So my wife took my 1yr old to the doctor ...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JDvader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Evansville, IN
    My wife and son went to the doctors office for his 1yr checkup. Here is the conversation when she came home...

Her: The checkup went fine, they gave him 4 shots.

Me: Good, so nothing wrong?

Her: no he's very healthy, a little short for his age but nothing to worry about.

Me: (nodding my head) he's only 1, plenty of time to grow.

Her: they asked me a lot of questions.

Me: what kind of questions?

Her: One of them was "are there guns in your home"

Me: (in a worried tone) What did you say?

Her: (a little nervous) I said yes, they asked them so quickly and logged them in a computer, I didn't have time to think.

Me: (in an angry tone) why would you tell them that? They don't need to know that at a doctors office. It's just a back door attempt of gun control by the government.

Her: what do you mean? Don't they already know you have guns?

Me: yes, all the 3 letter agency's know. But this is a different system, our names are now in a database, and if anyone of us ever is deemed unfit by even the lowest ranked Dr, nurse, tech, psychiatrist, dentist, etc. they can take every gun and round of ammo we own. That means if ten years from now you tell your Dr you are depressed and he writes you a prescription for anti- depressants, a little red flag will pop up in a computer somewhere and some branch of gov could come and disarm this house.

Her: (apologetically) that can't be right, I'm sorry, I didn't think/ know what they were asking that for.

Me: (shaking my head) well, no use crying about it now.

So I've got that going for me....which is nice!

JDvader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Evansville, IN
    I'm really not that worried about it, I of course overreacted with my wife. And it sounds so dramatic the way I typed it out. But I do remember hearing about this a few years back on the conservative radio circuit. I thought it was just some tin foil hat stuff used to try and scare their audiences into disapproving of Obummercare. But they are out there asking, so it must be needed for something.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I use the VA mostly but also a private practice doctor. I was asked about the guns. "None of your business" immediately came out of my mouth.
    It was in a sarcastic tone as I was wearing my shoulder rig and 1911. BIG sign on his office entrance door for "NO WEAPONS ALLOWED"
    Mine knows I carry 100% of the time and I took his receptionist to dinner and shooting on my place the next day.
    She'd never shot a gun and IF I continue to let her shoot I'm going to have to find more .22LR. She's a great shot (with scoped rifle) LOL!
    I think most of the staff in his office actually are armed and carry. At least that's the chatter I'm hearing anyway.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    It has been happening for years.

Back in 1999 I had a doctor ask me if I "believe in guns", after he saw the trapshooting tee shirt I was wearing, that I bought from a vendor at the Spring Grand in Las Vegas. I told him this country was finished if the time ever came when you couldn't buy or own a gun. I walked out of his office after I demanded my medical records. I told them why, and never went back to the jackass again. Neither did my wife.

Today, between Obama Care, and their sudden concern over people actually supporting the Second Amendment, these guys had better watch it. Or they're going to be working second jobs to pay off their student loans from their overpriced liberal medical schools.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wife and I have no children at home but we have had this conversation with our children as they are regularly at the Dr. office with the G-kids.
    No is the answer. A doctor has no need of this info and yes it is a back door attempt to get a full data base of where the guns are. Any one thinking differently needs to push away from the KoolAide.....quickly.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Wife and I have no children at home but we have had this conversation with our children as they are regularly at the Dr. office with the G-kids.
    No is the answer. A doctor has no need of this info and yes it is a back door attempt to get a full data base of where the guns are. Any one thinking differently needs to push away from the KoolAide.....quickly.
    This^^
    its not that we as gun owners are paranoid and crazy. It's that the anti-gun crowd IS crazy and paranoid and are sticking their fingers into anything they can to build a database or disarm us. Charleston Heston said "from my cold dead hands". If the risk is worth the reward then come and take them big boys. That's what that means and that's why we have the second amendment.
    you hope you never have to defend your life with a gun but if/when you do you'll be glad you have one.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    You don't say "none of you business". you say no. No I don't have any guns. That's all you say. Don't drag out the soapbox, don't start a debate. Just say "I have no guns" and stop talking.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    I haven't ever been asked by my doctor,nor my wife's,or son's.Maybe it is only certain practices or insurance programs.I go to IMA and have Anthem insurance,we have WIC and they've never asked either.

It's a new requirement that rolled out with Obamacare. My wife is a Nurse and has been filling me in on all the crap going on with it. So many things are happening under the surface that your average citizen has no idea about. I was hospitalized for 5 days just after Obamacare rolled out. Nurses now do EVERYTHING. The people who used to handle the easy stuff like bringing you icepacks, or pillows, draw your blood etc are gone. Now those jobs fall to the nurses, as if they didn't have enough to do already.

As for the Questions, many Drs are refusing to ask their patients. They even have to ask you about your sex life. Why does a Dr need to know about a 70 y/o's safe sex practices to ensure no surprise preg when they came in for a cough?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's a new requirement that rolled out with Obamacare. My wife is a Nurse and has been filling me in on all the crap going on with it. So many things are happening under the surface that your average citizen has no idea about. I was hospitalized for 5 days just after Obamacare rolled out. Nurses now do EVERYTHING. The people who used to handle the easy stuff like bringing you icepacks, or pillows, draw your blood etc are gone. Now those jobs fall to the nurses, as if they didn't have enough to do already.

As for the Questions, many Drs are refusing to ask their patients. They even have to ask you about your sex life. Why does a Dr need to know about a 70 y/o's safe sex practices to ensure no surprise preg when they came in for a cough?

Read 1984....answers are in the book.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    evolevo
    Top Bottom