So.. what are you reloading at the moment??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    JUST got my press up and running after close to two years hanging out in the basement (LNL AP) and am totally bit by the bug... I havent even shot anything I've reloaded yet, which probably isnt the best way to go about things. So far I've just loaded some 45 (unique 5.9gr, hornady round nose 230gn, random cases), nothing crazy yet. I just bought more stuff though to get started with 308 (and a bunch of random other crap i realized would be handy). Never reloaded a thing ever prior to this so the learning curve is a definite factor, but totally loving it so far. I don't have any pictures of anything amusing or I'd post.
    I'm oddly really enjoying my case prep. I'm doing the wet tumbling with the SS pins/lemishine/dish soap in a cheapo harbor freight rock tumbler and i'm pretty happy with the results.

PS- Only thing I have to say is damn the person who decided to make .45 with small primers..... what a PITA!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    JUST got my press up and running after close to two years hanging out in the basement (LNL AP) and am totally bit by the bug... I havent even shot anything I've reloaded yet, which probably isnt the best way to go about things. So far I've just loaded some 45 (unique 5.9gr, hornady round nose 230gn, random cases), nothing crazy yet. I just bought more stuff though to get started with 308 (and a bunch of random other crap i realized would be handy). Never reloaded a thing ever prior to this so the learning curve is a definite factor, but totally loving it so far. I don't have any pictures of anything amusing or I'd post.
    I'm oddly really enjoying my case prep. I'm doing the wet tumbling with the SS pins/lemishine/dish soap in a cheapo harbor freight rock tumbler and i'm pretty happy with the results.

PS- Only thing I have to say is damn the person who decided to make .45 with small primers..... what a PITA!

I enjoy it too. My son does too. He does most of the depriming and sizing. I usually trim & debur. He likes to prime and seat bullets, I drop powder 90% of the time and I usually crimp if things need it. It's great father son time. He really gets a kick out of shooting his own ammo too.

Some 300wm is probably on the need next to reload list. I haven't shot factory ammo in a while. I load the bench rest stuff by myself usually in the evening when the house is quiet. I turn the news on and plug away at the bench. Usually 20 rounds at a time for match grade stuff. I weigh everything at each step. It's cool to see the extra effort in the target results! Reloading is something I have really gotten in to since this last spring.

I have been doing it at my buddy's and my friends places for the last 5-6 years. Then just decide to do it myself at home. No regrets. If I need 50 rounds of something then I just load before I need it. I have a hell of a brass supply for .223, 30-06, 9mm, 38sp, 357mag and 45acp's from over the years. I am working on my 308 (1919) and the 300wm (R700). I just got a Mauser so I need 8mm brass dies etc. for that. I need to buy a press for the 50bmg in the future too.

Paul, how are you and your projects doing? I haven't gotten much farther along since you were here last. Sad to say :-(

Take care!

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Things are slow to say the least. The 2mo old son, while he's a joy, he REALLY puts a damper on projects. SBR UZI is 100% done, have yet to fire it yet though. It was a leap of faith to finish it before testing it. Hopefully it runs well! Stens haven't progressed yet, but I'm hoping this winter. Finished a form 1 can not long ago. Reloading is proving nice because I can work slow, and work late at night when wife/baby are sleeping.
    Before I do much more reloading I need to do a bit of testing.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Well, my brother placed the order from Dillon, I don't know if he screwed up or they did. My 45 Colt shell plate is a 44 shell plate. Not loading any 45 colt anytime soon

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Well, my brother placed the order from Dillon, I don't know if he screwed up or they did. My 45 Colt shell plate is a 44 shell plate. Not loading any 45 colt anytime soon

That blows, but you can rest assured that Dillon will resolve it one way or the other.
    You'll love loading .45 Colt.
    The only issue with it is that it has a very small rim, so if you're using steel dies instead of carbide, it's essential to use enough lube to prevent the rim from getting torn off.
    If you're using carbide, it's less of an issue, but you're still better off tumbling your brass before resizing to ensure that it's slick.
    I've never torn off a rim on the thousands of .45 Colt I've loaded, but I use carbide and I always tumble before resizing.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Same here oldpink, I've loaded lots of 45colt, but it was always on the rock chucker. I'm trying to get everything I load in quantity moved over to the Dillon.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I just finish loading the last of my Hornady 225gn FTX's. I bought a second box of FTX's a few weeks but closer inspection shows them to be 265gn for 444 Marlin. The cannelure is in the same spot as a regular bullet. They are not like the 225 in shape. The standard brass should work just fine.

I am going to ponder using them. I have load data for 265 grain 44 mag bullets. I did make a few dummy rounds and it cycles threw the rifle just fine. I even checked the distance between the bullets Ogive and the lands in the barrel. It matches the distance within a few thousands of a standard 240gn 44mag bullet. Anyone have a comment about using them? Looking for input!

Larry

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I just finish loading the last of my Hornady 225gn FTX's. I bought a second box of FTX's a few weeks but closer inspection shows them to be 265gn for 444 Marlin. The cannelure is in the same spot as a regular bullet. They are not like the 225 in shape. The standard brass should work just fine.

I am going to ponder using them. I have load data for 265 grain 44 mag bullets. I did make a few dummy rounds and it cycles threw the rifle just fine. I even checked the distance between the bullets Ogive and the lands in the barrel. It matches the distance within a few thousands of a standard 240gn 44mag bullet. Anyone have a comment about using them? Looking for input!

Larry

The only misgiving I'd have about those would be about whether they would open up at .44 Magnum velocities since they were obviously intended for the big Marlin round fired out of a rifle.
    It wouldn't matter if you don't intend to hunt with them, though.
    btw...I'm a big fan of the .452 diameter version of the 225 grain FTX...used it to take three deer so far.
    I still have a full box of them in my reloading cabinet. ;)

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The only misgiving I'd have about those would be about whether they would open up at .44 Magnum velocities since they were obviously intended for the big Marlin round fired out of a rifle.
    It wouldn't matter if you don't intend to hunt with them, though.
    btw...I'm a big fan of the .452 diameter version of the 225 grain FTX...used it to take three deer so far.
    I still have a full box of them in my reloading cabinet. ;)

Good point. The high end of the 44mag is pretty damned close to the low end of the 444! I didn't notice that until you said something. I just checked it out. I would not be hunting with the, Just punching paper and tinkering with loads. I figured they would be ok because I see loads up to 300 grains in the Hornady book. They just didn't show a load for this one in 44 mag. I'll have to ponder it a bit. I would be using them just to use them up and tinkering.

I am also a big fan of the 225ftx. I have been playing with different loads and powders for the last month or so and am pretty impressed too. It was going to be the round I was going to use for my first deer hunt. I was pumped up about it and then my health has pushed it back a year :-( If all goes well health wise it will be the round for next year! That is a fact!

I was thinking a lever gun would be a great first deer rifle choice.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I just prepped 50 cased to be loaded with 225 gr FTX for my HandiRifle. After testing loads I finally found what the gun likes. This will give my wife plenty of shots. This is her favorite gun. She shot two does opening day and really did some damage. Using 20.5 gr of LilGun, I am less than 100 fps under what the factory shoots out of my gun.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Good point. The high end of the 44mag is pretty damned close to the low end of the 444! I didn't notice that until you said something. I just checked it out. I would not be hunting with the, Just punching paper and tinkering with loads. I figured they would be ok because I see loads up to 300 grains in the Hornady book. They just didn't show a load for this one in 44 mag. I'll have to ponder it a bit. I would be using them just to use them up and tinkering.

I am also a big fan of the 225ftx. I have been playing with different loads and powders for the last month or so and am pretty impressed too. It was going to be the round I was going to use for my first deer hunt. I was pumped up about it and then my health has pushed it back a year :-( If all goes well health wise it will be the round for next year! That is a fact!

I was thinking a lever gun would be a great first deer rifle choice.

You should have no real problem using the 265 grain with .44 Magnum.
    Just go with the starting loads data for your other 265 grain bullets, then work your up while watching for pressure signs.
    You'd do quite nicely with the 225 grain FTX for deer once you are better (sorry to hear that your health is only now improving), and it will extend your effetive range at least 25%.
    All three deer I shot with my .45 Colt using the 225 grain FTX went no farther than 100 yards.
    The first dropped literally in her tracks when the bullet struck her neck vertebrae after exiting the heart/lungs on a frontal shot.
    The second, a buck, ran 100 yards even though his lungs were pulverized, but he left the proverbial "walking through the woods sloshing a bucket of blood" trail, so he was easy to track.
    The third ran 25 yards, then collapsed, still within sight, this time with both her lungs and aorta blown to tatters, a testament to just how tough it can be to bring down a deer instantly.
    It wasn't really an issue with all three deer since they're thin-skinned beasts, but all three bullets had core separations, with the cores exiting from all three.
    It's for that reason that I would be hesitant to use these for bigger and tougher critters, namely black bear or anything from elk on up in size, better hunted using a controlled expansion bonded bullet.
    It would be interesting to see how they would do if Hornady offered a bonded version of the FTX that would have controlled expansion for bigger game, but it would probably cost a bit more than they already do.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    You should have no real problem using the 265 grain with .44 Magnum.
    Just go with the starting loads data for your other 265 grain bullets, then work your up while watching for pressure signs.
    You'd do quite nicely with the 225 grain FTX for deer once you are better (sorry to hear that your health is only now improving), and it will extend your effetive range at least 25%.
    All three deer I shot with my .45 Colt using the 225 grain FTX went no farther than 100 yards.
    The first dropped literally in her tracks when the bullet struck her neck vertebrae after exiting the heart/lungs on a frontal shot.
    The second, a buck, ran 100 yards even though his lungs were pulverized, but he left the proverbial "walking through the woods sloshing a bucket of blood" trail, so he was easy to track.
    The third ran 25 yards, then collapsed, still within sight, this time with both her lungs and aorta blown to tatters, a testament to just how tough it can be to bring down a deer instantly.
    It wasn't really an issue with all three deer since they're thin-skinned beasts, but all three bullets had core separations, with the cores exiting from all three.
    It's for that reason that I would be hesitant to use these for bigger and tougher critters, namely black bear or anything from elk on up in size, better hunted using a controlled expansion bonded bullet.
    It would be interesting to see how they would do if Hornady offered a bonded version of the FTX that would have controlled expansion for bigger game, but it would probably cost a bit more than they already do.

I was thinking it was going to be ok, I feel much better about trying it now. I'll load 10 up and see what they do. Thanks for the feed back. It's much appreciated!

Glad to hear the FTX's are so effective. They sure ran well threw the Henry. I had tried the Leverevolution in my 45-70 and loved the results. So I picked up a box for the 44mag and did well with them too. That lead me to reloading with them. You probably caught the post on modifying the Lee quick trim die so I could modify some of the 44mag brass I already had. I now have a hundred pieces of brass to use. I have to mod the 45-70 die next. I think the Leverevolution is going to be my go to round in both lever guns.

Thanks again for the feed back!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Things are slow to say the least. The 2mo old son, while he's a joy, he REALLY puts a damper on projects. SBR UZI is 100% done, have yet to fire it yet though. It was a leap of faith to finish it before testing it. Hopefully it runs well! Stens haven't progressed yet, but I'm hoping this winter. Finished a form 1 can not long ago. Reloading is proving nice because I can work slow, and work late at night when wife/baby are sleeping.
    Before I do much more reloading I need to do a bit of testing.

I remember those days well. My son was a hoot when he was little. I wouldn't give those memories up for anything though. He will grow so fast, next thing you know he is 15 going on 16. Enjoy it! My kids are my life.

I need to finish my Uzi and a few other projects too. If you can't get the Sten dialed in let me know. If you have an afternoon you can sneak away, drive up. I am pretty sure the disconnector lever is to short and the bolt isn't resetting. It seems to be some what common issue on the III for some reason. Most guys just tack a little blob on the end that the bolt rides over and profile it. Call me if you want sometime and I can talk you threw a simple test that can verify it as an issue. some where on the forum is a couple post that I have made about the issue.

300wm is the next load on the list. Still working on a good load for the 190gn Sierra Match kings for the 700.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I was thinking it was going to be ok, I feel much better about trying it now. I'll load 10 up and see what they do. Thanks for the feed back. It's much appreciated!

Glad to hear the FTX's are so effective. They sure ran well threw the Henry. I had tried the Leverevolution in my 45-70 and loved the results. So I picked up a box for the 44mag and did well with them too. That lead me to reloading with them. You probably caught the post on modifying the Lee quick trim die so I could modify some of the 44mag brass I already had. I now have a hundred pieces of brass to use. I have to mod the 45-70 die next. I think the Leverevolution is going to be my go to round in both lever guns.

Thanks again for the feed back!

No problem.
    One thing I forgot to mention was that I had RCBS machine me a customized seating plug for my seater die for the FTX.
    I don't know what brand of dies you're using, but if you're using anything other than Hornady, you'll need a seater plug that can handle the point of the FTX without squishing it or canting the bullet as it seats.
    It's possible that Hornady's dies come with the appropriate seater plug, but if they don't, I know for that they sell plugs for their own FTX bullets separately, and here's the one you'll need if you have Hornady dies without the plug for the FTX - Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension Die Seater Stem 44 Cal (225 FTX 265
    If you're using RCBS dies, just call their customer support (1-800-379-1732) and tell them what you want, and they'll tell you to send a single sample bullet and a check or money order for about $15 (I forget the exact price now), and they'll machine and send you a custom seating plug for your bullet.
    They did that for me and they even sent the bullet back, albeit with the tip blacked up a bit from a marker they obviously had used as part of their process.
    If you're using either Lee, Lyman, or Redding, odds are that they'll do the same for you to, with only the price as a variable.

Top Bottom