• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Longrun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Avon, In
    Looking to see if anyone knows a good source to confirm value and possible history of my Spencer repeater carbine M1865. Any help is appriciated. Located in Indy area.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    There are some online sources of serial number information, but you usually have to pay for them, and they are hit-or-miss, since the SN registry is incomplete.

As far as value, it's whatever someone is willing to pay. Is it original Spencer (6 rifling grooves/lands) or a Burnside contract (3 grooves/lands)? Original long blade ejector, short blade or Lane? Wood and metal condition? Since it is an 1865, chances are good that it missed out on the CW. Possibly used out west against natives. Check gunbroker for current possible prices - there are usually 3 pages of Spencer-related material.

Longrun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Avon, In
    Thanks, six groove, light brown pitina and nice orig wood finish with typical wood dents, have been looking on line and will continue, just haven't found info needed so far.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Looking to see if anyone knows a good source to confirm value and possible history of my Spencer repeater carbine M1865. Any help is appriciated. Located in Indy area.
    Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Arms is my favorite resource book, lots of info, I have an old copy. But it seems as though Spencer rifle has alot more actual knowledge...Good luck, PM if you want

Last edited:
    Top Bottom