Source for used guns around Greenwood/Indy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Hello guys, I ran across this forum when your classifieds popped up in a Google search.

Its been awhile since I bought a firearm, but I got in a mood for a .308 bolt action. I started poking around and sticker shock hit me hard. I'm not sure if the prices have just gone up that much in the past 8 years or so, or if Indianapolis has higher prices than the small town gun stores I'm used to. Anyway, with the cost of new guns I figured I'd look at used guns. I went to two different pawn shops, and neither carried firearms. Well, technically one carried them but you had to go online to bid on them and couldn't see one in the store.

So, where do you folks around Marion/Johnson county go for a reasonable price on a firearm? Preferably around Greenwood or the south side of Indy, but if I have to drive somewhere I can.

Thanks in advance.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Sorry Jmak, this is not a gun trading forum. It is a gun community that happens to have a classifieds section. He can't jump into that area until you have 50 non-junk posts.

Last edited:

BaseDeltaZero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    South Bend
    There is a unique gun shop called 500 Guns I think just east of the speedway on 16th. It's a interesting shop I found when I was in Indy for a conference.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    The stores already covered are all good choices. In Greenwood can also check Elmore's Firearms, who every so often get in some interesting used rifles.

For the price some of the guys have liked their Savages, myself been shooting a Rem 700 since they were several hundred dollars each (been a few years) or later a Sako.

Basic back gound question is why a 308 (never a bad choice but for some uses possible a different caliber might open up more used choices), you looking for a lighter rifle or a heavy barrel and lastly the use and optics (which can easily cost the same as the rifle?

Welcome aboard.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Indy Trading Post
    Elmores
    Bradis

Bradis got a shiny new Ruger American in .308 in (might not still be there) for under $400. Supposed to be a good entry level bolt action.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    West side has the best local gun shops. Plainfield Shooting Supplies and Bradis Guns

That being said, prices have certainly gone up quite a bit in the last 8 years, just to be warned.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Basic back gound question is why a 308 (never a bad choice but for some uses possible a different caliber might open up more used choices), you looking for a lighter rifle or a heavy barrel and lastly the use and optics (which can easily cost the same as the rifle?

Welcome aboard.

Thanks. Its mostly one of those "just to have" things. I might do a bit of deer hunting in KY with it, but for the most part it's just punching paper or milk jugs at 100-200m.

I figure .308 is pretty readily available and not too expensive, and frankly I don't know much about the various calibers so it seems like an easy all around choice. I mostly do pistol stuff, used to shoot IDPA down around Lexington, KY years ago, and once I found a 1911 I really liked I just haven't bought much in awhile. Couple revolvers in the last few years has been it.

Anyway, along with a nice S&W Model 29, a higher caliber scoped rifle has been on my wish list for quite awhile. Something like a Ruger M77, maybe. I'm kicking around if I want a bolt action or a lever action. So many decisions out there. :laugh:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Every once in awhile I'll see a Handi-Rifle in 308.

I've read good things about them.

Pretty good rifle for less money.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The BEST deals are always buying from friends / acquaintance who need the money...

Start paying attention to who is saying what - you just might get lucky.

That said, there are NUMEROUS gun shops on the "greater" south side.

Braidis in Camby
    Plainfield Shooter Supply in Plainfield
    Ft. Liberty in Avon
    Beech Grove Firearms in Beech Grove
    Honey Creek Tackle in Bargersville
    West Side Pawn & Loan @ 10th & Alton
    Elmore's in Greenwood
    Wanamaker Guns in Wanamaker

And there are probably another 3-4 that I'm forgetting.

-J-

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Columbus, IN
    To be honest, if I had the funds to purchase a firearm currently I would just keep an eye on the classifieds here. Every once in a while a gem for a honest price will show up. I like the fact that you're buying from someone who is more than likely knowledgable about firearms. Also almost every one here has respect for them too so they will be well taken care of, and if theyre not then the seller is quick to point it out.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I moved here from MI in 2006 and was used to large gunstores (even worked in one) with extensive used gun inventory but not down here. I don't know if those in IN just don't sell/trade as much but I haven't seen any store in the Indy area that I would consider as dealing in a lot of used guns. I can't think of any store in the Indy area and I go to them all weekly it seems, that carries a lot of used guns. Bradis might be your best bet or the 1500 but if you're looking for something specific you're probably out of luck.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    I moved here from MI in 2006 and was used to large gunstores (even worked in one) with extensive used gun inventory but not down here. I don't know if those in IN just don't sell/trade as much but I haven't seen any store in the Indy area that I would consider as dealing in a lot of used guns. I can't think of any store in the Indy area and I go to them all weekly it seems, that carries a lot of used guns. Bradis might be your best bet or the 1500 but if you're looking for something specific you're probably out of luck.

Never been to Premier in Brownsburg? They typically have at least twice the amount of used guns over new.

Top Bottom