• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I went shooting today with a buddy who has a new Ruger 22/44 LITE and Sparrow suppressor. We shot it with the suppressor and couldn't get the pistol sighted in, even after adjusting the rear sight to the stop to the left. It shot several inches right and didn't group well. We were shooting at about 25 yards. After shooting about 30 shots or so, we finally removed the can. The Ruger then shot consistent 1" two shot groups and we were able to sight in the pistol. My buddy cleaned the can and the pistol before we started shooting today (remember both were new in the box). Since we both are new to suppressors, we can't figure out what would cause the Sparrow to create this problem, nor how to rectify it. We guessed that the bullet is contacting the can at some point. Would this be a problem with the threads on the Ruger or a problem with the Sparrow? As the Ruger is exceptionally accurate without the can, should the Sparrow be sent back for repair?

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    One thing I noticed with my Guardian is that the "clips" in the center of the baffles needed to be offset. If they are all in the same line then the poi is off. I put them in a 12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock fashion and the guns shoot the same as when the suppressor is off of it. Not knowing the baffle stack in the Sparrow this may be the same. Especially if he cleaned it before shooting.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Sounds like there is a baffle strike. I am not familiar with that particular suppressor, is it able to be dissembled?

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Yes, it can be disassembled.

Look for any scuffs or light "kisses" on the baffles.

A buddy has a Coastal Arms 30 cal can. We took it out with his Remington 700 AAC rifle. Without the can it was dead on. Put the can on we were getting misses. It was hitting about 3 feet low and 4 foot to the right. Took the can off, it was dead on.

Came back to my house and too the can apart. We could see light kisses on the baffles where the bullet was hitting.

Long story short, the shoulder on the rifle was not clean and straight, leading to the can being canted.

Coastal had seen it before and had him send it in so they could relief the end cap so it would reflex over the end of the barrel.

I'm in Borden, you guys are welcome to come to my house and we can try my jail broke AAC Eco 9 can that I use on my 22's to see if it's the can or the gun.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    One thing I noticed with my Guardian is that the "clips" in the center of the baffles needed to be offset. If they are all in the same line then the poi is off. I put them in a 12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock fashion and the guns shoot the same as when the suppressor is off of it. Not knowing the baffle stack in the Sparrow this may be the same. Especially if he cleaned it before shooting.

^This^

Disassemble and check the baffle stack alignment before you do anything drastic. It may not have gotten the proper orientation at the factory for whatever reason. If that doesn't solve your problem, next problem area may be something to do with the threading, call customer service at the suppressor manufacturer and see if they have any advice.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Thanks for all the info. I called my buddy and he will check the baffles for a strike. He said he will probably call the company and explain the problem, as well. Dog1, thanks for the invite. I'll let my buddy know. The baffles on the Sparrow are one piece, so they can't be misaligned, as far as I know.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Thanks for all the info. I called my buddy and he will check the baffles for a strike. He said he will probably call the company and explain the problem, as well. Dog1, thanks for the invite. I'll let my buddy know. The baffles on the Sparrow are one piece, so they can't be misaligned, as far as I know.

Not a problem, if I can help let me know.

It sounds as though the mating surfaces are not true. Either the can or the barrel or a combo of both.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Not a problem, if I can help let me know.

It sounds as though the mating surfaces are not true. Either the can or the barrel or a combo of both.
    I suppose if he tries the can with a different host and it shoots ok, then it would be the gun. I'll let him know. I think we have another buddy with a Ruger with a threaded barrel.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Did you take off the pistol's wavy washer before mounting the can?

I had to open up the bore a touch on my form 1 can after my Ruger Lite had an end cap strike. It was fine on my Kidd barrelled 10/22. I think the Ruger isn't as square and concentric.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Did you take off the pistol's wavy washer before mounting the can?

I had to open up the bore a touch on my form 1 can after my Ruger Lite had an end cap strike. It was fine on my Kidd barrelled 10/22. I think the Ruger isn't as square and concentric.
    Actually, my buddy left the wavy washer on before he screwed the suppressor on. Could that have been the problem?

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I've not heard anything about whether to use the wavey/spring washer or not.
    I have been using it on the Ruger with no problems.
    Rookie I could not get your link to open, but it may be my computer?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've not heard anything about whether to use the wavey/spring washer or not.
    I have been using it on the Ruger with no problems.
    Rookie I could not get your link to open, but it may be my computer?
    I couldn't get the link to open either. I did pass along the info about not using the wavey washer on the Ruger 22/45 LITE. That would be one thing easily eliminated from the equation. I did see another place online that someone had trouble using the wavey washer with a Ruger and Sparrow.

Last edited:

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I Googled and found the info linked above.
    It's Ruger saying do not use the wavey washer with a suppressor.
    Obviously I need to sit down and read my owners manual.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Sorry, I should have said make sure you don't use the wavy washer. It may not throw it off much but...

Top Bottom