• ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I have a P.O.S. 2004 GM car that I drive as my work car. This model of car is known for having a piece of crap, 25 cent piece of plastic that supports the power windows and is prone to breaking. First time it happened to me my car guy charged me $500 to fix it, the 25 cent part that breaks is part of the assembly and you have to buy the whole track system to repair it.

Well, when windows 2 and 3 did the same thing, I figured out how to fix it myself (youtube is wonderful) but after fixing the window, I have a heavy duct tape residue on the glass. When the track broke, I had to duct tape the window closed until the replacement track came in. Any ideas on a solvent to get this off that won't eat the rubber or weatherstripping around the window?

Thanks, SAM

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    my grand am did the exact same thing... was also a 2004. i sold the car... as for removing the residue i have used Goof Off... but not on a window.... ymmv

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Try alcohol swabs maybe, that wont leave any residue.

I use that to clean residue of duct tape on my knives.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    the absolute best adhesive remover (yes better than goo gone) is 3M adhesive remover. I use it when i take vinyl decals off of signs and cars. I know you can get it at napa, it comes in a metal can and is about 20 bucks. I have used every adhesive remover you can buy at menards or lowes and this is by far the best.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Laquer thinner will take off any residue and evaporate very fast. Great on glass, but avoid getting on anything else, could pull color out of vinyl possibly.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    the absolute best adhesive remover (yes better than goo gone) is 3M adhesive remover. I use it when i take vinyl decals off of signs and cars. I know you can get it at napa, it comes in a metal can and is about 20 bucks. I have used every adhesive remover you can buy at menards or lowes and this is by far the best.

this^ as a car detailer for years this was the only product I used for such things.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I'm gonna be spending most of the day working on vehicles myself. Nothing serious this time though, just routine issues but I'm lazy.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    try naptha. it is great at removing any sort of resadue and it evaporates so fast, you wont even know that it was used. acetone has similar properties and might work but smells worse

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    Acetone will work, but it may not be plastic friendly. Nail polish remover is mainly acetone and is cheap.

Preferably 100% acetone and a razor blade, if on glass. I take off decals all the time with it. Goo gone should work pretty good on rubber/painted parts.

Top Bottom