• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm filling out my form 1 and had a couple questions for you all-knowing INGOers :).

1) Caliber-My lower specifies multi, but I have read the ATF no longer accepts this, so should I just put 5.56mm?

2) Length-How am I supposed to measure the overall length? I don't have the upper yet, and do I measure it with the stock collapsed or extended? Does it have to be exact, because the best I could do is guesstimate it.

3) What do I need to have engraved on the lower? Anyone know anyplace around Bloomington that will do it?

Anyone know if Bloomington is NFA friendly? I was going to give a call down to the Bloomington PD or the Sheriff's office to ask about getting CLEO signatures, but thought I'd ask first.

Any help is appreciated, and I may have a few more questions :)

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    I'm filling out my form 1 and had a couple questions for you all-knowing INGOers :).

1) Caliber-My lower specifies multi, but I have read the ATF no longer accepts this, so should I just put 5.56mm? 5.56mm will do just fine

2) Length-How am I supposed to measure the overall length? I don't have the upper yet, and do I measure it with the stock collapsed or extended? Does it have to be exact, because the best I could do is guesstimate it. If your building a ar-15 26.5" or so will do.

3) What do I need to have engraved on the lower? Anyone know anyplace around Bloomington that will do it? Any trophy shop can do it.

Anyone know if Bloomington is NFA friendly? I was going to give a call down to the Bloomington PD or the Sheriff's office to ask about getting CLEO signatures, but thought I'd ask first. Whats this LEO stuff you speak of? I did mine on a trust. No fees no nothing. just the $200 tax.

Any help is appreciated, and I may have a few more questions :)
    Any more questions, ask away.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    1) Use the caliber that you intend to build it into for the primary configuration.

2) A upper reciever mounted on a lower reciever is 7 3/4", you would then add barrel length plus the length of your buttstock "extended".

example: If you use a 10.5" barrel, a Magpul CTR buttstock (which is approx 10.5" long when extended), and 7 3/4 for reciever length.
    10.5 + 10.5 + 7.75 = 28.75" There can be some other variables like which FH you intend to use, but the measurments above will get you what you need.

3) If you plan on going the individual route and not the trust, here is what needs to be engraved. Example: John Smith lives in Indianapolis Indiana, this is what is acceptable for the ATF
    J. Smith
    Indpls. IN

For engraving I use a company called Orion Arms out of Minnesota, as I have seen some engraving jobs butchered by trophy shops because their machines have a hard time with the type III anodizing.

I can't help you if you plan on using a trust for your NFA items, as I prefer the individual route.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    2) A upper reciever mounted on a lower reciever is 7 3/4", you would then add barrel length plus the length of your buttstock "extended".

I've always gone with the shortest possible length, i.e. measured it with the buttstock collapsed. By federal law, an SBR is a rifle with a barrel shorter than 16", and/or less than 26" in overall length. If you had a rifle with a 16" barrel that was less than 26" with the stock collapsed, do you think the Feds would consider it an SBR?

3) If you plan on going the individual route and not the trust, here is what needs to be engraved. Example: John Smith lives in Indianapolis Indiana, this is what is acceptable for the ATF
    J. Smith
    Indpls. IN

Name and location of manufacturer (you) or a commonly accepted abbreviation thereof. Trust/corporate guns need to be engraved with the name and location of the trust or corp, do they not?

For engraving I use a company called Orion Arms out of Minnesota, as I have seen some engraving jobs butchered by trophy shops because their machines have a hard time with the type III anodizing.

+1 on both. Orion has always done a great job for me, and I've got a gun that a local jeweler (who is himself a "gun guy" and who had done work for other C3 owners I know) screwed up. I also imagine your average trophy shop wouldn't have a clue about the ATF's size and depth requirements for the engraving.

I can't help you if you plan on using a trust for your NFA items, as I prefer the individual route.

Me too. I live in a jurisdiction where the CLEO always signs, and I don't have a pre-existing trust or corp. I don't see the need to go through the hassle of setting one up at this point, just to make the C3 process a skosh easier.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Is there an age restriction on making the SBR? I don't think there is because I can legally buy the rifle, but just wanted to make sure before I go through the rest of this stuff. (I'm under 21).

This is the setup I'm thinking about doing:
    CMMG M2 10.3 Upper (VLTOR MUR w/Shell Deflectorand Bolt Assist, Full-Auto Carrier, E.G.R.E.S.S Bolt Upgrade, No Charging Handle Upgrade, Extended/Polished Ramps, A2 Post, YHM Gas Block/Flip Front Sight w/Bayo Lug and Sling Loop, Round Forward Assist, YHM Lightweight Mid-Length Free Float Four Rail, Troy Folding Battle Rear Sight, No Hider) Then add a Noveske KX3.

Any problems? Change anything? Any other suggestions?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Is there an age restriction on making the SBR?

Yes, you must be 21 years of age. Sorry, dude! :noway:

This is the setup I'm thinking about doing:
    CMMG M2 10.3 Upper (VLTOR MUR w/Shell Deflectorand Bolt Assist, Full-Auto Carrier, E.G.R.E.S.S Bolt Upgrade, No Charging Handle Upgrade, Extended/Polished Ramps, A2 Post, YHM Gas Block/Flip Front Sight w/Bayo Lug and Sling Loop, Round Forward Assist, YHM Lightweight Mid-Length Free Float Four Rail, Troy Folding Battle Rear Sight, No Hider) Then add a Noveske KX3.

Personally, I think the MUR is overkill, there are better choices out there than the YHM tube, and the KX3 is overly heavy and expensive while being of limited utility on a 10.5" gun.

My $.02.

Last edited:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    boooo :-( looks like I've gotta wait a little bit :-( let's just hope no bans go into place before my 21st :-( everyone else will drink on theirs, I will send in my form 1 :)

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    where is the age set to 21? All I can find is that you must be able to possess under the GCA, which has the age set at no one under 18.

Gump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Ellettsville
    Nate, check into this a little further before you give up. The form1 only says "Give full details on separate sheet for all "Yes" answers in items 7 and 8"

It doesn't say "Yes" answers disqualify you.
    A year or so ago, there was a thread either on Arfcom or M4C.net titled SBR at 18 or some such. IIRC, this kid was from Fla., and got a few RSBR's.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    The only question that I can answer is that Bloomington is NFA friendly from what I have heard. I also have a can for a .22 and the chief signed with no trouble, and I know of someone who owns a ton of full auto gear in the Bloomington area.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    That gives me hope :): I'll give the BATFE a ring tomorrow sometime, maybe they'll give me an answer.

And it's good to hear we're NFA friendly, but now you've gotta let me try out your can :pffftt:

ETA: We've got to get a Bloomington group shoot together sometime. I've only met one person of this board in real life, and we didn't even get to shoot. At the least, maybe a INGO Bloomington dinner maybe?

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    It was arfcom, you can do a sbr @18. I wish i had the link for you.

Good to hear a reaffirmation of that. Gonna give the ATF a call tomorrow though, just to be sure before I get my pics and prints done.

Thanks for everything guys.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    The thread on ARFCOM was deleted at the OP's request. Not sure why, as it was sticky'd, and had a letter from the ATF confirming that is was indeed legal.

tony_k the mod in the C3 section on ARFCOM told me, that after the original OP recieved his approved form 1, that ALOT of guys from ARFCOM between the ages of 18 and 20 sent in form 1's as well.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    So I found one arfcom thread that said to check the yes box, attach a letter saying that I was under 21, but that it was legal for me to possess the weapon, and that the ATF would approve as long as Indiana law doesn't forbid it.

:rockwoot: Now I just have to figure out when I can make it to the PD during fingerprint hours and the CLEO is there, which is going to suck because I have class every day they're open....

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I've read about the trust route, but really don't understand how it works/I could set it up. Do I have to pay for the trust? What else special do I have to do? It would actually be way easier for me to do it the trust route, but I'm just unsure how to do it, or set up the trust.

Any help would be appreciated :wavey:

Top Bottom