• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    So I bought a .308 cuz ammo will always be available since its a current military caliber. Haven't been able to find any in weeks. Plenty of .270, 30-30, and .30-06 though. while the ammo companies may be making ammo in military calibers what makes everyone think any of that will be available to the general civilian market? Thinking of selling my .308 now. I should have got a 30-06.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    The days of surplus are coming to an end. We have been riding the left overs of a world war and a decades long cold war buildup for years now. .308 is a current use caliber, but it is becoming policy around the world to destroy instead of sell surplus.

Good news is that commercial production of .308 is around plenty. We are in a panic, so it is all sold out. Wait a few months and it will come back. I think silver bear or maybe brown bear has a really cheap steel cased .308. Wait a while it will be back on shelves.

Sdixon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Wayne county
    I seen someone (midway? Natchezss?) had a 200rnd belt of 7.62 in stock yesterday.
    Prior to the Sandy Hook madness 5.56 and 7.62 was easy to come by.
    Once things settle down again you will have no problem buying it.
    Right now anytime a store has 9mm, 5.56, 7.62 ,.45 etc come in stock they are bought out within minutes.
    The people buying all the ammo are either reselling it at jacked up prices or stockpiling it for their own use.
    At my local Dunhams , people know exactly when the trucks come in and are lined up waiting to buy whatever the store is sent.
    Long story short, if you dont have any now you are probally SOL, however if you can wait a month or two or maybe get on a backorder list you should have no trouble getting ammo.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I think we all need to take a breath. True, military surplus will never be what it once was.

However, if times become more difficult, I believe that the military issued cartridges will be those the ammo manufacturers ensure they keep producing. There is a shortage now, but only because the gun community freaked out like little kids in a haunted house.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have two .308's - an M1A and a just-purchased LMT. The current wave of panic buying has depleted stocks of everything, not just ammo, but all kinds of firearms and magazines too. I don't think .308 is going away any time soon. Be patient, stores will eventually stock up again.

awilson82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    .308 surplus has been hard to find the last couple years let alone now. Id kill for the days of buying SA battlepacks for $25.

Walken

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Clark County
    I can remember seeing all kinds surplus deals in Shotgun News back in the day. I really should have gone nuts and bought a ton. Would have been a great investment.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Its a tough time now, but I think you will see surplus 762 x 51 again reasonably. I bought some off the CMP forum from a member a few months ago. Also received 800 rounds of M2 30-06 ammo today shipped from the CMP. They have 308, but not surplus. Would like to see it offered sometime

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If our government doesn't get their act together and control spending, you'll see a lot of surplus ammo on the market.

If you want to sell a perfectly good rifle because you aren't patient enough to wait out a temporary supply problem, that's your decision to make. Learn to reload and it won't really matter if you have an '06, 308 or 30/40 Krag...you just make 'em when you want 'em. ;)

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    There's still plenty of surplus ammo around, BUT it's in the hands of people and you have to get them to come off it! Sometimes it's tough and it takes time but it can still happen.

Top Bottom