• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • X ring

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    I have the loaded model with 5k rounds through it. Just got back from Springfield with fresh night sights after ten years. One of my favorite guns to shoot.:twocents:

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    If it is between these two guns, I'd vote for the Range Officer. I don't and won't own a 1911 with front cocking serrations. I think they spoil the appearance of the gun. Additionally, I can't ever see myself using them. I think putting your hand near the muzzle of a gun is foolish.

Beyond that, I fail to appreciate the importance of adjustable sights. I have a Kimber and a Springfield Mil-Spec, both with fixed sights. The Mil-spec has very good accuracy as is. The Kimber is tack-driver accurate. I have difficulty seeing how adjustable sights could improve either. YMMV.

Hobie8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Lake County
    Just got my first 1911 a couple months back. A nice new S/A Loaded with night sights. Love it, and I'm already looking at another one. At first it had some feeding issues, but customer service at S/A was on it quicker than a seagull on a french fry. Sent the gun back, and it was back in less than 2 weeks. They replaced the barrel, and polished it, and the feed ramp till they shined like chrome. Didn't cost me a cent. First class gun with matching customer service.
    :rockwoot:

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Neither! Get the TRP! :D

TRP.JPG

Bestest gun EVER!

Brown86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    I looked at a lot of 1911's and for my first i chose the Range Officer. I couldn't be happier! Shoots great and its solid. i started reading this and had to get it out and take it apart and clean it just so i had a reason to look at it again. For the longest time i thought night sights would take away from its looks. that was until i went to an indoor shooting range and was taking shots at a black target..all of a sudden those little white dots didn't seem like a bad idea. I had a guy tell me that you should just take a little white out and dab on the end of the sight and that would work fine if you didn't have the extra cash to get night sights and you could also just clean it off if you changed your mind. This gun was also my first Springfield and i wont hesitate to buy from them again.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    I like the loaded. I like front serrations, the ambi safety and the mag well. Not a fan of the color scheme, but that is OK, since I am not buying it.

But either will be excellent. Good luck and enjoy!!

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I bought both of my Springfields (Champion and full-sized) as Loaded models, primarily because they came OTB with the ambi thumb safety I need (being a southpaw) and some other features I wanted in a carry 1911 (such as stainless construction and tritium Novaks) at a very reasonable price.

The Champion was priced almost $125 less than the two-tone Kimber Pro Carry in the showcase next to it which didn't have either the ambi safety or tritiums. A "No-Brainer" choice, for me anyway, and I haven't regretted it for a moment since. I took it to the Chapman Academy for the 5-day DP-I course and ran nearly 2300 rds of assorted 230 gr. ammo through it without a bobble. Still my most trusted EDC.

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    The RO has the fit and finish of the TRP and the loaded is more of a mill spec with some goodies. The big difference I see is the loaded comes with FLGR , ambidextrous safety,night sites and forward cocking serrations. The RO is supposed to have more nicely fit/finished internals and a better barrel. It also has adjustable sights and is parkerized. The RO comes with a standard plug and guide which would save the trouble of ditching a useless full length guide rod and does not have forward cocking serrations (FCS) I don't think you can go wrong either way, the pros and cons of each are the cons and pros of the other. Really it all boils down to personal preference!
    Or you can skip them both and go with my personal favorite.
    TRP full rail operator!

img0833mc.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom