• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Talk to your local plumbers.
    Lead and oakum seals are still all over the place in old plumbing systems.
    There is also the lead roof boots used on vent stacks, so you might ask some roofers too.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Call around to dentists also. Ask if they use any non-digital xray film. If they do, see if they'll save it up for you. They shouldn't be throwing it away anyway so you are doing them a favor by picking it up for them. It's medical grade pure lead that comes in foil sheets. I've already got a guy that gets mine. We're mostly digital now so I don't generate much anymore.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Off topic...kinda, sorry. What's the going price on lead these days. I was told by a gunshop the other day that has a range, he gets .75 cents a pound. Last time I bought scrap, I got it for .20 cents a pound...thanks guys.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I scored a gob of soft lead remodeling a Dr. Office that had an X-Ray room. That's a long shot but but other sources might be stick on wheel weights as mentioned and local utilities. The phone companies have lots of lead splices if you know anybody in that field as well as lead water lines which if they are exposed have to be replaced. My local scrap yard won't sell anything once they buy it. My brother in law did buy some old lead drains for me while he was stationed in Ky. I've never paid more than .50 per pound for wheel weights. And I've bought it a couple times at .25 cents which is more reasonable in my mind because of the ever increasing "clinkers" or zinc weights.

postell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2015
    Indiana
    As the bossman at your scrapyard to swap scrap for scrap. You trade in your copper for his lead. Some Scrapyard's will not resell to the public because they don't have the correct retail licenses.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Dead soft will be tough to find. If you just want "softer than hard" that's much easier. Stick-on weights are not a true dead-soft lead, they are just softer than the hard-lead of the clip-ons. I have plenty of Stick On Weight (SOW) ingots but I keep them for cutting my Clip On Weight (COW) lead when I want a softer alloy.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Dead soft will be tough to find. If you just want "softer than hard" that's much easier. Stick-on weights are not a true dead-soft lead, they are just softer than the hard-lead of the clip-ons. I have plenty of Stick On Weight (SOW) ingots but I keep them for cutting my Clip On Weight (COW) lead when I want a softer alloy.

I was wanting soft lead to make round balls for a percussion revolver. Though I have been reading that wheel weights can work OK as long as you use a loading press to load the cylinders. I tend to like to load that way anyway.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I was wanting soft lead to make round balls for a percussion revolver. Though I have been reading that wheel weights can work OK as long as you use a loading press to load the cylinders. I tend to like to load that way anyway.
    I think stick-on weights are a preferred lead supply for that; they are a bit harder than dead-soft, but still soft enough to load by hand.

Clip-on weights are HARD. I have no experience with a loading press so I have no idea if that will or won't work with clip-on wheel weight alloys. You may want to verify, there is a difference in the hardness of the 2 different types of wheel weights.

Top Bottom