• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I want to buy a .45 for my next gun. I plan on carrying it and using it for comp. I've narrowed the search down to a HK USP .45 FS v1, or a FN FNP .45. I've shot both, and both very well. I find I like the DA/SA trigger more than a DAO. Anyhow, I think the FNP is huge in comparison to the HK. I was curious if others carry the FNP?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I want to buy a .45 for my next gun. I plan on carrying it and using it for comp. I've narrowed the search down to a HK USP .45 FS v1, or a FN FNP .45. I've shot both, and both very well. I find I like the DA/SA trigger more than a DAO. Anyhow, I think the FNP is huge in comparison to the HK. I was curious if others carry the FNP?

Why those two? For carry the FNP is going to get real old FAST! The HK isnt gonna be much better. Trust me i used to own an XD 45 and carring the equivalent of a box of ammo on your hip may sound like a good idea but it gets way heavy way quick. Either of those two would be great for comp but not for carry imho.

Unless your 7ft tall and 300lbs then nevermind what I say, but if your built like me 5'11" 200lbs you may want to consider a single stack .45 for carry like a 1911 officer model, or a Sig p220 carry model. Just sayin... take my personal experiance however you will.

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I carry full size now, zero problems. I shoot .45 better than 9mm. The HK is same width and .3" longer than my current carry. Sorry for the curt writing, on my phone. :D the fnp is definately a brick like gun, but ts cheaper and has 15 round mags. :)

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Far be it from me to tell you what to carry and what not to carry all I can offer is my own experiance with carring an XD 45 for a little while.

The FN is an awesome gun and you will not regret your purchase should you pick that one. Personally I would get the tactical model with the top rail and threaded barrel, and ues it for comp but not carry. YMMV

My personal opinion on HK is the same one I have about BMW but since I dont want to step on any toes Ill keep it to myself.

I have an FNX-9 and love it but its even a little on the big side for my personal preference for EDC. Get what you want and do with it what you will, Dont let anyone tell you any different and you will always be happy. Thats my philosophy anyway.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I carry a FNP45 when I go to work (I OC at work). I can CC easier than most since I can simply push the holster to an 8 o'clock position between my back and wheelchair back. It is heavy to carry all day. I also carry a springfield 1911 4" which is a little lighter but much more compact. You can make it work with right holster and carry position.

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I'm not buying an HK for the name, but the options. Safety, decocker, dasa, extended slide release stock, trigger frame mounted mag release are all things I like in guns. :) but it's also 200+ more than the FN.

arsenal69

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    My Friend carrys the FNP45 and loves it.... Hell, even with him haveing a fully loaded mag its still lighter than my SIG P220. and almost twice the rounds...

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    ^
    Really? That's good to know. I had also considered the P220. Would you same the heavier frame helps with the recoil though?

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not buying an HK for the name, but the options. Safety, decocker, dasa, extended slide release stock, trigger frame mounted mag release are all things I like in guns. :) but it's also 200+ more than the FN.

I have both the FNP45 and the FNP45 Tactical. I carry the FNP45 IWB occasionally. It is easier to conceal in cold weather. I also have the HK 45C, which has been my main EDC weapon for the reasons you listed above. Just my opinion, but I like the manual safety which the FNP45 doesn't have.

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    If this is mainly for carry then I would get the HK45c.... amazing "compact" gun with match barrel with O-ring.... Match trigger setup (minus the over travel screw in the actual trigger). I carry the 45c and im 5'10 and 180.... But yeah my HK45c and USP tactical felt identical in their DA and SA trigger pulls!!!!

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    ^
    Really? That's good to know. I had also considered the P220. Would you same the heavier frame helps with the recoil though?

Not really. The Sig has a highere bore axis and that pretty much negates any recoil damping the heavier frame gives you.

The FNP 45 was designed so that the bore axis would be close to your hand and therefore produce less torque when fired.

As far as the FNP being Lighter than the Sig P220 With full mags I say I wont belive it until i see them side by side on scales. My P220 feels about the same as a full sized 1911 when i carry it. The FNP carries damn near a full box of .45 in the mag plus the weight of the gun on top of it. Idk mabe the polymer frame is light enough to negate that weight but id almost be willing to waiger that thier loaded weight is pretty close to even.
    Also take into the account of the weight of 2 spare mags and the FNP is a chunky boy indeed. Not to mention the money you shelled out for those three boxes of .45 Winchester PDX1s,or whatever your favorite flavor of SD round is, hanging on your belt and imho the Sig comes out on top. YMMV

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    Not really. The Sig has a highere bore axis and that pretty much negates any recoil damping the heavier frame gives you.

The FNP 45 was designed so that the bore axis would be close to your hand and therefore produce less torque when fired.

As far as the FNP being Lighter than the Sig P220 With full mags I say I wont belive it until i see them side by side on scales. My P220 feels about the same as a full sized 1911 when i carry it. The FNP carries damn near a full box of .45 in the mag plus the weight of the gun on top of it. Idk mabe the polymer frame is light enough to negate that weight but id almost be willing to waiger that thier loaded weight is pretty close to even.
    Also take into the account of the weight of 2 spare mags and the FNP is a chunky boy indeed. Not to mention the money you shelled out for those three boxes of .45 Winchester PDX1s,or whatever your favorite flavor of SD round is, hanging on your belt and imho the Sig comes out on top. YMMV
    It is slightly lighter than the 220 in STAINLESS with them both fully loaded, but not the standard full size p220. I owned both of those guns (P220ss is now gone) at one time and weighed them on my digital scale. (cant remember the difference, though it was slight) The sig felt heavier but was in a lower holster. I would not want to carry either one EVERY day, but sometimes it isnt that bad. I use a desantis thum-break scabbard for my FNP45. And yes it has a decocker, DA/SA, with manual safety. I also like that I can leave the saftey on while chambering a round, or clearing the gun, as well as optionaly carry cocked and locked (1911 style) or double action (decocked) with safety on or off.:twocents: Sig stainless= 39oz
    FNP 45= 32oz + weight of 6or7 more rounds
    Standard sig= 30oz

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    My P220 has an aluminum frame so i guess I was right.

Dont get me wrong I would love to have an FNP 45 tactical for competition or just a range toy or as a gun to hang a can on in the future but i still think I wouldnt carry it.

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    My P220 has an aluminum frame so i guess I was right.

Dont get me wrong I would love to have an FNP 45 tactical for competition or just a range toy or as a gun to hang a can on in the future but i still think I wouldnt carry it.

Its not my edc, I have a kahr pm45 for EDC (17.3 oz + very narrow) and I forget its there sometimes. But when going out with family and kids I carry the hand cannon. :draw:

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    So, you're correct, the USG does have a safety. My buddy had the stock variant, with only a decocker. You've just made the FN a bit more competitive in the race for my first .45, despite it's weight. Its down to ergonomics and cost. Blast! :D

elpenguin0717

Marksman
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    indy
    I carry a fnp 45 usg everday oc i honestly like carrying it more than my old colt defender and when I do cc it's also nice the darn beavertail on the 1911 drove me nuts it's heavy but owell who can complain about building muscle? Lol I don't notice it anymore and 15rnds of 45 is lovely 15zombie brains will go splat before I have drop a mag it also fits my hand perfect so it's very comfortable for me atleast to shoot

AutoMovt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    I have yet to CC my FNP-45 Comp, because I can't find a good LH holster for it. So it does nightstand and road trip duty.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Sure they do, you just have to get the USG variant.

FNH USA

Or the FNP45 Tactical

I guess I should have said "which MY FNP 45 doesn't have". My FNP 45 Tactical does have the manual safety, but with the Trijican RM04 sight mounted and the Silencerco Osprey can, it doesn't fit my IWB holster. :D

TacWithCan.jpg

Top Bottom