• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    So, the other day in Salem, Indiana, all phone service went down along with all internet. No cell phones and no phone service. No big deal, right?

Well, the banks immediately locked their doors since they had no security. Their panic buttons did not work, etc.

The groceries could no longer sell food by credit or debit, only cash.

The gas stations could no longer sell gas by credit or debit, only cash.

No one could get cash because all of the banks were closed.

This only lasted for about 4 hours, but it was only one cut fiber optic cable. No solar flare, no loss of power, just one cable.

No one panicked, but people started to worry.

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    I would probably cry like a girl for 15 minutes and drive to the next town and draw some cash out of the bank.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Last night for an entire 7 hours I had the same situation . . . as I was asleep.:laugh:

Why would people worry? They are already ready. Just look at the food supply your fellow citizens carry around their waists, they certainly won't starve.

People have cars, they can drive to another county.

Instead of SHTF, isn't it Mildly Inconvenience Hits the Fan?:laugh:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    We have one of the phone prefixes that were said to be affected (land line). I don't know about the rest of the family, but I didn't miss the phone ringing--at all.:)

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    Last night for an entire 7 hours I had the same situation . . . as I was asleep.:laugh:

Why would people worry? They are already ready. Just look at the food supply your fellow citizens carry around their waists, they certainly won't starve.

People have cars, they can drive to another county.

Instead of SHTF, isn't it Mildly Inconvenience Hits the Fan?:laugh:

of the whole MIHTF , ill sure be preparing for the next one

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    of the whole MIHTF , ill sure be preparing for the next one

We need some tales of the mildly inconvenienced. Share your survival story with INGO.

No stuff, there I was, mildly inconvenienced. Everyone was overweight, or obese, but we thought we would be starving if we weren't stuff pie in our faces.

People were running hysterically . . . but they had to take rest every 20 paces as they were so fat. It was horrible, I had to go to work, instead of the grocery store!! ZOMG, it was just like Omega Man but Heston had a S&W76 instead a crappy polymer Ruger.:laugh:

fasteddie48

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    pekin indiana
    it hard to think washington county came to a stop due to one line seems like bad planning from our county why is washington county only on one line????? so whats the back up for 911 and emergency services... hospitial or even our store..... again no planning was done...

thoroughbred

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    My houseboat on Lake Michigan
    Serious question here... Why would a fiber optic cable being cut effect cell phone service I thought they get their communication through radio and satellite signals? I need to do some research I guess, unless someone answers my question quicker than I can use my Google skills.
    Well that didn't take much, just learned more about cell communication than I ever cared for...

Last edited:

elliotle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    The electricity went out for a couple hours a few weeks ago. I ate all three of the neighbor children to survive.

YOU WEREN'T THERE, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND!

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    What you guys don't get is that no one knew whether this phenomena was entirely localized or nationwide. How do you know when the SHTF?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    So, the other day in Salem, Indiana, all phone service went down along with all internet. No cell phones and no phone service. No big deal, right?

Well, the banks immediately locked their doors since they had no security. Their panic buttons did not work, etc.

The groceries could no longer sell food by credit or debit, only cash.

The gas stations could no longer sell gas by credit or debit, only cash.

No one could get cash because all of the banks were closed.

This only lasted for about 4 hours, but it was only one cut fiber optic cable. No solar flare, no loss of power, just one cable.

No one panicked, but people started to worry.

Sounds more like time for a nap than SHTF.

Chesh97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2011
    NE Indiana
    I'm reaaaly bad about this myself. I hardly ever have any cash on hand. I just use plastic due to everybody going to direct deposit. I should start keeping some cash put aside in paper form.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Good question

.......................................... How do you know when the SHTF?

What nobody has considered, apparently, is that "the fan" is electric. Most of us will not know until it's too late! Of course we won't know it's too late until it's too late, too. We won't have the tinfoil helmet brigade telling us "the sky is falling" because there will be no internet service and, contrary to popular practice, talking louder will not make your cellphone work. You will not even be able to call Jimmy John's to have your stash of food delivered. The lights will be out and many people will not be able to get up the stairs from their mom's basement. Some preppers will be sitting in their bugout vehicle stuck in their garages because the garage door opener won't work!

And remember this: When the water pressure goes, you've only got one flush left! Make it count!

Top Bottom