South Store CMP M1 Garand (Calling all Garand Nuts)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I'm looking for advice.

I'm leaving for a Florida Vacation tonight and i had planned to pick up an M1 Garand from the CMP store on the trip back since it would only be a short detour. I have a couple questions for those of you who have picked one up this way.

I'm not positive that I am going to purchase one (depends on when i call them prior to coming home, to see if they have many to choose from. I want the experience of Picking one out of many.) So, I have not signed up for any of the CMP affiliated groups. If i would decide to go ahead and stop by to get one. Could i just sign up for one/ pay for one then and there (or even online that same day)?

If i purchase one ( I am wanting a Service Grade) could i walk out and bring it home with me that same day or is there a waiting period?

I was told you have to bring your Birth Certificate? Could i show them my DL and License to Carry Handgun, instead? ( what documents do i need)

What else can you guys tell me that i should know about this process?

Is there a specific company to look for, for better value in the service grade range?

Is going to the actual store worth the 2 hour detour?

I know there are already a couple threads about this, but i wanted all the info specific to my situation in one place. Hopefully I'll be coming back with my first Garand!
    Thanks in advance! :patriot:

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    For the group membership: I do not believe you can sign up for any while at the store. You need to have proof of membership with you when you make the purchase. With some groups you may be able to sign up in the morning and print something off then go to the store, I suppose it depends on the group.

If you purchase one at the store, you walk out with it when you leave, no wait.

You need to have proof of citizenship, so either a passport or birth certificate. A driver's license isn't enough. I believe they accept the LTCH as proof of marksmanship training.

I wouldn't worry too much about which company it's from. Most of them are a combination of different parts from different manufacturers anyways. The name on the receiver probably won't match the one on the barrel, etc. I'd say it's worth the trip. I got mine at Camp Perry just over a year ago and I enjoyed walking through the racks of rifles until I found the one that spoke to me.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I'm looking for advice.

I'm leaving for a Florida Vacation tonight and i had planned to pick up an M1 Garand from the CMP store on the trip back since it would only be a short detour. I have a couple questions for those of you who have picked one up this way.

I'm not positive that I am going to purchase one (depends on when i call them prior to coming home, to see if they have many to choose from. I want the experience of Picking one out of many.) So, I have not signed up for any of the CMP affiliated groups. If i would decide to go ahead and stop by to get one. Could i just sign up for one/ pay for one then and there (or even online that same day)? yes you can join the garand collectors association at the cmp

If i purchase one ( I am wanting a Service Grade) could i walk out and bring it home with me that same day or is there a waiting period? yes if you get approved by the nics background check but you might want to ship it, if you take it with you you have to pay albama sales tax, and its cheaper to ship than pay sales tax

I was told you have to bring your Birth Certificate? YES(it proves us citizenship) Could i show them my DL and License to Carry Handgun,no but you will need both of those(the ltch is proof of marksmanship program) and the drives license for the nics form instead? ( what documents do i need)

What else can you guys tell me that i should know about this process? i have not been myself yet but i have looked at going i would love a cmp garand

Is there a specific company to look for, for better value in the service grade range? the people who work ther are great people, if you ask them, they will help you in picking a great firearm

Is going to the actual store worth the 2 hour detour? i have not been , but i know a few who have, and all of them say yes worth the drive!

I know there are already a couple threads about this, but i wanted all the info specific to my situation in one place. Hopefully I'll be coming back with my first Garand!
    Thanks in advance! :patriot:

good luck!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What shootersix said ^^^ :yesway:

I've only been to the north store, but would love to go down to Anniston sometime. That's their main store I believe.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Shootersix got the requirements right. If things are like at the North Store the pickings are pretty thin right now. I would go and see what they have. WHen you get there talk to the guys at the counter about helping you pick a good one. They know what is on the shelves. There were some Winchesters that showed up recently. The North Store was sold out of them the last I read. They still had some HRAs Service Grade Specials . The Kimber .22s are getting to the bottom of the barrel but are still a great value. This may be your last chance to get one from CMP. Don't forget to buy lots of ammo while there.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    one more thing, for the 3years after they do your nics background check, if you want another garand(up to the max you can purchase, i think its 3 over 3years) all you have to do is call them, and they will ship direct to your door. after 3 years you have to drive back and redo the 4473

as for them running low, i hear that they have quite a few in the back, for the phone orders.

a few years ago they had a bunch of carbines come up for sale, i know a couple of guys who drove all night to be there when they opened up, so they had pick of the litter!

good luck, and since your in my neck of the woods, maybe you'd let me shoot that garand sometime!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I emailed their customer service about a week ago and this is what they said back:
    "There may be a limited quantity of Winchester Service grade rifles available in the store, but there are no other Service grade rifles available in the store at this time."

Thank you,

CMP Customer Service

so i figured i will just call them a day before we leave since it won't be untill August 6th to make sure that they still have some available. ( I'm not sure what "limited quantity" means to them)

I'll keep you all posted.

One more thing. If i do go ahead with it, which cmp affiliated organization should i join that will be well benefited from?​

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Garand Collector's Association is pretty cheap and will provide a wealth of information on your new toy.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Your best bet is to down load all the forms from the CMP and fill them out before you leave, this way you can make sure you have all the papers they want and need. You can sign up at the store for the Garand collectors ass.
    I've never been to the south store but I did buy one from the north store. It's up to you but you could bring it home, I brought mine home from Ohio.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Garand Collector's Association is pretty cheap and will provide a wealth of information on your new toy.

You can also join the GCG online and they have a box you check if you want them to automatically notify the CMP that you joined. That's what I've done. Plus, you get 4 cool magazines per year with neat articles about the history of the rifle, etc..

http://www.thegca.org/

Top Bottom