• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    My wife really likes her EMP 9mm but wanted a few enhancements (beyond the 10-8 trigger and Gunsite safety which sjstill installed) to accomodate her small hands. She is petite at 5' 100 lbs and while the EMP is the handgun that has fit her the best, she thought it could be improved.

Our gunsmith is Ray Saltzman of Saltzman Gunworks, Inc. and he did a marvelous job. Here is what he did:

Carry bevel (especially the bottom edges of the slide which were quite sharp)
    High cut front strap
    Replace ILS MSH with Ed Brown unit, serrate and round off
    Serrate front strap
    Contour grip safety to accomodate small hands
    Install 10-8 rear sight
    Shorten already installed 10-8 trigger by .10" and tune trigger
    Tune extractor and replacement extractor
    Install EGW oversized firing pin stop (the extractor was clocking with OE fp stop)
    Fit Wilson Bullet Proof magazine release
    Replace torx grip scews with the flat head variety

The frame was refinished with Robar's NP3 and the slide was treated with Ionbond. Note that the slide stop was supposed to go to Robar was went to Ionbond by mistake. Ray will rectify that the next time he sends an order to Robar.

The only thing left is for my wife to select new stocks after I present the pistol to her on her birthday in a few weeks.

By the way, this pistol shoots like a dream. It's that good.
    EMP1.jpg

EMP2.jpg

EMP10.jpg

EMP4.jpg

EMP5.jpg

EMP6.jpg

EMP7.jpg

EMP8.jpg

EMP9.jpg

EMP10.jpg

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I think your wife is going to be very happy with her "new" handgun. That is a really sweet gun. You might consider leaving the slide stop black with the iron bond it looks good that way, but hey that is just my opinion. Congrats.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    Very nice work. Would I be out of line in asking what the tab for the upgrades was?

Your question is not out of line. Actually, the 'smithing was not expensive at all. The refinishing was the most expensive part.

I purchased the pistol used-but-never-fired (with all three mags, box, paperwork, extra bits and the plastic holster and magazine that Springfield includes with these things) for $800ish. The 'smithing and refinishing brought the price more in line with retail for a new in box EMP. New, they run $1,200 to $1300.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've never owned a 1911, but I've always loved the look of the EMP's. What's turned me off is the $1000 price tag. That's a little more than I can comfortably afford.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thats a sharp pistol and i love the upgrades, also love the fact that you can buy your wife a gun that she would appreciate. My old lady would probably send me walking if I cam home with that for her. If its not purses or jewelry its not acceptable lol.

RDB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Avon
    Very nice indeed! I notice that it has a flush mag and they don't come that way, did your 'smith do that or they came with the gun.

RDB

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    Thanks for all the kind words.

Indy Guy 77, I have the Horned Lizard grips on one of my 1911 pistols and they are my favorite grips. I would choose them for the EMP too. However, this is my wife's pistol and her choice. She may very well choose the Lizard grips because she likes the ones on my pistol but she's also been looking at a couple of custom grip makers who use wood. We'll just have to wait and see...

RDB,

Yes, the EMP mags come as 9 round extended mags. The flush fit (eight round) magazine conversion was not done by Ray but instead by a gunsmith who's screen name on the 1911 Forum is Logman. The price was very reasonable and his turn around time was less than a week, including shipping.

RDB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Avon
    Well hey, faulty this is log man. :laugh: small internet. When I saw that, I thought it looked like one of mine. I've now done 60 for 1911 forums members. I'm sure it would be more if it where more known. Amazing that SA doesn't offer it, someday maybe. Nice job on the rest of that great shooter!

RDB (log man in disguise) :)

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    Well hey, faulty this is log man. :laugh: small internet. When I saw that, I thought it looked like one of mine. I've now done 60 for 1911 forums members. I'm sure it would be more if it where more known. Amazing that SA doesn't offer it, someday maybe. Nice job on the rest of that great shooter!

RDB (log man in disguise) :)

That is too funny. Now our secret identities have been compromised... what will we do?

As I metioned above, you did an excellent job on the eight round conversion. It still baffles me that Springfield hasn't caught on to this yet.

Top Bottom