So you want to buy your signifant other a gun and you need help.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    It is Christmas and I'm reading all the great threads about guys, so proud of their wives, describing the great firearms gifts they have received. I'm thinking there are a 100 unrealized stories for every one of those that didn't happen because the significant other had the good sense to refrain from guessing at what their loved one might want.

I think there is an unmet need here that INGO can figure out and fix for!

The posts that follow should be a brainstorming session so the fine folks of the somewhat still free world perusing the interwebs can get help in getting their significant other the best firearm related gift possible.

Raw thoughts...potential directions for this solution.

The significant other that exemplifies the unmet need is less informed about gun products as the person they are wanting to buy for. Unlike other potential gift items they are not as likely to go to a store specializing in the item to ask about it. We have all been around guns enough to know that the everyday person has no problem going into a watch or department store but at the same time there is a huge portion of the population that consider a gun related store part of a subculture that makes them uncomfortable. We can argue that silliness all day but it is a reality.

Potential method... Form A pool of "covert agents" that can be called upon by "gifters". These folks are people that already have good post counts and history in gun related social forums that volunteer to engage the "giftee" into conversation in a manner that guides them to disclose where they are in their focus, current state and future direction of gun interests. The "covert agents" post their screen names in a sticky thread and "gifters" can contact them via PM so their interest is never posted publicly. The sticky has enough direction to show up on a google search and direct the (usually less gun knowledgeable) gifter about the process to be comfortable in contacting the "agent".

Dude, you're over thinking this. Just make a thread so the gifter can state what they think their significant other is into and have more seasoned gun folks trouble shoot her gift ideas.

We need to get this figured out by next year. Yes, you have more important things to do your life between now and then but now is the time to get your thoughts down while they are still fresh.

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I'm in as a "covert agent". I've helped 7 or 8 people so far this year obtain training and firearms. I think this is a great idea! I see thread after thread that says "What gun to get "blank"?" and 9 pages of answers that say "Take THEM TO TRY ONE" or "You'll know when you feel it". I agree with these sayings to a point, but sometimes, a person just needs a few ideas and where to go after knowing their budget and intent for the firearm.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The helper idea is o.k. but if the buyer is going to log on here to find help anyway, why not just start a stickey thread of wish lists, kind of like a gift registry for a wedding or birthday.

That way the buyer could just go see what their significant other wants by checking the registry.
    The helpers would still be useful for the buyer to ask specific questions.

Top Bottom