• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oDbCo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 18, 2016
    Franklin/Greenwood
    I'm looking for a more comfortable way to carry my handguns. My main problem is comfort (or lack thereof) with most IWB holsters. I have a few concerns with the SOB carry option.

-How well does it conceal with a button up shirt? (We're talking sub-compact, maybe some mid size)
    -How comfortable is it? If I can feel it there rubbing my skin raw or pinching me with every step, I will stop wearing it.
    -Is sitting/driving awkward? Does it dig into your back when you get into your car?

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I personally hate SOB holsters. Main reason, is if you fall (or get knocked down) on your back your spine might be in a world of hurt.

I much prefer and much prefer appendix 12 or anywhere up to 2 oclock. But you can easily conceal at 4-5 oclock just as easily and it would be much more comfortable.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I personally hate SOB holsters. Main reason, is if you fall (or get knocked down) on your back your spine might be in a world of hurt.

I much prefer and much prefer appendix 12 or anywhere up to 2 oclock. But you can easily conceal at 4-5 oclock just as easily and it would be much more comfortable.

THIS! I gave away mine when I discovered the potential severe injury possibility. And beside, I found carrying IWB @ 4/5 or 7/8 oclock position Infinitely much more comfortable.

/Thread

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I carried SOB forever, then one day my cat ran into my garage and got up inside my car while i had guests over. It sucked hearing a feeling my gun pressed against cement, having a small piece of metal at the base of your spine is uncomfortable when you have to lay on your back to say the least. But if you were pushed or fell down due to ice or anything else it could leave you paralyzed.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Also carried SOB for a lng time. switched to 4oclock and am MUCH happier. So many styles of holsters, it's just a matter of finding the right one. Once I got the Alien Gear, I was hooked. Other than a little extra weight on that corner of hte pants from all those soul stealing .45's, I never know it's there. at home, I sometime forget to take it off.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I'm looking for a more comfortable way to carry my handguns. My main problem is comfort (or lack thereof) with most IWB holsters. I have a few concerns with the SOB carry option.

-How well does it conceal with a button up shirt? (We're talking sub-compact, maybe some mid size)
    -How comfortable is it? If I can feel it there rubbing my skin raw or pinching me with every step, I will stop wearing it.
    -Is sitting/driving awkward? Does it dig into your back when you get into your car?

Spend some money on a quality belt and holster and I suspect your problems will go away. You'll have a hard time finding anyone that recommends SOB carry.

Lelliott8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2016
    Crawfordsville
    There are a lot of reasons to hate SOB carry. These reasons include, but are not limited to, the following...

1. You can't access your gun while sitting.
    2. You can't access your gun while on your back.
    3. You can't conceal a decent sized gun.
    4. If you move, you're printing.
    5. If someone decides to take your gun, you can't stop them.
    6. The pain is excruciating and eternal.

Ok, I'm exaggerating slightly. But in my opinion, this is one of the worst ways to carry. Try appendix, it's not always comfortable, but it's a great place to keep your gun for when you need it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My main problem is comfort (or lack thereof) with most IWB holsters.

What holsters have you tried? Are you sizing your pants to incorporate the added thickness of the gun? Are you using a belt that is made for carrying and mates up correctly to the holster?

oDbCo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 18, 2016
    Franklin/Greenwood
    I've tried some kydex holsters from Patriot, a local company, paired with a Glock 42 at 1oclock. Honestly though the most comfortable thing IWB has been a snub nose revolver in an Uncle Mike's holster at 1oclock.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just to be clear to everyone I am talking about an OWB SOB holster. I have tried IWB SOB, but the angle is too difficult to draw my firearm efficiently.

Correct, but there is a safety/comfort problem with putting ANYTHING between your spine and a solid surface when impacting it. The IWB/OWB question was in regards to the other methods of carry that were suggested as an alternative.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Just to be clear to everyone I am talking about an OWB SOB holster. I have tried IWB SOB, but the angle is too difficult to draw my firearm efficiently.
    If you are talking about OWB, why would you go SOB? Why not just carry at 3 o'clock?

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    There are a lot of reasons to hate SOB carry. These reasons include, but are not limited to, the following...

1. You can't access your gun while sitting.
    2. You can't access your gun while on your back.
    3. You can't conceal a decent sized gun.
    4. If you move, you're printing.
    5. If someone decides to take your gun, you can't stop them.
    6. The pain is excruciating and eternal.

Ok, I'm exaggerating slightly. But in my opinion, this is one of the worst ways to carry. Try appendix, it's not always comfortable, but it's a great place to keep your gun for when you need it.

This is the real thing. Do some force on force training and try to win a fight with sob carry. Not gonna happen.

oDbCo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 18, 2016
    Franklin/Greenwood
    I still want some concealibility. I wear button up shirts, so they aren't that tight fitting. My handgun should be able to be somewhat concealable there (I think).

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've tried some kydex holsters from Patriot, a local company, paired with a Glock 42 at 1oclock. Honestly though the most comfortable thing IWB has been a snub nose revolver in an Uncle Mike's holster at 1oclock.

Appendix doesn't work for everyone. I carry a full sized Sig strong side IWB in a blade tech and forget it's there.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I still want some concealibility. I wear button up shirts, so they aren't that tight fitting. My handgun should be able to be somewhat concealable there (I think).

Until you bend over and your shirt catches on your gun and exposes it. SOB looks cool on tv, but it's not a good choice in real life, especially considering the potential for injury.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Please don't SOB carry, ever notice cops stopped carrying their cuffs there? Being paralyzed sucks besides 4:30 carry just pushes into the back flab and disappears.

Top Bottom