• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Curls & Swirls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgan County
    First off, please be kind. This is my first thread. I first signed up on INGO to look and talk with those in the preppers and womens sections, but I can't seem to keep myself from visiting this 2nd Amendment Forum. It just sucks me in and makes me mad most of the time. (Husband may soon ban me from this forum, so please post quickly!! lol)

So my question is: What do we do about it? In a non violent way?

I know there is the letter writing to our congressmen and all but beyond that what do you all suggest?

I feel like we need a total cleaning of the White House but with a media that is totally one sided and not afraid to bend the facts or just leave them out if it doesn't fit with their views or their bosses views. How do we reach the people. I am sorry but it is not the FOX viewers I want to reach. Then there is the question: If they already drank the koolaid, is there still hope? How do you stop the buying of votes with free phones, free internet, etc.?

I could go on and on about things that need to be changed but how do we get the people in office that can make the changes?

What SHOULD we be doing right now?

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    C&S,
    First, welcome and thanks for jumping in, we need more ACTIVE women on this forum. You may have done all the things below already, but I wanted to at least start with the basics.

1) Join the NRA
    2)Contact your representatives with calls, letters and emails letting them know they will lose your vote if they vote anti-2A. They may not care about you, but they care about your vote.
    3) Educate yourself on rational arguments for gun ownership and speak up when and where appropriate.
    4) Make sure you have the weapons, mags and parts you feel you need, supporting your local shops while doing so.
    5) Continue to stack ammo when it's available and the price gets back to normal.

Don't get mad about what the politicians say. THey don't believe the words coming out of their own mouths, why should you?

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Welcome to INGO Curles & Swirles.

Suggestion:

6) Get your LTCH and carry every day. Make guns and self defence carry a part of your NORMAL life. Carry however you like, open or concealed in your purse, but definately carry so you will not likely ever be a victim of violent crime.

I can remember way back when, tattoos were looked down upon. They were only acceptable if a man was enlisted in military service. A lot has changed since then and tattoos seem to be normalised now. My list of friends would be way too short if I did not accept friends with tattoos, even though I do not have one myself. Same thing with body piecing, especially on men, or riding Harley Davidson motorcycles.

The neat thing about the Internet and boards like INGO is that we are not alone on this. I am the only one in my family that carries on a regular basis, but I know I am in good company. If we all carry and try to be model citizens, and react in a friendly way when we see others carrying, firearms will be more and more accepted over time.

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    "Decisions are made by those who show up"

Vote and encourage others to vote, show up at rallies, town halls, run for an elected office, write letters to the editor of your newspaper.

Curls & Swirls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgan County
    C&S,

1) Join the NRA (husband and most all the men in my family are members, guess I'll have to put that on my list for myself too)
    2)Contact your representatives with calls, letters and emails letting them know they will lose your vote if they vote anti-2A. They may not care about you, but they care about your vote. (I have done this)
    3) Educate yourself on rational arguments for gun ownership and speak up when and where appropriate. (I try to this every time I can)
    4) Make sure you have the weapons, mags and parts you feel you need, supporting your local shops while doing so. (We have done plenty of this :D)
    5) Continue to stack ammo when it's available and the price gets back to normal. (yes sir, constantly working on this)

Don't get mad about what the politicians say. THey don't believe the words coming out of their own mouths, why should you?
    (I don't believe the things they say but there are way to many people who do, and those people get to vote also!!!)

Also join the GOA and JPFO.
    (I am going to look into these, thanks for the info)

Suggestion:

6) Get your LTCH and carry every day. Make guns and self defence carry a part of your NORMAL life. Carry however you like, open or concealed in your purse, but definately carry so you will not likely ever be a victim of violent crime. (I have my LTCH and I try to carry when I leave the house. I am really ready for some warmer weather so we can go back out to the range and practice)

"Decisions are made by those who show up"

Vote and encourage others to vote, show up at rallies, town halls, run for an elected office, write letters to the editor of your newspaper. (I have voted since I was old enough to do so. I am just glad I have always lived in a state where I always felt like my vote counted. People tell my husband all the time he should run for Mayor. I tell him "NO WAY", I do NOT want to be the mayor's wife! lol We attended our first rally on the 8th and I think I saw Que!)

Thanks so much for your comments!!

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    Its almost like religion. Its obvious that writing letters and calling no longer does anything, our politicians do not care, they campaign on lies then do what they want then blame everyone else for their problems, simple, so my answer is to stock up on everything you need, and talk to PEOPLE. like religion you cant force someone to believe what you do, but you can talk to them about it, it will take a life experience to change someone, but if they've never heard the other side of the argument, then they most likely will never change on their own. Talk to people, politely, tell them racking up debt means THEY have to pay it back at some point, ask them questions that they cant answer, such as how is killing babies ok while letting murderers out of prison after 25 years ok? Inform as many people as you can. oh and stock up. the way things are going it sure doesnt seem like we are gonna turn this around.

Curls & Swirls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgan County
    Pray.

Ask for wisdom for our leaders.

(We do this!!! I also know what the Bible says. It is just so hard to see this country stray so far from what it once was. Just as it is very sad to see the Bible refered to as just an old book.)

Its almost like religion. Its obvious that writing letters and calling no longer does anything, our politicians do not care, they campaign on lies then do what they want then blame everyone else for their problems, simple, so my answer is to stock up on everything you need, and talk to PEOPLE. like religion you cant force someone to believe what you do, but you can talk to them about it, it will take a life experience to change someone, but if they've never heard the other side of the argument, then they most likely will never change on their own. Talk to people, politely, tell them racking up debt means THEY have to pay it back at some point, ask them questions that they cant answer, such as how is killing babies ok while letting murderers out of prison after 25 years ok? Inform as many people as you can. oh and stock up. the way things are going it sure doesnt seem like we are gonna turn this around.
    (Good points, I think with the loss of religion came the lose of morals too, for a lot of people. What is going to make them want to tell the truth if they can lie because they feel there will be no judgement/price to pay for their actions. I kinda feel like this is why it is hard for an honest man to win an election now days. If you are not willing to lie, and the other side is, what do you have? I guess we have a government that can't be trusted. :( ) [/quote]

Last edited:

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    I can't seem to keep myself from visiting this 2nd Amendment Forum. It just sucks me in and makes me mad most of the time.

Indeed it does. We are glad to have you. Most of us here all share the same passions and frustrations.

Make a plan for when things go bad.

Have an exit strategy. (preferably one not involving interstates)

Have essentials on hand.

Arm yourself with commonly available caliber weapons and keep ammo. (but also don't forget that bows/arrows and fishing poles don't run out of bullets)

Prep-to-live, don't live to prep. Otherwise you're just another nut job waiting for the end of the world.

Last edited:

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Tone down any social conservative rhetoric, even if that is what you believe, and certainly don't suggest that votes have ever been bought with government assistance. People relate the gun community to stereotypical GOP types which they can't take seriously. Why would they? If you were gay would you really want to listen to anything said by someone who would be quick to say you shouldn't be allowed to marry? If you had ever had an abortion, or were passionate about a woman's right to chose would you listen to someone who accused you of being a baby killer? If you voted for the country's first black President, would you listen to someone who made racial jokes about him or made comments about him being worthless or doing nothing?

We have a major perception problem. Most Conservatives already agree with us fully, and those that don't are easily swayed when you remind them that we are trying to keep the government out of our business. We need to focus on swaying those who may not agree with us on other issues, or any issues for that matter. We need dialog. We need people to relate to us. Take someone shooting, talk to someone about why you feel the need to carry or own a firearm. Most importantly, keep your other political views out of it, and avoid clichés.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    Most importantly, keep your other political views out of it, and avoid clichés.

I think Joshua has hit the nail squarely on the head. At yesterday's Day of Resistance rally, we had about 200 people show up. I'm sorry to report that it appeared to be about 20 groups of ten. Signs showing images of dead fetuses and demanding Obama's birth certificate ARE NOT furthering our 2nd Amendment cause. It's my deepest hope the battle for preservation of the 2nd will be won with discussion. We cannot shout loud enough or wave our arms convincingly enough to make them listen. It's only when we remain on-message, take the high ground, and define our cause with hard statistics and well-thought arguments that we have a true chance to influence those who are undecided.

Curls & Swirls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgan County
    Most Conservatives already agree with us fully, and those that don't are easily swayed when you remind them that we are trying to keep the government out of our business. We need to focus on swaying those who may not agree with us on other issues, or any issues for that matter. We need dialog. We need people to relate to us. Take someone shooting, talk to someone about why you feel the need to carry or own a firearm. Most importantly, keep your other political views out of it, and avoid clichés.

I understand what you are saying. For me though, I just don't think this (talking to friends) is going to make a difference in my personal life. Most of the people I know and I am around have the same feelings for guns that I do. Except for maybe one family member who actually has guns but has bought into the hype and is not interested in the facts.

Where I feel the most influence would be is in the media to change the perception of guns and I just feel that what I see on most stations is not fair and honest facts about gun statistics.

This quote explains my problem with giving people things (such as phones) that are paid for by the government: "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." Benjamin Franklin I do not see this as a separate political view because it is going to take our lawmakers to protect our gun rights and if those that don't agree with having guns can get votes in this way it is an issue.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Along with everything every one has added, Joshua eluded to this, but remember when talking to others on the subject, to be kind and respectful, even when you don't agree with them, listen to them, try to understand where they are coming from. WE are the face of the gun community, everyone of US. We need to show that we are willing to listen, so long as others are. And if they are not at least willing to listen after you have shown that respect, then the conversation needs to end.

Treat your fellow humans with dignity and respect, and if they choose not to return the same, remove yourself, don't be engaged by their anger. I got into a really great conversation last night with a friend who is completely against "assault weapons". We had some great back and forth and I found out that she had no idea what the difference between semi & automatic was. But she was willing to listen to the other side and so was I. We figured out that we are not that far off on our thinking and both came away from the conversation better educated. And as a bonus, I think I may have set her on a path that could lead to a change in her thinking.

So it boils down to, treat EVERYONE like you want to be treated and go into every conversation with an open mind. Have some civility out there people.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    Welcome C & S! All of the comments on your topic are excellent and they are great reminders for me as well. I have to admit that I get a little carried away when it concerns Constitutional rights.

You mentioned violence in your topic. I just wanted to add that the liberals believe that gun owners are the violent type, but after you become familiar with the members on here, you will see that violence would only be used as the last resort for most of us. We will work hard to avoid a violent solution. However, we aren't stupid. We are well prepared should we need to defend our rights.

Top Bottom