• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The historic South Shore rail line that connects Northwest Indiana to Chicago will close indefinitely beginning January 1st, 2016. That is the date in which the U.S. Congress is imposing a massive system upgrade called "Positive Train Control," or PTC. The mandate will cost the locally-run railway a whopping $120,000,000 to implement, far surpassing its $18M annual budget.

The only hope for the train to remain open is for the U.S. Congress to grant the South Shore an "extension" on the deadline of its onerous mandate.

South Shore Line and local leaders react to commuter train closing - Fox 28: South Bend

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I wonder what would happen if the rail line owners said no?

Positive Train Control came about because engineers either were human and made mistakes or were stupid and people died.

Once again the feds sticking their noses in business. At some point everything we do will need approval from Big Mother Government.

And if the South Shore Line says NO will there be enough people standing up for them against the feds? Oh wait, that would be called a revolution and hastily put down, never mind.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Looks like a cure that kills the patient.

South Shore transports 3.5 million or so annually.
    So a lot of people now going to have to worry about cars.
    More road traffic, cause the roads aren't already busy enough.
    And parking, them cars gotta park someplace.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    More likely the legislation was aimed at forcing smaller lines to sell to bigger ones at bargain basement prices?

Always follow the money.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    It said Metra would also close. Metra has about 10 different train lines running into Chicago. I can not see the government shutting down major commuter transports into one of the largest city's in the country.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It said Metra would also close. Metra has about 10 different train lines running into Chicago. I can not see the government shutting down major commuter transports into one of the largest city's in the country.

Well, since they seem interested in death by regulation strangulation. .

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

They wont shut them down. It will just be federalized.
    Do you know why?
    Cause the railroad pension system has a lot of money and they do not pay into social secuirty. The feds need this money to keep ss going. By fedralizing the trains they can take those pensions and issue ious just like ssa has.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Math approach here...

120 Million price tag
    3.5 Million passengers

Thats 35 dollars per ticket to pay for the upgrade in a year....of course this would never happen as ridership would plummet
    How about over 20 years? I mean, surely they could get a long term note on it(IANAB....I am not a businessman...but it seems reasonable). Thats 1.75 per ticket. Much more reasonable. Probably wouldn't lose a single rider.
    10 years? Well, double that 1.75 per ticket....3.50 per ticket. Probably do-able as well. It would hurt those that buy montly and annual passes a lot. even the above one would.

I know I'm ignoring ridership drop on the last one....everyone would kick and scream, but the convenience is what people would have to make the determination of.

I'm calling a couple businesses that didn't plan for it playing the 'if we threaten to inconvenience millions and blame congress, we'll win'. Maybe, but even if they blame congress, the congressman will still get re-elected. They've never let approval ratings get in their way. Might **** 3.5 million people off, but how many are voters for one candidate and ride the south shore.

I love the south shore. Only ridden it twice in my life....but it was a fun day in Chicago when I did.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    They wont shut them down. It will just be federalized.
    Do you know why?
    Cause the railroad pension system has a lot of money and they do not pay into social secuirty. The feds need this money to keep ss going. By fedralizing the trains they can take those pensions and issue ious just like ssa has.

Another possibility...The TSA has worked out well.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    We were at 155.25 in jan of this year. In july it went up to 178.50 and that is when i stopped riding it n drive into city instead. So an $30 hike again wont kill ridership. Metra earlier this year went up by 40%. My ticket was from ec to downtown.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    We were at 155.25 in jan of this year. In july it went up to 178.50 and that is when i stopped riding it n drive into city instead. So an $30 hike again wont kill ridership. Metra earlier this year went up by 40%. My ticket was from ec to downtown.

OK, they are raising rates. Those annual pass prices or monthly?

I think they are bluffing....wonder how much their ridership went down with the last hike?

Top Bottom