it in return for the most part. I have been IDOC for 6 years and havent been attacked or anything crazy. I have only went hands-on twice and that was to break up inmates. I believe you can laterally transfer within the state after your 6 month period is up. Although if someone else with a degree and more senority goes for the position they will likely get it. As I stated That is my advice from 6 years in IDOC, 1 year and counting as SGT. Good luck. Any more questions feel free to shoot me a message.

comanche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2013
    my son worked at Putnamville and disliked it. He moved to Carlisle and likes it somewhat better. Like Robby said, there is NO air conditioning there and he said it gets extremely hot causing the 'offenders' get highly agitated. He had a lot of other things to say but I don't remember what they were....I'm hoping he gets out of the DOC all together. I don't like the fact that at Putnamville you are unarmed walking amongst the offenders. His first week there he had to throw a guy against the wall and called backup to handcuff the guy. At least at Carlisle most are behind bars. He has a job interview outside the DOC and I've got my fingers crossed. They don't pay DOC employees nearly enough for what they have to put up with. And being bottom of the food chain most get night shifts, 12 hour days and makes it rough to do anything normal.

rafterman191

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I job shadowed there last Sunday so I got to feel the heat in the dorms somewhat. No AC is definitely something to contend with but it seemed to keep everyone busy just trying to stay cool. I like your take jfed85. Be fair, straight forward, approachable but keep it short and respectful both ways. I am there to make sure they get out when they are supposed to, so they need to just let me do my job.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    There will be a lot of people who tell you it sucks, its thankless, doesn't pay squat, etc. A lot of people who have worked there a long time will be jaded and rude to you at first. I promise you that it isn't that bad. Ive been idoc for 6 years and I actually enjoy my job. Take it for what its worth and be professional and respectful to the inmates (as I said, that will be hard at times). A good rule is to not try to look people up and see what they are in fir because even if you dont mean to you will be biased towards certain people and treat them differently. Being consistent in the way you treat people will go a long way to get you the respect you deserve from the folks in khaki. Don't try to be "supercop". At the end of the day your job is to make sure that you and your co-workers go home safe at 6. You will probably think everyone is a prick at first becausethey will know you are new and as I said before YOU WILL BE TESTED. Just keep in mind its a test and the inmates want to see what kind of character you are, once they know you demand respect and are fair, you will have that respect.

Top Bottom