• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Im seriously debating building a 1911 instead of buying one. I feel like itd be cheaper, and id be less inclined to sell it or trade it since i built it. Who has bult one? What abouts did it run you cost wise. And pics please.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    gettin' ready to find out....

309tu1c.jpg

FatGeek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    i did a year ago for something to do. it was fun. not hard at all, and yes its cheaper and means more

Could you or the OP give a price range to clarify cheaper? $1k as opposed to $1500? Not trying to be difficult, just looking for a benchmark for comparison.

Thanks.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    I got a lil over 800 in mine.Had y gunsmith do it for me and my dad got me the parts at dealer cost. Used a Colt lower and CD NM slide and all Colt series 80 parts inside with Pachmyer ALS grips. Shoots better than me.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I used mostly all Fusion internals
    They are good high quality parts.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I haven't "built" one meaning I haven't machined my own frame and slide but I have put a few together. Most intensive was my 38 Super, Action Pistol 1911. Started that project with a Caspian frame in the white and one of their stainless slides. After fitting slide to frame I had Robar apply their NP3 finish to the frame. Next chore was fitting the barrel lugs to the slide and then fitting a cone comp. This was really a pita as I didn't have use of a lathe or mill but rather had to fit by hand. I used Dlask trigger parts and Ed Brown for safeties. Took me a couple weeks of fairly dedicated work but the end results were well worth it. It will shoot 1 1/2 inch 50 yard groups, has been 100% reliable, and has won me a few competitions...

newschool1911.jpg

I would highly recommend buying a copy of Hallock's 45 Auto Handbook. It is the sungle best guide when putting together a 1911 with great illustrations of how to fit the various parts together. Don't be upset if you ruin a part or two along the way...it is a learning process.

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    I Did a Fusion Kit gun about 2 years ago. I cannot post pics for some reason but it is my avatar. I used mostly Wilson Parts and the end cost (When I get the final finish done) will likely be around $1600. Again, I only used the best.

Top Bottom