• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sheppsan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Would be interested to hear opinions of a good spotting scope for the range--100 yds. Would like a decent quality but not one that would cost an arm and a leg. Appreciate any input

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Arm and a leg is a pretty loose term. We need some numeric value to go off of because what Donald trump considers a arm and a leg, and what I do are different, and we don't know what end of the spectrum your on.

Sheppsan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Thanks for the input. If I wanted to go with a Vortex from you, which would you recommend for a 100yd range?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Vortex doesnt make one in your price range. Vortex starts at 400 bucks.

The Konus I mentioned above is a great option, even though I don't sell it. Ill catch up with you next time bud.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    I'm happy as can be with a Barska 20 x 60 spotting scope. What I did not know I needed, as this was my first spotting scope, is a angled viewing port. I get along fine with the straight look through... I have come to find that my next will have the angled view port...It is easier and faster.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'm happy as can be with a Barska 20 x 60 spotting scope. What I did not know I needed, as this was my first spotting scope, is a angled viewing port. I get along fine with the straight look through... I have come to find that my next will have the angled view port...It is easier and faster.

How many spotting scopes have you spent a lot of time behind?

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    How many spotting scopes have you spent a lot of time behind?

When I was looking to purchase my first spotting scope, I did some comparison shopping.
    I'm not trying to take anything away from you or your scopes or your suggestion to the OP. What I have learned, and what works for me you can find in my post.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    When I was looking to purchase my first spotting scope, I did some comparison shopping.
    I'm not trying to take anything away from you or your scopes or your suggestion to the OP. What I have learned, and what works for me you can find in my post.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, and the scope I recommended is not my scope. I'm trying to get a idea of your experience level so the OP can decide how much weight to put on your recommendation. The problem with internet recommendation's is the person giving the recommendation may have only used 1 item (spotting scope in this case) and not have much experience with other products on the market.

I'm the worlds worst mechanic, but I can get online and say "x is a great alternator", but that doesn't mean I'm correct.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    I'm not trying to be argumentative, and the scope I recommended is not my scope. I'm trying to get a idea of your experience level so the OP can decide how much weight to put on your recommendation. The problem with internet recommendation's is the person giving the recommendation may have only used 1 item (spotting scope in this case) and not have much experience with other products on the market.

I'm the worlds worst mechanic, but I can get online and say "x is a great alternator", but that doesn't mean I'm correct.

No worries. Sometimes tone is difficult online. I too, was not looking to argue. My experience with the Barska I bought is that the glass is clear out to 100 yards, meaning I can see with great clarity my hits on target as if I was standing directly in front of the target about 1 foot away. It came with a stable tripod base and nice case to keep it clean. It is the Colorado version. I undervalued the comfort of the angled eyepiece and see it as a minor inconvenience not to have.

Oldbird13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    Hamilton County,IN
    Look at the Alpen 20-60x80. You may be able to find one with a tripod and case for around $350. This scope received great reviews from testing a few years ago by a well respected Birding group. I own one and it does a good job at 100 yds. I may have a Vortex scope I would be willing to part with for $330. It was also well rated but no longer made. It is in great condition, it was their Stokes Birding Series "Sandpiper" 15-45x65mm. spotting angled eyepiece. I would be interested at what Alan has to say about it. Thanks, Craig

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Look at the Alpen 20-60x80. You may be able to find one with a tripod and case for around $350. This scope received great reviews from testing a few years ago by a well respected Birding group. I own one and it does a good job at 100 yds. I may have a Vortex scope I would be willing to part with for $330. It was also well rated but no longer made. It is in great condition, it was their Stokes Birding Series "Sandpiper" 15-45x65mm. spotting angled eyepiece. I would be interested at what Alan has to say about it. Thanks, Craig

I've never spent any time behind the Alpen that your referring to. I looked at them once at a trade show, but looking at spotting scopes inside is about as worthless as it gets. The sandpiper series was a good spotter, but kind of bulky. I would personally take the Konus over the sandpiper

@ SCUBA, I'm like you, and don't care for a straight eye piece. If I'm sitting at a bench they are fine, but anywhere else I think they lack the versatility of the angled version.

For the OP's price range and purpose of everything I've ever looked at (most of them) this is the answer. If he was hunting he would be talking about something else as these are rather large, but for target shooting its a absolute home run.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/46...pod-photo-adapter-and-soft-case-armored-green

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I was spotting for a friend down at Friendship. It seemed a number of the guys were using Konus with good success at 500 yards. Less than $300 when on sale.

Top Bottom