• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    Interesting, but the study is 10 years old.

Yeah... But if were merely discussing "traffic" related issues - on average Indy's roadways and transit systems have done nothing but improve over the last 10 years. Population wise Indy was down due to economy issues and closer to 900K then it was over a million. I think that has rebounded slightly.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    The biggest issue with trying to evacuate a population center is that people tend to wait 'til the last moment to evacuate, instead of leaving as soon as they can. We're fortunate in Marion County to have not only multiple Interstate highways in all major directions, but also some pretty well developed state highways leading in all directions. The Interstates are fairly easy to control as far as directing traffic during an evacuation, but by the same token are the easiest to bring to a standstill in the (inevitable) event of accidents. State highway are harder to control traffic but offer more options for bypassing traffic backups. The key to surviving an evacuation is to be among the first to leave.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Look at the reports of the evacuations for the wildfire in Canada. Hours and hours to go just a few miles.

Yep. It's an illustration of evacuation difficulties, to be sure, but it's difficult to compare directly with most significant cities east of the Mississippi in the U.S.

There's really just ONE main highway in/out of Ft. McMurray - Hwy 63. It doesn't split into Hwy 881 until 15 mi south of town, and even then, 881 is just a 2-lane road (below). Lots more ways in/out of Indianapolis.

Much depends on the number and quality of the roads, and the organization of the evacuation. As an example of the organization component, Ann Arbor, MI moves almost twice the population of the Ft. McMurray area in/out of town (in a few hours) for every home game during football season.

9201291.jpg

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    I wouldn't rate Pittsburgh that high.
    Getting across the rivers is a real pain.
    Limited bridges.
    Want to experience an evacuation condition?
    Try driving out of town on a Friday at 5:15PM.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Our government should hire the planners at Disney world to figure out how to get everybody outta town! I've been at Magic Kingdom at closing time, and seen vast crowds of people disperse in minutes. The first time we got into the closing time crowd, I thought "my god, we'll be here for hours" but in less than 20 minutes, we were across the lake, in our car, heading back to the resort, and there was no traffic jam in the lot, and no traffic on the roads!

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Our government should hire the planners at Disney world to figure out how to get everybody outta town! I've been at Magic Kingdom at closing time, and seen vast crowds of people disperse in minutes. The first time we got into the closing time crowd, I thought "my god, we'll be here for hours" but in less than 20 minutes, we were across the lake, in our car, heading back to the resort, and there was no traffic jam in the lot, and no traffic on the roads!

It is worth the drive to Disney World just to see how well they operate.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Well, you see, Disney has a profit motive and want to keep their customers happy. Evacuation managed by bureaucracy is not so motivated, they can just fight to raise your taxes and then take the money. If you don't give them more money they will lay off the police and fire department then blame you for the long delays.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Well, you see, Disney has a profit motive and want to keep their customers happy. Evacuation managed by bureaucracy is not so motivated, they can just fight to raise your taxes and then take the money. If you don't give them more money they will lay off the police and fire department then blame you for the long delays.

WAIT! Are you saying that capitalism in action actually works???

I. Am. Shocked.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

Disney also does not have to mess with messy civic issues like democracy. The mouse is a dictator, but the monorails do run on time and they are clean. Nice place to visit, would not want to live that way.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN

Showed this to my son who works at Disney and he confirmed exit is very well planned and efficient. Disney is expert at crowd management. The "guest" are basically sheeple:
    1) give them a goal - getting to bed in the hotel
    2) point them in the right direction - funnel them to the exit points and their cars
    3) don't let them get distracted - no lookie lou accidents or bottlenecks, just keep moving and open more exit lanes to keep them moving

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Disney also does not have to mess with messy civic issues like democracy. The mouse is a dictator, but the monorails do run on time and they are clean. Nice place to visit, would not want to live that way.

And they are allowed to dictate to their employees and manage their business in a way that is pleasing to their customers. Pointing out the inefficiencies of a bureaucracy as opposed to a capitalist solution is not advocating for a political dictatorship.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Don't forget that the boats at Disney provide a critical part of the orderly departure. They limit the number of people per unit time such as to prevent the possibility of the bottlenecks we have in the real world when nothing stops the aggressive actions that lead to stopping up the works through being jackasses pushing and shoving. It is no secret that there would be no traffic jams on most chronically jam-prone highways if all traffic could be limited to a uniform speed rather than allowing a certain subset to drive like they are on the Nascar circuit and then cause a traffic jam the first time they come up on a slow mover (i.e., following the speed limit) or two. In the same way, the boats break down the speed and volume such as to prevent this from happening.

In order to apply this to the highway, all we need are interactively governed cars that receive signals one way or other limiting them to a certain speed determined by persons other than the drivers, and instant solution for traffic jams, everything works efficiently, and as the driver you are not far from operating more like having a private car on a train rather than operating an autonomous vehicle. Problem solved. Isn't it grand?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Don't forget that Indianapolis gets annual practice at evacuating the equivalent of half the county out of Speedway. I don't know what it's like nowadays, but when I worked for Emergency Management and had to attend the 500 every year, the county managed to get the majority of the 200k+ people out of the area in a couple hours. Knowing a bit about the agency now, I doubt that county-wide evacuation plans are very well advanced, but the local law enforcement agencies have a pretty good base to start from.

That said, I repeat what I said before: If it looks like you need to evacuate, make up your mind early and git! before everyone else decides they need to leave.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom