• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    I've got a Colt LT6720R I picked up a couple of weeks ago and finally had time to get out and put some rounds downrange. Since it was mid-week I thought I'd give Wilbur Wright a try since they have a 50yd range instead of going closer and indoors.

It took me about an hour to drive out from Westfield and the wind was beginning to pick up quite a bit. By the time I go there at 10am the flags were pretty much straight out so I wasn't expecting too much in the way of accuracy. Fortunately, at the range itself it wasn't blowing quite that bad but it was still pretty windy. Upon arrival there was only one shooter on the rifle range and about 3 or 4 on the pistol side with the on duty RO (Kenny) picking up brass.

Not much to report as far as the gun goes as I really went to get it sighted in and become familiar with it. I started off on paper as I'd already boresighted things prior to heading out. With the wind I did still manage to get things pretty close, including the MBUS, RDS and a 3-9X40 scope. The MBUS and RDS are close and set for 50 yards. I am planning on setting the scope to 100 yards and use the ballistic plex reticle to manage the longer distances. Between sighting in and shooting off hand I managed to put 140 rounds downrange so it was a pretty enjoyable day all told.

By the time I left all of the benches were full as was the pistol range. I chatted with the RO before leaving and he indicated that this was the busiest Wednesday he'd seen in quite some time. As noted in other posts the way the hot/cold range gets handled is pretty weak so I made sure everyone knew the range was cold before I'd head out to change targets. Same goes for announcing that the range was hot before shooting just so there wasn't any confusion. I'm certainly willing to go back again when it's less windy and give it another try.

Finally, the RO said they'd like to get the 100yd range opened again but that it needs to have some dozer work done and the berm raised to address the concern/complaint of bullets leaving the range. He felt it wasn't an issue with the range proper but that the situation came about because of hunting. It would be great if they could get the 100 opened but I didn't get the impression it was going to be any time soon.

Oh, I kept asking folks if they were on INGO and got a lot of blank stares. :):

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Great to hear! I am a fan of Wilbur Wright, too.

Some days you just have to be extra cautious if everyone is not watching the line signals very well...

oldschoolevo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    ANDERSON
    ya wilbur wright isnt a bad place. ive been several times. the only thing ive seen is make sure you let it known hot or cold,i have came across a couple guys that didnt realy call it out. im all for safety.

drygulchstan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    It must have been 35 or more years since I was there. It wasn't much of a range back than. but alot has changed since than.

Top Bottom