• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    My biggest thing with persimmons is that I don't have a clue how to process them... If you wait til they drop and are mushy the skins falls apart. Which means any mechanical means of processing you get bits of skin with them. So you're left to peel by hand before mechanical processing. Is there a better way?
    My wife knows how but, according to her, with all the mess and the time, it's worth the few bucks it costs to buy persimmon pulp somebody else processed.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    We just clean ours really good then run them through a strainer thingy. Yeah, that is a technical term. The food processing thing that looks like a pan with a crank handle on top and strainer in the bottom.

Yeah, that's what I tried it with when I did it... ended up grinding the skins through with the pulp and the pulp looked nasty...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Score! :rockwoot:I found a tree and permission to forage. Came home with +/- 5 quarts of persimmons.
    The elderly lady welcomed me back anytime with instructions on the best timing of the day to pick. She was taken back by the "prize winning" half dozen tomatoes I returned with shortly after leaving. ;)

Persimmons are in the fridge. I gotta pick up or order a food mill quickly. Advice on that?

TIA!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    My folks have been using one of these since I was a kid.

img_39741.jpg

JM had an older gentlemen he was doing some work for give him one of these:

FoodMill2.png

both still work well ;)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm leaning towards the OXO (And trying to stir up a Bed, Bath, Beyond coupon.):

71-shF2GDtL._SL1500_.jpg

How long can I leave the fruit in the fridge before processing?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    anybody in indpls east or greenfield area have some persimmons they want to get rid of? I have never had any and would really like to experiment with them.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Folk lore says it should stay in the fridge a few days anyway, since we haven't had a hard frost to ripen them.

I had an almost overly friendly lady "forager" there assisting me, as I had little idea of what I was doing. Her instruction was to only pick up the very ripe ones. All I have are much riper than anything pictured above. All are almost mush to my uneducated eyes, but she said that's what I wanted.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    hmmm... we were just at tuttles a week ago and didn't see anything like that.... I sort of want to just try them... slice them and eat them, juice em.... maybe try my hand at some pudding.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I had an almost overly friendly lady "forager" there assisting me, as I had little idea of what I was doing. Her instruction was to only pick up the very ripe ones. All I have are much riper than anything pictured above. All are almost mush to my uneducated eyes, but she said that's what I wanted.

yup, that's what we pick up as well.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

She is basically right. For native persimmons that don't get as sweet as their asian counterparts, they pretty much have to be just shy of rotten to be good tasting. Mushy is where the best flavor & sweetness is...

IGW: They really aren't a slice & eat or juicing fruit. They are hard to explain but imagine a fruit the size of a golfball with several seeds the size of a flattened pea inside (not going to slice through) with a mushy pulpy flesh that isn't overly juicy (not going to juice very well). I would wager to say that 90+% of the persimmons around here get pulped and used in breads, puddings, ice-creams etc because that's about the limits of the usefulness...

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    She is basically right. For native persimmons that don't get as sweet as their asian counterparts, they pretty much have to be just shy of rotten to be good tasting. Mushy is where the best flavor & sweetness is...

IGW: They really aren't a slice & eat or juicing fruit. They are hard to explain but imagine a fruit the size of a golfball with several seeds the size of a flattened pea inside (not going to slice through) with a mushy pulpy flesh that isn't overly juicy (not going to juice very well). I would wager to say that 90+% of the persimmons around here get pulped and used in breads, puddings, ice-creams etc because that's about the limits of the usefulness...

thanks for the input... what would you speculate their best value at being for a SHTF prep or its place overall on a piece of property with the UTMOST food preparation in mind? Could they be dried and ground up as a sugar substitute? I don't really know as I have never messed with them, but want more information before ordering 5 or so of these trees to add to the property. Do they grow well in mild-moderate wetlands? If so I can put them far enough back to feed the deer, but only utilize them should I actually have a NEED.

Top Bottom