• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepCrasher

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    My next purchase is a spotting scope for when we're shootng longer distances of course. I'm lookingto spend $350-$400 for something. I'm ok with used as long as good condition but I don't know which one I need. Of course I want to see 308 holes in paper at 1000 yards but I'm also realistic. Like any scope at full zoom clarity and mirage become an issue so big number magnification becomes useless without clarity. Does anyone have recommendations on brand, magnification with clarity for the farthest distance possible in my price range.

Thanks for the input

Later

Crasher

Oldbird13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    Hamilton County,IN
    Take a look at the Alpen 20-60x80. I bought that before I invested in Pentax with high end eyepieces, used at that time for Birdwatching. I now use the Alpen at the range. It comes with case, and small tripod. It was highly rated/scored in an evaluation of high end scopes for Birdwatching and this scope was deemed an excellent value. I spent a lot more on my Pentax and its eyepieces but still think the Alpen is a very good scope for the money.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It would take a mighty fine scope and perfect lighting conditions with no sun/heat mirage to see .30 holes at 1000. I have never seen anything close to that. I have looked through $1500 spotting scopes and never seen holes even at at 300 yards. If the sun heats the ground the mirage from evaporation cancels that ability. Sometimes if the sun is behind the target and the hole is clean you may see a flash of light.

More power makes things bigger, not always more clear.

For quality and durability, The KOWA brand has served the highpower community very well. The diameter of the front lens is the key to light gathering. The smallest KOWA I was happy with was 66mm. The 77mm was clearly brighter.

Last edited:

brandonq2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Montgomery county
    I have looked through $1500 spotting scopes and never seen holes even at at 300 yards.

I agree with everything you said until this point. I call my own shots at 331 yards using only my rifle scope, and it's a whole lot less than $1500.

I have nothing productive to add to the OP's question, my only experience with spotting scopes is limited to my $80 Simmons and a friend's Vortex Razor.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom