• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wow. A woman tries to stand up for the same rights that the good ol' boys fight for, and she's "sensitive"? Whatever. Maybe I don't fit in here as well as I thought.

As with any group there will be moments when we are not sure. No worries....stick around and just look through the issues/statements. I do not believe your were soley targeted and even if you were there will be responses to posts made on such a touchy subject.
    I have and will not post my true feelings about this man as I am aware of some things not printed. That said.....He is gone now so RIP NM

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Was Mandela a terrorist? Yes, self admittedly. Did he turn his back on those tactics and denounce them? Yes, he did. After Robin Island he turned his life around and promoted peace and equality. I'd say he made enormous strides in the right direction and did a great deal of good. He stands as a symbol for many people and deserves to be honoured for the good things he did.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This man was a terrorist and I am not the least bit sorry that he is dead.
    You're entitled to your opinion and to express it.
    Out of line. If you can't say something nice….how bout just shutting yer yap?
    Why is it out of line? Contempt for a person is just as valid opinion as praise. You don't have to agree with him.
    He was a communist and lied about it for decades.We know that Obama claims him as a role model and wrote the foreword for his book.
    In his heart, I don't think Mandela was a communist. He was more of a pragmatist, his ideologies were eclectic. His association with communists was, I think, mostly of convenience (enemy of my enemy). But he indeed sympathized with many Marxist ideas, particularly dialectical materialism, classless society, to name a couple. But as a head of state, he wasn't particularly communistic. I admire him for his role in ending apartheid. I do not admire him for his political views or his early life tactics.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    You're entitled to your opinion and to express it. Why is it out of line? Contempt for a person is just as valid opinion as praise. You don't have to agree with him. In his heart, I don't think Mandela was a communist. He was more of a pragmatist, his ideologies were eclectic. His association with communists was, I think, mostly of convenience (enemy of my enemy). But he indeed sympathized with many Marxist ideas, particularly dialectical materialism, classless society, to name a couple. But as a head of state, he wasn't particularly communistic. I admire him for his role in ending apartheid. I do not admire him for his political views or his early life tactics.

I think the timing and location (thread regarding his death) is more the issue here.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Mandela did some big things, that I won't deny... but every news outlet highlighting the word "Peaceful" is participating in some serious history revision.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    Mandela did some big things, that I won't deny... but every news outlet highlighting the word "Peaceful" is participating in some serious history revision.

Between 3-6,000 Indians died on the Trail of Tears, the forced removal of the Indians from the south. This was signed off on by an American president, Andrew Jackson. Many consider him to be one of the greatest of American presidents.

There is plenty of revisionist history to go around.

Go Devil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    You listed terrorist acts from 1983-88? Lol, you do know he was imprisoned for 27 years including that time right?
    Clearly you didn't read thoroughly or follow any of the incidents posted.

And on that note, what can you tell us about his wife's fondness of "Necklacing", or what Nelson stated should happen to the Boer farmers?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    A lot of the Nelson Mandela fans are either not aware or his violent terrorist actions or are simply choosing to ignoring them.

No. I don't idolize the man, but very few people here would have the courage to stand for their convictions in the face of demonstratedly violent and unreasonable state action against them. And very few people ever leave a legacy of peace that is far greater than the actions of their youth.

I respect him for what he accomplished and recognize that like ALL of us, his life was more complicated than can be summed up in a few words. I know for myself I have done things in my past that I am not proud of, and from that shame I have tried to make myself a better person and to make the world around me a better place for everyone. Too few people believe in this.

So it's not ignoring them, but neither am I focusing on them. It was a very crazy, violent time all around and I don't know if I could have done any better if I had been in his shoes. It is very easy to criticize from the comfortable armchair of history.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    A lot of the Nelson Mandela fans are either not aware or his violent terrorist actions or are simply choosing to ignoring them.

Reword that sentence thusly..

A lot of the American revolutionary fans are either not aware or their violent terrorist actions or are simply choosing to ignoring them.
    A lot of the American indian fans are either not aware or their violent terrorist actions or are simply choosing to ignoring them.

Doesn't have the same bite, does it?

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Reword that sentence thusly..

A lot of the American revolutionary fans are either not aware or their violent terrorist actions or are simply choosing to ignoring them.
    A lot of the American indian fans are either not aware or their violent terrorist actions or are simply choosing to ignoring them.

Doesn't have the same bite, does it?

I must have missed reading about our founders and their associates indiscriminately bombing and murdering innocent people.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Sooooo apparently our flag is at half mast at the US Capital.

That should be reserved for the death of a US President, or a national day of mourning like 9/11.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Meh. No craps given.

GRM0156-003F.jpg

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    He was an old man who had been dying for a long time. Did he accomplish good things? Yes, but for the love of God, why are we canonizing him? It happened years ago during a time the whole fricking world was undergoing changes.
    All my other opinions on him I'll keep to myself.

Bob

Top Bottom