• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I am looking to buy a new rifle for coyote hunting. I narrowed down my options to a 243 or 22-250. Can anyone give me some suggestions on what would be a good dependable option? I want something that will hold it's performance and value for decades.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I was having this same debate for the last couple years. I have a .223 but wanted something that would reach out a bit more. I would recommend a .243 just because you can get heavier bullets IF you want (up to about 100 grains), with a 22-250 you are limited in bullet weights (not much past 65 grains that I know of. Prices on ammo are similar, but I've found a wider offering in .243 - both varmint and bonded bullets.
    If you are worried about the .243 being too much gun for a yote, don't be. I shot a coyote in the throat (facing me, hit him bottom of throat) with a hornady superformance v-max bullet (highly recommended btw - heavier bullet at 22-250 velocities!!!) and there was NO exit wound. The bullet totally fragmented and dropped this guy in his tracks at 225 yds.
    BOTH of those calibers give you extra yardage compared to a .223.
    Look at my recent review of the T/C Dimension rifle - if you didn't want to pick between the calibers, you could have both calibers for about $700 total - even add in a 308 barrel for another $180.

Not that you asked - but I would also recommend a Tikka T3 lite, T/C Venture, in either caliber -- it's ok to think outside of the "Remington 700 box" if you're looking for a high value rifle. Even the Savage edge/axis is good value for the money

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I'd do the .243 as well. A little more versatile and if you ever get a chance to shoot deer in a rifle hunting area the .243 would work.

If I were getting that gun, and I might be, I'd probably lean towards the Savage Model 11/111 with Accutrigger. Very accurate, very good trigger too. I might even look at a .204 Ruger specifically for Yotes.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I like both and both have good points. The 243 will not drift in the wind as much and is a good deer rifle if you go to a rifle state. The 22-250 is just a explosive round and is bad medicine on critters. Can't go wrong with either. 22-250 ammo is easier to find though.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    .243 would be my choice. You can load 55gr 6mm bullets to 4000 FPS if you're not too worried about bbl life and you want a real coyote hammer but for my money 75gr ballistic tips at a little slower speed are hammer enough. .260 Rem is basically the same case in 6.5 caliber and is also a good long range 'yote round. An AR10 lower would allow you to build an upper in either caliber.

Since it'll fit on an AR15 lower I've been thinkin about building a 6.5 grendel upper for 'yotes. Now if I just had some time to go hunting.:xmad:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've been running .243's since '78 :) Nosler 70 gr BT's get my 4350 ;)

The Savage Axis is a cheap rifle. The OP states he wants it to hold its value.............well that pretty much rules out any entry level rifle IMHO.
    The stock Axis/Edge trigger can be helped for only a couple of bucks (no need to order a $75 Rifle Basix). The stock however flat out sucks.
    Even after stiffening up the forend, it's a bit flimsy- plus the comb is set for iron sights and the rig doesn't come with any.
    You'll probably need to make a cheekpiece for it if using medium rings. Low rings will help, but then the bolt will hit your scope's rear eyepiece (have to sculpt bolt handle a wee bit).

Usable, but expect to tweak it. Cheapest rifle I'd get would be a 700 ADL synth.

My Axis write up:

http://piratesofarchery.net/bb/viewtopic.php?p=157888

Last edited:

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    ...I've got a bolt 22-250 Tikka T3 stainless Lite.

Friggin' great iron. I bolted a Nikon BDC on it.

I use it for long distance shooting Prairie Dawgs in SoDakota.

Loads of recoil because of the "lite" nature of the synth stock, etc.

It is crazy accurate but love the thing.

dsb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    I have a .243 and shoot Winchester 55g ballistic silvertips. Shoots great......3900fps. I had a 22-250 about 15 years ago, it was a tack driver.....you cant go wrong with either one.

Top Bottom