Springfield 2 piece guide rod coming loose.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    As the title states..I took my Springfield Armory Loaded along with a few other guns shooting the other day. The Springfield functioned flawlessly with no jamming or failure to fire including the Horandy +P JHP I used. However the 2 piece guide rod was coming noticeably loose to where I had to re tighten it in between shooting. My question is am I not tightening it down enough? I stop when I start to feel resistance against the rod but should I give another good turn after I feel it tightening up? Or is it a flaw with the 2 piece system itself?

Also If anyone cares to know the mags used were Wilson Combat 47D and Chip McCmormick 8 rounders.

P.S: here's a pic cuz I know someone will say something about pics....:D

179230_10151762645475596_1292440225_n.jpg

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    The 2 piece guide rod is one of only a few reasons I chose a Colt XSE over the Springfield Loaded.

I know it can be switched out but the less I have to do to a pistol out of the box the better in my opinion.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I've got the same guide rod but in stainless steel. I've had it come loose & will one day get around to replacing it with your basic 1911 guide rod.
    That said, after tightening it up more than I did initially it has been good for 200 + rounds (or whatever I fire between cleanings) without coming loose.
    If you wish to keep it I'd call Springfield and ask them to give you a torque spec to go by (which should have been in the manual in the first place, you get a strong impression that some manufacturers don't care much about manuals beyond the legal stuff).

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Take the POS out and use a regular USGI type. :twocents:

this.

had the same issue with my Loaded. Swapped to the GI setup and never looked back. For the most part, the FLGR is a solution to a non-existent problem. sure there might be a handful of expert shooters who can tell the difference, but for 99% of people, the GI works just fine.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Ditto with my Loaded Springfield GM. Got tired of having to remember to take a hex key along on every range trip. I found that I had a stainless GI-type guide and plug in my parts box, swapped them out and did a side-by-side comparison on my next range visit.

No discernable change in group sizes and functioning was still 100%. Two-piece rod and its plug now residing in the parts box, in case of dire emergency.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I switch back and forth between the Springfield 2 piece and a GI in my Springfield TRP. I just CRANK it down and have never had an issue with it. However, I must admit, If I ever remember to buy a closed recoil spring plug, I will switch to the GI guide rod forever. I just don't like that the open plug (for the 2 piece) is wide open with the GI guide rod.

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Get rid of the FLGR and go with the standard GI plug. That's how the gun was designed to function. Any benefits that having the FLGR provides will be lost on almost all shooters, with the exception of people like Rob Leatham.

WOW. Should have paid attention to the freaking time stamp.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom