• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    Already, as of January 2013, the magnetic belts of the Sun have begun to turn very fast, indicating that a new storm is brewing.

Sun%20Waking%20Up.jpg

Last edited:

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    Here is a link to another article.

'Black swan' predictions for 2013 include solar storm - Computerworld

According to a government report, "Solar geomagnetic storms could knock out satellites, the electric grid, and many sensitive electronic devices," said this report, Global Trends 2030. "The recurrence intervals of crippling solar geomagnetic storms, which are less than a century, now pose a substantial threat because of the world's dependence on electricity."

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    It's Bush's fault!

Algore is sure to blame our use of "fossil" fuel, and our love of the automobile.

Yes, we are the cause of global warming, the sun has nothing to do with it.

And I will say this for about the millionth time, just about, if not all automobile ECUs and TCUs (Engine and Transmission Control Units) are hardened against EMPs and the like. Unfortunately anything plugged into the electric grid could have issues.

In the mean time I am more worried about what our government is doing (controllable) and not as much as that which is out of my control.

On the other hand, the Northern Lights should be amazing!!!

:D

JAFO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 16, 2012
    Since the Mayan calendar thing didn't pan out, I will focus all my spare energy on this solar flare thing!! Time to google "faraday cages"!!

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Solar activity's been increasing since its latest nadir in 2005. It actually spiked up in late 2011 only to crash back down in 2012, but it's slated to rise to its latest 11 year peak in 2013. Looks like I picked the right time to get back into ham radio.

This latest Solar Cycle 24 looks to be a little smeared out and depressed compared to historic solar cycles. There won't be any meaningful threats from CMEs or sun spots for the foreseeable future.

Top Bottom