• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chris387

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Just south of Indy
    My family and I are discussing a 4-5 day camping vacation this summer. We're looking for a place that's not too close to home, but not too far away either. What are some good state parks in Southern Indiana/Kentucky for family camping trip with biking, hiking trails, fishing, boating. Anyone have any favorite places to go?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Check out Spring Mill Park near Mitchell. It's not real big, but I see campers coming and going in/out of there all season long.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    O'bannon Woods is really nice but no pool that I know of. We always hung out at Hardy Lake, Spring Mill, or McCormicks Creek....can't go wrong with either of those.

As for Illinois...if it was on fire, and I had a glass of water....I'd drink it.

whackmaster66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Starve Hollow just past Brownstown has all that u want ( hiking,biking,camping,fishing).. they also have an 150+ acre lake with a beach for the kiddos... Check it out. We go every yr. My family and friends love it...

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    In addition to the one's listed, you might consider either Turkey Run State Park or Racoon State Park near Rockville. I grew up camping at/near both and they are. Cataract also seems like a nice place, but I've never stayed there.

Chris387

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Just south of Indy
    We've actually been to Turkey Run and Raccoon Lake several dozen times. We went last year during a bad storm. I don't know how fast the winds were, but before I abandoned my tent, I spent a fair amount of time lying in there with my hands up trying to keep the roof of my tent from coming down on my face.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    O'Bannon State Park near Corydon is nice. We have been there several times and it is an under used state park. We have been the only campers in a section a few times in the middle of the summer. There is a nice pool that gets a lot of use. The park borders the Ohio river with some good views. Corydon is a neat town with some history. In KY Fort Knox is not very far away, but the Armor museum has been moved. The town of Leavenworth is also close with some good views of the Ohio River.

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    For southern Indiana i would suggest Spring Mill for hiking, biking and camping...not so much for fishing or boating. They have a small lake with john boat rentals, but the lake is filled in pretty bad. The best thing about Spring Mill is its hiking, caves and a awesome Historical Village. Patoka is probably the best boating and fishing spot. This link may help. DNR: Parks & Reservoirs

Top Bottom