• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I've been thinking about picking up a J frame sometime after Christmas for a backup/coat gun. I've shot a few and they seem accurate enough for my liking. Do any of you carry one in your pocket or coat pocket? I assume you have a little thin holster or something you have it in. My EDC is a G19 and while I can carry it pretty much anywhere it's my smallest pistol and I think something a tad smaller may be handy. I already have a 38 Special revolver so another in that caliber won't be a bad thing. :) Just looking for some opinions thanks!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Yep- carry an M&P340 in a Desanti Nemesis holster all the time. Originally bought it to carry in jogging pants and shorts around the house, but it's so handy and lite I carry it all the time now.

For pocket carry, a holster is a must as is an internal hammer. For best mileage with j-frame pocket carry, get the least heavy you can. In Smith's this will be the 340PD and M&P340. Both of these are chambered for 357, in case you haven't experienced enough pain in your life.

RetDep310

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Columbus
    Also have a M&P340, and love it. Carry it more than my Glock 19. Just a matter of it being much lighter. The 340's are pretty pricey, and I got mine by trading up a couple of times. The 442/642's can be had for less than $400 if you shop around. Pocket carry in a thin Blackhawk holster or a Nemisis sometimes. Great in coat pocket carry also. Loaded with Speer 135gr .38+P.....

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My main EDC is a G27. I have a S&W 442 Airweight that I pocket carry either as a BUG or sometimes as my main gun. I use a Blackhawk pocket holster and it has always worked very well for me. I love my 442 btw! :rockwoot:

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    Another snubby you may want to consider is the Ruger LCR. It is nearly as light as the Air-Lite Smiths and has a much better trigger out of the box. The only drawback is that there are fewer holsters available for it. Some folks don't care for the standard Hogue grips. The LCR is also available with compact Hogue grips for those folks. Nothing against the S&W 340's, 351's, 442's, 640's, 642's, and 940's--I have one of each--but the LCR is what I carry when I carry a snubby. :twocents:

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Nobody has mentioned my carry J frame yet so ill throw it in there.

S&W 638 Airweight - It might be ugly but for me its the perfect carry J frame. I like that it has a shrouded hammer but you can still thumb it back if you want to shoot single action. For pocket carry I like the short factory grips but if your going to run a holster I recommend the Hogue Bantam grips. They add a bit of bulk but really tame the airweight recoil.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    642 in a Mika pocket holster. Fits well in most of my jeans. I've yet to try coat-pocket carry as I rarely wear a coat.

for on-waist carry, it's in a high noon Split Decision.

-J-

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    S&W 642 for me also.

IWB I use a crossbreed supertuck. If I throw it in my pocket or my car console I have a little uncle Mikes cheapy holster

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    340PD in a Desantis Pocket Nemesis like the below....

DSGN38BJN3Z0_1.jpg

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Thanks for the info and tips everyone! I really like the idea of having one of these for concealment, going to have to keep my eyes open on our classifieds and my LGS. Keep the info coming!!:rockwoot:

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I have a older model 60 and a model 36. I just slip them into my pocket at times. No holster, just drop them in my coat pocket. Been carrying them like that for years. I think I got my first model 36 in about late 60's.

knot4reel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Way down south by Bl
    I carry Ruger LCR 357 several ways , in a nemesis pocket, in a Bianchi Shadow OWB @4 or cross draw position, and at times in a coat pocket. Purchased a bootgrip for it, seems to conceal a little better.

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    Just this week Ruger announced an LCR-22 to complement their .38 Spl+P and .357 Mag LCR's. A .22 LR LCR pays for itself in no time considering the cost of practicing with centerfire ammo. An added plus, according to reviewer Jeff Quinn, is that the trigger geometry of the LCR makes them able to fire rimfire ammo reliably with their standard 6-7 lb trigger pull where most of the other companies' DA rimfire revolvers require a heavy trigger of 10-12 lbs to reliably fire rimfire ammo. The Ruger LCR-22 is most definitely on my list of must-buy guns.

ALSO--while most new guns take several months to a year to make it to the local gun shop, the Ruger LCR-22s are already showing up, albeit allocated. :twocents:

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Not that you are that close, but Midwest up in Mishawaka has the airweight J's for $329 through the end of the month. My preference is the 642 since it has no path for lint to hang up the hammer movement.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I carry a S&W 342 in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. Mine wears Crimson Trace Lasergrips and I strongly recommend them. Its nice to be able to hold the gun close to your body at waist level (where no one can grab it) and still drill the target in the center.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    iSeekLight
    Top Bottom