• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    As humans, being able to connect with other humans is part of our nature.

I admire people who can connect with the humanity in people who are otherwise shunned by society. I admire people who can forgive those who have caused devastating harm. I admire people who look beyond the superficial to that deeper human connection.

I admire them, because those are things that I struggle with myself. Forgiveness of a perpetrator, and by extension forgiveness of and connection with the perpetrator's family, is something that I respect, while only minimally understanding it.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    The shooter is pondscum, and the real tragedy is what the Allan family is now enduring thanks to this pondscum.
    The only tragedy that will follow this is that more than likely, said pondscum will evade the capital punishment he so rightly deserved.
    Even if he were to get sentenced to what he deserves, he won't ride the lightning, as he would have done thirty years ago.
    I'm hopeful that will not happen.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I think that I was clear that the penaltiec connected with the crime should not be taken away.

I see a very flawed person in that picture, as I do when I look in the mirror.

I am responsible for my own actions and will reap the penalty in my flesh, as should he.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Did the other officer at the scene not have time to approach the car while the shooting was taking place? I know it doesn't take much time to shoot 10 rounds, but then there was a pause and then some more shots. It seems like the shooter should have gotten the death penalty immediately at the scene while he still had the gun in his hand.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Did the other officer at the scene not have time to approach the car while the shooting was taking place? I know it doesn't take much time to shoot 10 rounds, but then there was a pause and then some more shots. It seems like the shooter should have gotten the death penalty immediately at the scene while he still had the gun in his hand.
    Based on publicly available information, it sounds like Lt. Allan was the first on the scene, had time to get to the rear of the car and check on the passenger, then was actually crawling in the car or almost in it, when Tatboy emptied his clip. Lt. Allan was apparently crawling away, as he was being shot. The second (and maybe third) officer on the scene returned fire, but given the awkward angle, was unable to deliver a fatal wound before Tatboy's gun was empty and he was no longer a threat.

Shooting after the threat is removed is, while sometimes morally defensible, against department policy and the law.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Haven't bothered to read all 29 pages. Is there something more buried in there than what is in the news? Sounds like it could be a case of intentional cop killing, an accident due to misidentification/TBI, or even a misidentified shooter. Hoping investigators are scrupulous and honorable in seeking the truth.

Shooting after the threat is removed is, while sometimes morally defensible, against department policy and the law.

Technically true, but only in the case that ones defense is "I am an amoral monster who has abandoned his humanity."

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Sounds like it could be a case of a misidentified shooter. Hoping investigators are scrupulous and honorable in seeking the truth.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you posted but how is this even a remote possibility? There were initially two people in the vehicle when it crashed. One of them got out, the other stayed in. When LT Allen went into the vehicle to assist the remaining occupant that occupant murdered him. The remaining occupant was then shot by other officers on scene and subsequently removed from the vehicle.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    You seem to understand my post. When I first heard about this it was unclear whether there were one or two people in the car when the shooting occurred. There was some speculation that the shooter might have been misidentified. If it is certain that only one person was in the car at the time of the shooting and that the deceased was shot from inside the car that does remove the possibility of shooter misidentification.

The whole thing is very odd, as there doesn't seem to be a good reason to shoot a cop in the circumstances. Thus my question about additional evidence. If, say, they popped the trunk and found ten kilos of heroin that might cast a different light on things.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    As humans, being able to connect with other humans is part of our nature.

I admire people who can connect with the humanity in people who are otherwise shunned by society. I admire people who can forgive those who have caused devastating harm. I admire people who look beyond the superficial to that deeper human connection.

I admire them, because those are things that I struggle with myself. Forgiveness of a perpetrator, and by extension forgiveness of and connection with the perpetrator's family, is something that I respect, while only minimally understanding it.

While his wife didn't say she forgave, she did say this

There is no room in my heart for anger or hate, only peace knowing Aaron died doing what he loved.

Family of slain Southport police Lt. Allan issues statement | WISH-TV

If his wife can say she holds no anger, well.........

While I have no sympathy for the shooter or what he may be going through. I do have sympathy for his family. I watched my parents go through many horrible things with my younger brother before he ended up in prison for 10 years. Not because they didn't raise him and teach him right, but because he chose the wrong path.
    I don't know the shooter, I don't know his family, I don't know how he was raised. until I learn something that isn't out there, I will have sympathy for his family.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You seem to understand my post. When I first heard about this it was unclear whether there were one or two people in the car when the shooting occurred. There was some speculation that the shooter might have been misidentified. If it is certain that only one person was in the car at the time of the shooting and that the deceased was shot from inside the car that does remove the possibility of shooter misidentification.

The whole thing is very odd, as there doesn't seem to be a good reason to shoot a cop in the circumstances. Thus my question about additional evidence. If, say, they popped the trunk and found ten kilos of heroin that might cast a different light on things.

The thing about criminals and addicts is they don't think like people who aren't criminals and addicts. It's a mistake to assume they do.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    What was the cause for the wreck?

All I know, is what was reported, on the news .....

The driver, was traveling south on Madison Ave., at a high rate of speed .....

Weaving in and out of traffic ..... passing cars, on the left, and right .....

Hit the median, flipped the car, it rolled through a fence, and was upside down,

in someones front yard .....

Top Bottom