So Lo and Behold, I wander into Dave's by Holland and what do I find.....But....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    .... the perfect basis for the most badass of HD shotguns to ever grace these pages.

Price to play? $125.00

Now, links to an extensive education on Remington 870's and suggestions on mods and components would be appreciated.

attachment.php

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    24Carat,
    Congratulations.......I'm jealous. Wish I could find one of those. It would give me an excuse to put another one together.
    As to suggestions, I guess it depends on what direction you want to go and how much you want to spend. I'm assuming you have the bolt assy, mag spring and follower. So all you NEED is a barrel, forearm and stock. Beyond that, the sky's the limit.
    Here's a couple pics of my HD 870. This is based on 50 years of shotgun shooting, 30 years of playing around with tactical shotguns, and just what I like and am willing to pay for. A lot are unnecessary but nice.
    Starting from the front:
    Eighteen inch factory barrel with Remchokes.
    Scattergun ghost ring front sight.
    Scattergun magazine extension with enhanced follower.
    GG & G quick detach front sling mount.
    Eotech forearm with light.
    GG & G sidesaddle.
    Scattergun large head safety.
    GG & G quick detach rear sling mount.
    Scattergun ghost ring rear sight.
    Scattergun standard stock.
    Now all of these mods will dramatically increase your $125.00 investment. And you may not desire or need all of them.
    I like an 18 inch barrel because I want it as short as legally possible.
    I like the Remchoke because it allows me to adjust the size of the pattern with various loads.
    I like the ghost rings because they allow me to adjust the point of impact and they are as fast as a bead for me.
    I like the Eotech because it offers 120 lumens of LED light in momentary, strobe, and constant on options as well two pressure switches and an on/off switch so you won't run down your batteries in a case. (I don't really like the looks but it's $150.00 less than a Surefire. The newer ones have omitted the hand stop and appear a little more graceful.)
    I like quick detach sling mounts and have them on almost all of my "tactical" guns for obvious reasons.
    The mag extension and larger safety should need no explanation.
    And finally, after shooting shotguns for so long I find the conventional stock more to my liking. (A pistol grip just feels weird to me.)
    So, for what it's worth that's how I set mine up. You have an excellent beginning.........so enjoy your build.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    They sell just the receiver when they get a beat to hell cheap shotgun in.
    My brother bought one years ago.
    His is on the right. I think he bought a cheap $50 barrel at an auction and I gave him the stock and mag extension.
    870s-mar10-001.jpg

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Am I correct that the earlier 870's were steel receiver / frames and transitioned to aluminum later? When?

Best site for serial number decoding?

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    INPatriot,
    Thank you sir. I've owned a number of them in different configurations with different accessories and finally ended up with that one.

24Carat,
    No.........all 870 receivers are steel. The express models use a polymer trigger guard.
    Check this site out. (Don't think it will help you much without the barrel.)
    Dating a Wingmaster - The Firing Line Forums

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    INPatriot,
    Thank you sir. I've owned a number of them in different configurations with different accessories and finally ended up with that one.

24Carat,
    No.........all 870 receivers are steel. The express models use a polymer trigger guard.
    Check this site out. (Don't think it will help you much without the barrel.)
    Dating a Wingmaster - The Firing Line Forums

The entire trigger assembly (including the guard) seems to be aluminum with that crinkle finish akin to a bed liner type of consistency. It had been abraded and is peeling off of the aluminum trigger guard.

Top Bottom