• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I believe Ultramax has been the cause of other Kabooms before due to over chargers and incorrect powders being used. It does happen from time to time.

Do not shoot any more of that ammo, and make sure you have the lot number. Even if the ammo is ok, Ultramax will likely want you to send it back and confirm.

Quick google search turned up some other examples of Ultramax ammo having case failures. To be clear, I'm not throwing them under the buss like has been done on other forums, just stating that this has happened. I think in many of the cases Ultramax replaced the firearm and or had it repaired at no cost to the owner.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-541836.html

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Glad that you weren't injured seriously.

In nearly 50 years, I don't think I've ever seen a case failure just like that in your photos. Just ahead of the extraction groove, yes, a very few. In that groove, no. Very strange and a bit disturbing.

As I was unfamiliar with the brand, I did a Google and went to their website. From what I could gather there, it would appear that most, if not all, of their ammunition is "remanufactured". This assumption would seem to be bourne out by the "FC" shown on the case in your photo's headstamp. IMHO, this could be a potential issue for you, warranty-wise, when you contact Kahr. Virtually every brand of handgun I've ever purchased had a specific clause which declares the warranty will be voided if "handloaded or remanufactured ammunition" is used. Don't know if this is the case with Kahr products, but you might want to check your manual.

One possible cause for the case failure might be that the bullet was somehow "set back" into the case upon feeding, which could very well cause a major-league pressure spike and cause the case to rupture. I have seen this sort of thing before, but usually the failure occurs just forward of the extractor groove where the case is partially unsupported at the feed ramp in some pistols. The logical culprit in most of these instances would seem to be poor bullet fit with the particular case and/or a weak "crimp".

Hopefully, Kahr will go ahead and fix it for you under warranty. If they don't, your only recourse may be to contact Ultramax and seek redress from them. Good luck either way.

I did know about the remanufactured ammo when I was shooting it, but given that it is still "professionally" or at least machine done I was willing to try it. The Ultra max does run great in my 9mm AR, maybe it has a deeper chamber.

Glad your ok. How many rounds of lead bullets have you shot through the polygonal rifling of the Kahr in the past? Most likely a over charged round though.

I haven't fired any lead through it, yesterday was going to be the first time of it, but I was trying some of the FMJ's first. I did buy the gun used though, so I can't say what they did with it, though I've brush a brush through the bore enough times to have removed any lead fouling anyways. In either case I'll be contacting Kahr with the full story and will just pay for my lesson learned if I have to.

I really can't go full bore after either company in good conscience, when I was shooting something they don't recommend.
    If/when I get a fully functional PM9 back up, I'll just go back to the New ammo that its proven so reliable and accurate with.

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    Glad you were very fortunate in not being seriously injured in this kaboom. Will be interesting as to how Kahr will respond. Are you going to contact the ammunition company also?
    Hope you have a Happy New Year and get another pistol soon!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Glad you're ok.
    I have seen lead bullets leave enough residue to not let the cartridge fully seat and expose enough of the case to blow out the back of the brass.
    I wouldn't shoot anymore of the unjacketed bullets in any auto.
    I'd like to hear the final verdict on cause and damages.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Glad you're ok.
    I have seen lead bullets leave enough residue to not let the cartridge fully seat and expose enough of the case to blow out the back of the brass.
    YES, me too, I am going to stay away from ultramax till I hear the "rest of the story" .....

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Glad you're ok.

Once again, these were NOT lead bullets :) Full metal Jackets. The plan was to try the lead nosed rounds after the FMJ's, but we didn't get to it (what with the explosion and all)

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Glad you're OK!

I bet Kahr will take care of it. I have a PM45 and when it was new the slide lock/takedown lever wanted to walk itself out of the pistol when firing. They sent a shipping label and I had it back quickly. Not the same situation as yours, but Kahr's service was excellent.

I use WWB for practice, and fire the Federal HST's that I carry with every month or so... just loading and unloading rounds can cause bullet setback so I just shoot them whereas some people have success with rotating the round's position in the mag.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Glad to hear you are basically okay. Isn't Ultramax reloaded ammo? Some info from the Kahr FAQ:

I've never heard of the grip panel popping open before, but it seems to fit your case.

Many pistols, Kahr included, are designed with specific panels / parts that will, in event of a case rupture / Kb, blow out to relieve the pressure. Kind of like a crumple zone in a vehicle. Very common.

Looks like ultramax just bought you a new gun. Good to see you're safe.

This.

What happened doesn't seem to have been Kahr's fault. Contact Ultramax first. Be prepared to take MANY more photos....keep track of the other ammo in the box AND the lot number (should be on the inside of one of the closing flaps on the box)

If you have access to a sizing die and/or a micrometer, measure remaining ammo for issues, too.

-J-

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It looks like the round went off prier to the slide going fully engaged into battery. Someone stated early in thread the firing pin could have been stuck in the forward or protruding position. That would be one explanation for the rd. going early. Still pretty darn scary.
    This could have been far worse.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I saw a special on rounds that were improperly seated or pushed to deeply into the casing that would tear up a gun like this. I do not re-load but it said to little air space for expansion??? I am no expert but it was about explosions similar to this one.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I saw a special on rounds that were improperly seated or pushed to deeply into the casing that would tear up a gun like this. I do not re-load but it said to little air space for expansion??? I am no expert but it was about explosions similar to this one.

Yea, bullet set-back or a bullet simply seated initially too deep would be my first thoughts. If it was seated too deep when loaded rather than set-back from the chambering process, a quick inspection of the remaining rounds for OAL might shed a little light.

Although quite possible, I just think a double/over charge gets the blame too often.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I have never had that happen with a handgun before, but I did have a case rupture with my M91/30 once. Glad I had my safety glasses on because it blew hot gases and powder all over my face! Crapped my pants. I was lucky to get the dicked up case out of the gun-took a while.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I have also blown up a Kahr pistol. Posted the below story in April.

"OK, I fess up. After 40 years of shooting, I finally experienced my first KABOOM! Was wearing eye and ear protection at the time. Was not so much scared as I was annoyed that I blew up my Kahr E9 9mm pistol. A couple of days before, I had purchased a bunch of loose 9mm rounds from a dealer. He gets partial boxes of ammo, in on trades and sells the ammo at cost or less. I sorted through them and bagged them up by standard 9mm, +P and +P+. I missed one and a +P+ ended up in my Kahr. When I fired it, the pistol stung my hand, the mag floor plate blew out and the spring and rounds dropped to the ground. I cleared the pistol, dropped the mag and looked for the casing. The case was three feet directly in front of my position and had the side of the case head blown out. There on the case rim was the 9mm +P+ stamping. I took the pistol apart and discovered the right grip panel was cracked. The barrel, frame, and rest of the pistol looked OK. I lubed it, put it back together, reset the grip panel and loaded a different magazine with one round. It fired and functioned fine. Loaded up some more mags with some WWB ammo and the pistol worked for 50 more rounds. Bottom line, I was at fault for not paying attention to detail on my ammo. My eye and ear protection worked flawlessly and Kahr pistols are tough."

Since I posted the above story, I've put another 500 flawless rounds through the E9.

Top Bottom