• ...and so much more!
  • Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    Fellow members
    I am researching the loss of my cousin (I don't think I ever met) in South Vietnam March 22 1968. I am early in the search and have found he was killed in Phong Dinn Province. I am unable to find a map that shows Phong Dinn Province. I was only 10 years old when he was killed but I can vividly recall the nite my aunt called to tell us.

I know going back in time and changing history is denounced by almost all. But, if I could I think I would change whatever got us into that mess. I have the benefit of hindsight though. The horrible devastation to humanity on all sides. Innocent victims. The service men and women scarred for life physically and emotionally. For what? I guess I got off track.

I understand the theory not to change anything in history due to unintended consequences. I do know the consequence (fact not theory) of not getting into South Vietnam would be saving 58000 service men and women's lives and 10s of thousands of maimed physically and emotionally veterans. How about the innocent South Vietnamese people. Not to mention the turmoil it caused here in the US.
    Morgan88

Last edited:

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Butterfly effect. You can't go back and change even the smallest things because you don't know how that can change the future. The world as we know it could be much much worse or even gone.

Hope you find your answers.

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    forgot to note that you can ask a 1000 "experts" on whether or not the domino effect was either real or worthwhile and you'll get about 1300 different answers

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    What was his name? On March 22, 1968 there were 43 casualties in South Vietnam. Mostly in the Binh Dinh, Kontum, and Quang Tri provinces. The province you are most likely looking for is Phong Dinh - look up Operation Coronado XI...it was running at about that time. Good luck.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    As a young soldier in the early sixties, one of the things we were told was that future conflicts were likely to be "brushfire wars". At the time, we were in Viet Nam but not the kind of presence created by LBJ after the farce called the Tonkin Incident. By the time we had a major commitment there I was a civilian. I'll never forget a day in 1967 when a woman came to where I worked (loan company) with an infant. Her husband had just been KIA over there.

I never thought we should have been in that war beyond giving them weapons. When Nixon got in with his BS about ending the war I tried to believe him. It was sad that he didn't take the opportunity to stop the bleeding (literally) and get us out of there instead of letting it drag on with BS meetings with the enemy.

My other thought in those days was that, if we were going to be in it, level Hanoi and other enemy areas. Total war or stay out. I think the Chinese would have blinked too.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    @OP - good luck in you search. Have you tried the military archives? They have some good support for people doing genealogical searches.

@spec4 and others who've posted - thank you for your service.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Morgan, the best way to gain details of your cousins death is to find the unit he was part of and then seek out former members who would have served with him. That unit will probably have an internet presence of some kind.
    As for changing history...why? Changing history is not going to change base traits like greed and will to power. Killing Hitler in WW1 isn't going to change the horrible terms of the Treaty of Versailles that led directly to Germany's actions later on. There would have been a different leader, maybe one that wasn't the meddlesome idiot Hitler thankfully was. As it was they came too close to winning the European war.

Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    Too all
    I do recall the slow gradual infusion into South Vietnam was on the heels of the Cuban Missile Crisis. Being at the top and responsible for the safety and security of the entire US is heavy. I want to believe they had the best of intentions and had no idea it would turn into what it did. I understand the sketchy stuff (Gulf of Tonkin incident) that went on. Not sure if it will benefit me to delve into that.
    My cousin Ken was in a weather unit stationed in Phong Dinn Province. Ken was scheduled to go home for a 30 day furlough on March 25th 1968. Ken had signed up for a 2nd tour. His weather station was just underneath a control tower. On March 21st evening he had finished his shift but his replacement didn't feel good due to too much R&R so Ken stayed on and took his night shift. In the early morning hours of March 22nd the were hit with either mortars or 75mm recoiless (sp) artillery and Ken was lost. I won't say he shouldn't have been there.

I think the reason this is coming so personal to me is I am planning a trip to Washington the Vietnam Memorial Wall. I am concerned/afraid on how it will affect me.

Morgan88

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    A little information. It would appear that your cousin was KIA'd during Operation Coronado which ran, as a set of 11 numbered operations, from June 1967 to July 1968. Coronado XI ended on early March 1968, but since July '68 is the date listed as the operations ending point, I can only assume that soldier KIA'd in the area in the short thereafter were include in the causality lists. Coronado XI was hallmarked by lots or riverboat activity (Mekong Delta area). Phong Dinh/Phong Dien is located in at the furthest tip of South Vietnam it is actually a district in the Can Tho Province, which might explain why you were having trouble locating it. You can find a few videos of the areas it is now, and few from the war period. Apparently both the Army and Marines were active in the area, with the Army conducting air can ops out of the area (7th Cav). Anyways, I gave you a starting point, I hope that helps. If BunnyKid was still around, I'm sure he could send you in the right direction, but I haven't seen him 'round here in a while.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cần_Thơ

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I hope you're not trying to make sense of any war. There's very few wars you can come up with answers to and feel good about. Making sense and looking for a reason for anyone's death in war gets you some cliches.
    This is the third time I've written out some things for you that I've deleted.
    IF you want to know about your cousin then ask other relatives that knew and loved him before that part of his life. That's the way they should be remembered.
    He served his country. Sometimes it's not easy.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Look your Cousin up here; Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall - The Virtual Wall (TM). This will give you his unit and some History in Country. I have 3 good friends that reside on the Wall. For a look at escalation in Vietnam read the Book the First Battle Operation Starlite and the begining of tbe Blood Debt in Vietnam. Im Honored to call one of the Survivors of that Battle my friend. He was with Hotel Company 2/4 Marines, 17 years old, Not supposed to be in Combat! WIA and mentioned 3 times in tbe Book.
    For All you Vietnam Vets reading this WELCOME HOME!!!!!!!

Top Bottom