• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I tried a search for this and came up with nothing. I'm wondering if anyone has sold of a firearm lately (or in the past) due to a lack of ammo available? I'm pondering parting ways with one for this reason. I have found ammo for it but because of the current market I can't justify paying what people/businesses are wanting for it. Pre-pandemic it was sub $1.50 a round (hunting grade); now it's more than double if not triple and in some cases it is quadruple. I'm finding it difficult to spend the coin for this ammo for what it is. The best I've seen was a business in Texas had 200 rounds for $700. I don't know if I can bring myself to it. I really don't have a connection to this gun but at the same time I don't want to sell it. It boils down to it continues to take up space in the safe while I (we all) wait for a possible drop in ammo price (which will more than likely never happen) or I part ways with it and use that money to buy more ammo for a different one?

Lpherr

Occupied
    Will the reason you want to sell, prevent someone else from wanting to purchase, or drive down the price they're willing to pay?
    It might be better to hold onto it, at least a little while to see how ammo prices do. You might regret selling it, if you didn't want to in the first place.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've not done it so far. I have a rifle for which ammo is practically unobtanium (6.5x53R Dutch Mannlicher bicycle carbine), but I was able to source some brass made from .303 Brit brass and make my own. I have gone the opposite direction too and bought ammo for which I didn't have a gun to fire it (6.5x54 Mannlicher) in the hopes that I would eventually find a gun for it. :):

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    I had an AR .458 socom when they first came out around here. Could NOT find ammo anywhere and never pulled the trigger on it. Traded and bow for it. Ended up making stupid $$$ on it when I sold it to a guy in TX that had to have it. He Paid all the FFL fees and shipping so I jumped on it.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I had an AR .458 socom when they first came out around here. Could NOT find ammo anywhere and never pulled the trigger on it. Traded and bow for it. Ended up making stupid $$$ on it when I sold it to a guy in TX that had to have it. He Paid all the FFL fees and shipping so I jumped on it.
    That makes sense if the opportunity is there. I do have my price even though I don't sell anymore. :thumbsup:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have indeed sold a gun (Polish TT-33 Tokarev that I regret selling) plus all the corrosive surplus 7.62x25 ammo I had for it. Then just a couple of years ago when I started seeing modern 7.62x25 SD ammo become available (and modern fmj too), I decided to get another Tokarev, but settled on a Romanian when somebody had them on sale.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sell me some 7.62x39 at 1990s pricing and I’ll join the AK army!
    What did 5.56 sell for back in the 90's? (I have no idea - I didn't start getting into guns again until about 2010) Maybe we can work a trade? Or better yet... got any 6.5x53R Dutch? I'll trade you 3 to 1! :):

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'm hanging on to all of mine. Never know when things will change. Or you run across a few thousand rounds at a yard sale for cheap. Stranger things have happened.

Top Bottom