So, when do you all think Indiana outlaw open carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I don't get the open carry logic personally. To me, if crime got really bad, showing off your $500+ Glock, HK, Sig, etc. (not to mention a gun in general) could mean getting attacked when you least expect it. Given the posts I have read here and on opencarry.org (I think that was the website), it is clear that everyone who is open carrying isn't going to be 100% aware of their surroundings every second (I read one shocking report of a police officer actually going up and grabbing a gun from someone...if a police officer could do it, anyone could do it). Despite my personal feelings about it, I don't really have a strong opinion on if it should be legal or not, I guess I really don't care.

Given the number of threads here about cops and all that, do you folks think it is likely we will see a push to make it concealed carry only?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    The only people who would support that would be those who think free speech should be confined to certain "zones." IOW, no true supporter of 2A rights would support outlawing OC. There may be some who claim to support 2A rights that would outlaw OC, but they are not being truthful. They are merely working their way around our backs so they can insert the knives without being caught.

Could you please provide proof that criminals attack openly armed citizens more often than they do unarmed citizens or citizens carrying concealed?

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I don't really have a strong opinion on if it should be legal or not, I guess I really don't care.

I don't choose to open carry, but I do have a VERY strong opinion about banning it. Anytime anyone bans any form of gun rights, it affects us all.

We have to get away from this "it doesn't affect me personally, I don't care" mentality. This attitude allows the antis to ban one thing at a time and thereby eventually ban everything.

Like all the skeet shooters and bird hunters who supported the '94 AWB saying "I don't own any assault weapons and don't know why anyone would need one." Then, lo and behold, the antis suddenly decide that a gas-operated semiauto shotgun is also an "assault weapon." Gotcha.

I don't have any guns chambered in .270 Win. But I definitely would object if they started trying to ban .270 Win next week. And I sure would hope all the .270 Win shooters would object if they start talking about banning .30-06

If gun owners don't hang together, they will surely hang us separately.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Not so many years ago (certainly in my 40 year lifetime,) in only a handful of States could one legally carry a handgun. Now, in only a handful of States, one cannot.

The States who decided to no longer infringe upon our rights, in one manner or another, enacted differing degrees of "freedom." In Missouri, one had to jump through training hoops/classes, just like Utah Non-res, to get a CONCEALED carry permit. However, one could certainly carry their d*** pistol to the range without a permit. Further, one could even carry a loaded handgun in their car for self-defense, if over the age of 21, without any sort of permit!

I am pleased that the IN LTCH makes no distinction between CC and OC, though I find the ISP statement to be rather Kerry-like. However, I find it despicable that one can only legally carry a handgun home from purchase or to a smith without acquiring a handgun OWNER registration. How did that happen?!?!

I 99% CC, 1% OC. I couldn't care less if anyone OCs - would never vote to infringe upon that. When will the option to OC be removed from us?

1) When we are no longer vigilant.

2) When enough bumbling, a$$hats frighten enough sheeple, who in turn pressure their legislators that they feel it necessary to infringe further. **

** those of us that choose to carry a handgun the majority of the time are still in the minority of the population. For good or bad, the actions of any of us reflect on all of us - immediately when OCing.

Whether it is a Freemason ring on your hand, a Union sticker on your car or a NRA supporter decal - to the majority, you now are the representative of that group. If your rude, obnoxiously drunk - or look like someone the neighbors check out on the sex offender site when you move in - AND you OC, you might be hurting it for the rest of us. In short, if you OC, your behavior and, hopefully, appearance must be beyond reproach, so that you help or at least don't hurt the cause.

Face it - if you step on a plane and the pilot looks like Goober Pyle after a hard night drinking, you might want to get off the plane. Again, for the good or bad, sheeple see someone OCing like they see an airline pilot - "My life is in their hands." Wrong but I believe accurate.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    The only people who would support that would be those who think free speech should be confined to certain "zones." IOW, no true supporter of 2A rights would support outlawing OC. There may be some who claim to support 2A rights that would outlaw OC, but they are not being truthful. They are merely working their way around our backs so they can insert the knives without being caught.

Could you please provide proof that criminals attack openly armed citizens more often than they do unarmed citizens or citizens carrying concealed?

Yeah, like how many criminals have attempted to take away guns of LEO's, as they all open carry :rolleyes:

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    "In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;

And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;

And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;

And then... they came for me... And by that time there was no one left to speak up."

Last edited:

MPD179

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    Yeah, like how many criminals have attempted to take away guns of LEO's, as they all open carry :rolleyes:

This has been happening alot more often lately. I work in a small department with only 54 officers and we have had four (4) cases with our guys fighting for their weapon in the past 6 months. In one of the incidents, the duty holster failed and was completely ripped off of the belt!

These cases usually go through the prosecutors office and they offer a deal for a simple battery charge in place of attempting to disarm a police officer. Thats Lake County government for you as well as an insult to the officer that had to fight for his weapon.

As far as OC goes, I have to when im at work but when im off duty its CC all the way for me ... just for the tactical advantage. I agree that we have the right to OC but I have seen society take away our rights and will continue if we fail to act accordingly while doing so.

Just my :twocents:

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    just carry a fake weapon in a holster with a razor blade embedded in the front of the grip. Let them go for it. :)

That would also teach the grabby range officer in a previous thread a lesson.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I don't know when they'll try , but if we hear about it we ALL need to protest , write letters or something to try and stop it .

IMO we all would have to come together regardless of how one feels about OC / CC .

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    This has been happening alot more often lately. I work in a small department with only 54 officers and we have had four (4) cases with our guys fighting for their weapon in the past 6 months. In one of the incidents, the duty holster failed and was completely ripped off of the belt!

These cases usually go through the prosecutors office and they offer a deal for a simple battery charge in place of attempting to disarm a police officer. Thats Lake County government for you as well as an insult to the officer that had to fight for his weapon.

As far as OC goes, I have to when im at work but when im off duty its CC all the way for me ... just for the tactical advantage. I agree that we have the right to OC but I have seen society take away our rights and will continue if we fail to act accordingly while doing so.

Just my :twocents:

OK, but were these cases of just some random person coming up to them to get their gun, or was this from the actions of someone not wanting to be arrested and went to the extreme of attempting to disarm the officer? As that would show a big difference in percentages.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I agree that we have the right to OC but I have seen society take away our rights and will continue if we fail to act accordingly while doing so.

Whether it is a Freemason ring on your hand, a Union sticker on your car or a NRA supporter decal - to the majority, you now are the representative of that group. If your rude, obnoxiously drunk - or look like someone the neighbors check out on the sex offender site when you move in - AND you OC, you might be hurting it for the rest of us. In short, if you OC, your behavior and, hopefully, appearance must be beyond reproach, so that you help or at least don't hurt the cause.

Face it - if you step on a plane and the pilot looks like Goober Pyle after a hard night drinking, you might want to get off the plane. Again, for the good or bad, sheeple see someone OCing like they see an airline pilot - "My life is in their hands." Wrong but I believe accurate.

These guys pretty much summed it up.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Ahhh jeeezz....
    you carry how you want; I'll carry how I want. Nobody's writing new laws anywhere to outlaw carrying handguns, unless CC is already outlawed and they see OC as a "loophole."

To me, if crime got really bad, walking down the street could mean getting attacked when you least expect it, the BG hoping you had a lot of cash in your wallet or a watch he could sell. Given the posts I have read here and on opencarry.org (I think that was the website), it is clear that everyone who is concealed carrying or not carrying at all isn't going to be 100% aware of their surroundings every second (I read one shocking report of a bad guy actually mugging someone who was carrying concealed. If a thug could do it, anybody could do it.). The Second Amendment says the right of the people to keep [own] and bear [carry] arms shall not be infringed [violated or encroached]. Any law telling us how or when to carry or not to carry is an encroachment and is a violation of the constitution. My feelings about how or if one carries don't matter a bit.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I have always carried "kinda" concealed.

That basically means I wear a full sized duty pistol OWB & just leave my shirt untucked, I've found that most folks don't notice, the ones who do notice that my weapon is "printing" rarely ever say anything to me about it.

Bingo. I open carry, well, OWB carry my pistol 90% of the time now. For the last 2 months it's been 100% of the time minues when I went to KY on my honeymoon. Even then I still carried OC except in the restricted National Parks (KY Dam, Mammouth Cave, etc.). Now, here's the thing though. I almost always have my shirt untucked and pretty much no one I notice see's it unless I point it out. My daughter's friend's mom came over so we could meet before I let my daughter spend the night and her eyes got real big until I told her how I was currently fighting for our rights through the Indy Defenders of Liberty and how just because Plainfield is a nice Suburb doesn't mean bad things can't happen here too. She kinda calmed down then, but I don't expect her daughter to ever spend the night here... :rolleyes:

You know, if no one in Indiana ever OC's they WILL go after that right. With a stroke of the pen it will be gone because most people have the "It doesn't effect me" mentality.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    You know, if no one in Indiana ever OC's they WILL go after that right. With a stroke of the pen it will be gone because most people have the "It doesn't effect me" mentality.
    Not only that, but if the sheeple never see respectable people like you and me, and the others around here who responsibly open carry, they'll only see gangstas, thugs, and criminals on TV carrying guns. That will certainly not help our image any. One reason I OC is to counteract the gangsta/thug/criminal image.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Not only that, but if the sheeple never see respectable people like you and me, and the others around here who responsibly open carry, they'll only see gangstas, thugs, and criminals on TV carrying guns. That will certainly not help our image any. One reason I OC is to counteract the gangsta/thug/criminal image.

Plus you can always stop and educate those that give you funny looks like you just might be a thug. If you act all nice, hold open doors, smile, people start looking at you with a smile. That's the best feeling in the world.

:patriot:

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Plus you can always stop and educate those that give you funny looks like you just might be a thug. If you act all nice, hold open doors, smile, people start looking at you with a smile. That's the best feeling in the world.

:patriot:

Smile?
    I'm grinning like a fool when I OC. :D I go out of my way to be nice to people, say hello, and smile.

Top Bottom