• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I have the opportunity to buy a 2009 trek 1.5 for $800 OBO. (He says he's flexible on the price)

Anybody know if thats a fair price? I've been looking at the 1 series anyway, a new 1.5 is $1200 + tax. I'm not looking for a "steal" - just dont want to get ripped off. Any input would help, thanks.

if it matters, I'll be using the bike mainly for fitness, perhaps a sprint triathlon or two.

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    First thing you'll want to confirm if it's the right size for you.
    Find out what size the bike is.

If you don't know your size you'll want to find out and use this as a guide to bikes to look at.

Hard to say about the price.
    May depend on how many miles on a bike that is 5yrs old?

suzgsxr1300

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Noblesville
    I agree with JD about the importance of fit. This chart will get you in the ball park on the size bike you should be riding.

http://www.evanscycles.com/product_document/file/8bf/537/a02/21/road-bike-sizing-chart.pdf

That price seems a bit high to me, but it depends on the condition. Does it have good tires, a recent tune up, etc? Also, does it have the original components, or has anything been replaced? Is it being sold with the pedals?

You may want to swing by Performance Bike and check out what they have in stock. They probably have close out pricing on 2013's, and you can likely get a nice ride in the $800 range and not have to worry about worn out components. My first bike was a Fuji from PB, and it served me well for a few thousand miles.

No no matter what you do, enjoy the ride. Think about joining CIBA, and perhaps I'll see you on a ride sometime.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    JD- It's 54 and I'm 5-9. That would be right on the edge. I'm told that it has little wear -ha, whatever that means- SUZ good point about checking on the closeouts.

Maybe I'll throw out a lowball offer, if he takes it and the bikes not a good fit, I could resell to get most of my money back. I dunno...

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you're considering long rides (50-100 miles) or just want speed with comfort, look into a recumbent.
    PM me for more details, if interested.

Doug

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    Specialized is good. I'll repeat the advice on size and making sure its fit for your intended purpose. I have owned several Bianchi and Lightspeed bikes and always found local bike shops the best bet. Do your own research (sounds like you have) and have the store help with sizing etc.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You didn't mention what year it was and just like cars, components often change from year to year. This one might have the Tiagra group. That is good for general tooling around and low mileage riding. If you really want to get into cycling you should stick with 105 group and above for your drivetrain group. Ultegra would be better. These are Shimano brand groupsets.

I would not pay $800 for a Tiagra equipped bike.

A rule of thumb in the cycling community is to base what you will spend on a bike by the number of miles you plan on riding per year. If you will ride 1500 miles per year, spend $1500 on the bike.

You should always make sure the equipment is not your limiting factor.

stevee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2013
    Avon
    Bicycles are like firearms in that there are many choices and prices and just as many opinions. So far some good advice. Once you get a bike you will probably get bitten with upgradeitis. Check out Roadbiker Review forum. My bike has a sloping top tube. Not considered the most stylish, but versatile sizing and easier standover for a shorter person.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    www.bicyclebluebook.com is a good place to start for figuring out prices. You can also use Craigslist or EBay to get a price idea on a specific model of bike.

My local bike shop is very helpful if you want to talk to them. They also have several models of Specialized Road bikes and recumbent bikes on sale right now.

Victory Cycle Co. - Kokomo - 765-452-9717 / Specialized, Cannondale, Fuji, Catrike, TerraTrike dealer.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    A bit pricey, if you want a super smooth ride look at the surly steel frame bike, I have a trek 504 steel frame way soother than any aluminum bike with shocks.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Thanks for everyones feedback. Seriously.

I ended up at the trek store in schereville today and found out that the craigslist bike was both way overpriced and the wrong size for me.

The sales guy knew a ton and was very patient.

All I have to do now is decide between the 1.5 and the 2.1. Main difference being the shifters. Should be on the road within a months time!

*note - the sales guy told me about Bicycle Blue Book - Used Bikes in case any of you are in the market for a used bike and like me, having a hard time figuring out a value.

Ungie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2013
    Connecticut
    I have a specialized, and love it. When I bought it I went to the bike shops in late fall. They like car dealerships need to sell so that they can get the latest and greatest. I got a real good deal especially using the Well I was just over at ______ and they were willing to sell me it for.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I have a specialized, and love it. When I bought it I went to the bike shops in late fall. They like car dealerships need to sell so that they can get the latest and greatest. I got a real good deal especially using the Well I was just over at ______ and they were willing to sell me it for.

True story, I just missed out on that. The guy showed me a 2013 he still had that was very discounted, but it was much too big for me. Guess I should have gone in November! But I'm not about to wait 10 months to save a couple hundred haha.

Top Bottom