• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I'm looking for some opinions from members that have actual hands on experience with the Springfield Range Officer 1911. I've come across some not so good opinions while doing some internet research. Mostly complaining about accuracy issues and a less than desirable trigger.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have 1 now and have owned several. They are great out of the box and a solid platform for any mods both minor and major you may want to do as time moves on.

Yes. Just yes.

Accuracy is in the guy holding the gun. I have never had issues with the RO as to accuracy.

The triggers are standard MIM SA offerings. If you want a stellar trigger out of the box those guns cost a hell of a lot more than the RO does. After a thousand rounds the triggers work in as the parts Marry up like most MIM offerings.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This started life as a NIB RO. After maybe 10 different iterations we are here now and the slide is at AllenM's getting more weight taken off of it as I type. I will most likely be buried with this one as it serves no real purpose past being a test bed for how much you can do to a RO and it fills no real niche other than it runs flat and true. Recoils like a sissy 9mm 1911 and is dead on accurate.

kCcv0ru.jpg

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    This started life as a NIB RO. After maybe 10 different iterations we are here now and the slide is at AllenM's getting more weight taken off of it as I type. I will most likely be buried with this one as it serves no real purpose past being a test bed for how much you can do to a RO and it fills no real niche other than it runs flat and true. Recoils like a sissy 9mm 1911 and is dead on accurate.

kCcv0ru.jpg
    Nice! Pretty much most of the unfavorable reviews were for the Target model with the adjustable rear sight. It seems like most of them were dissapointed with the performance and were expecting more from something marketed as "Target/Competition" ready right out of the box.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have a "sissy" 9 mm RO and love it. I have had a custom 1911 with a Caspian frame, two SA Loaded models all in .45 and now the RO in 9.

I have had no issues with mine. It runs fine with the factory mags and with the Dawson 10 rounders.

I don't shoot it much these days but only because I made a commitment to stick with one gun until I am proficient with it.

I really think at the end of the day, a 1911 is the quintessential handgun.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Nice! Pretty much most of the unfavorable reviews were for the Target model with the adjustable rear sight. It seems like most of them were dissapointed with the performance and were expecting more from something marketed as "Target/Competition" ready right out of the box.

Target/Competition is more of a marketing moniker than some magical tuning.

I picked this up recently. It shots exactly where I point it, has ran flawlessly and, with a little light polishing to the MIM parts has a very respectable trigger.

It will soon see more modifications but it’s a solid platform, in my very novice 1911 opinion.

9a467119bef277d7f5b9aeec8426250b.jpg

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I own and shoot 1911's from import value models to one off custom builds. I find the SA RO a solid choice, good value. Like the mouse says, good out of the box and a great platform for experimentation.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a "sissy" 9 mm RO and love it. I have had a custom 1911 with a Caspian frame, two SA Loaded models all in .45 and now the RO in 9.

I have had no issues with mine. It runs fine with the factory mags and with the Dawson 10 rounders.

I don't shoot it much these days but only because I made a commitment to stick with one gun until I am proficient with it.

I really think at the end of the day, a 1911 is the quintessential handgun.
    Gotcha.......:p

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I'm looking for some opinions from members that have actual hands on experience with the Springfield Range Officer 1911. I've come across some not so good opinions while doing some internet research. Mostly complaining about accuracy issues and a less than desirable trigger.
    My RO is probably the most accurate out of the box semi-auto centerfire pistol I have ever owned in 30+ years of handgun shooting. I bought it new in 2012 so not sure if the current production is similar. The trigger is not a match trigger by any means but I can live with a crisp 4.5 lb pull for a stock 1911 in this price range. In the last 5 or 6 years I got to the point where the sights were getting really hard to see so I have a Burris Fastfire 3 on there. Attached pic is 50 yards standing two hand hold with 185 grain Nosler reloads.

Attachments

• 1911 at 50 yards.jpg
      1911 at 50 yards.jpg
      486.3 KB · Views: 17

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    I have a RO 45 nice pistol solid had Allen M do some custom work on it. It’s even better now.
    But I still have a RO 9 mm stock it’s a good pistol also. I think they are worth the money and like CM has said if you ever want to go down the rabbit hole they are a great platform.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    CM your gun reminds me of this!!

Attachments

• 757D6162-527B-4182-9327-55A428B55361.jpeg
      757D6162-527B-4182-9327-55A428B55361.jpeg
      10.6 KB · Views: 10
    • C64CC715-B59B-4B0A-8BF2-30D34B7A0913.jpeg
      C64CC715-B59B-4B0A-8BF2-30D34B7A0913.jpeg
      147.5 KB · Views: 10

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I have went through about 15 SA RO myself and and another 20 or so with students RO's. not one problem. I am under no compensation from SA to endorse these guns.

Egldriver

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I had a .45 version that was great. I got a 9mm version that ran great but grouped like a shotgun. It was sent back and they said it met standards. Had a Kart barrel installed all is well now. 50k rounds and still reliable although the trigger sear etc. were replaced with cylinder and slide trigger kit.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

kCcv0ru.jpg

CM, what's the crank-handle thingy sticking out from the slide. I mean, if I gotta wind it up before shooting ..... :ugh:

Happy New Year sir. My Dan Wesson Bruin has shipped. It's gonna be a better year!

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

It's usually desirable to specify the source of "internet opinions." Out of the box 1911s costing less than $1500 are generally going to have:

* rather average accuracy
    * crappy triggers

...and anybody who's really knowledgeable about guns, understands this.

Let's talk about marketing terminology and specifically the word "target." For 1911s costing less than $1500, "target" is just a means of differentiating the gun from the standard "GI .45" version, which means tiny fixed sights, no extended safety, and a small mag release.

"Target" in the sub-$1500 sense gets you larger and/or adjustable sights, a somewhat larger mag release (still usually not quite big enough...), and an extended safety, which may also be ambidextrous.

Also, remember not all "target" competitions require fine accuracy or great triggers. USPSA for example is considered a "target" firearm application, but is really just basketball with handguns. Many people who are agile and good gun handlers have made Master and even Grandmaster in that sport while shooting Glocks with worse accuracy and triggers than factory stock 1911s. Likewise, there are many shooters with fine precision accuracy shooting skills, who cannot break above B-class in the modern classifying system of USPSA, because they simply aren't fast enough. "Target" does not necessarily mean "precision accuracy," in the modern sense of handgun competition.

I have a 2010-vintage Springfield RO .45, and it was plenty good enough for USPSA competition out of the box. I have had no problems with it, and would gladly buy another. For an additional $400 worth of trigger and accuracy mods, it became able to hold the 3-inch 10-ring of the 50-yard NRA with no problem. You cannot purchase this performance in a stock gun costing less than $1,000.

You are not going to find any stock 1911 that costs the same as the Springfield RO, with better accuracy or trigger. Your next step up will be SIG, which costs more, and is still not accurate enough for precision-based target competitions (ie, NRA bullseye).

(Edit: I, ahem, would also like to disclose that, like Trapper, I receive no endorsement money from S.A. for my opinions. Although people of our obvious stature obviously should :):)

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It's usually desirable to specify the source of "internet opinions." Out of the box 1911s costing less than $1500 are generally going to have:

* rather average accuracy
    * crappy triggers

...and anybody who's really knowledgeable about guns, understands this.

Let's talk about marketing terminology and specifically the word "target." For 1911s costing less than $1500, "target" is just a means of differentiating the gun from the standard "GI .45" version, which means tiny fixed sights, no extended safety, and a small mag release.

"Target" in the sub-$1500 sense gets you larger and/or adjustable sights, a somewhat larger mag release (still usually not quite big enough...), and an extended safety, which may also be ambidextrous.

Also, remember not all "target" competitions require fine accuracy or great triggers. USPSA for example is considered a "target" firearm application, but is really just basketball with handguns. Many people who are agile and good gun handlers have made Master and even Grandmaster in that sport while shooting Glocks with worse accuracy and triggers than factory stock 1911s. Likewise, there are many shooters with fine precision accuracy shooting skills, who cannot break above B-class in the modern classifying system of USPSA, because they simply aren't fast enough. "Target" does not necessarily mean "precision accuracy," in the modern sense of handgun competition.

I have a 2010-vintage Springfield RO .45, and it was plenty good enough for USPSA competition out of the box. I have had no problems with it, and would gladly buy another. For an additional $400 worth of trigger and accuracy mods, it became able to hold the 3-inch 10-ring of the 50-yard NRA with no problem. You cannot purchase this performance in a stock gun costing less than $1,000.

You are not going to find any stock 1911 that costs the same as the Springfield RO, with better accuracy or trigger. Your next step up will be SIG, which costs more, and is still not accurate enough for precision-based target competitions (ie, NRA bullseye).

(Edit: I, ahem, would also like to disclose that, like Trapper, I receive no endorsement money from S.A. for my opinions. Although people of our obvious stature obviously should :):)
    I appreciate the time you put into your reply. I am aware of pretty much everything you posted. I was just curious about anyone's 1st hand experiences with the RO.. As far as listing sources for opinions I'm not gonna get that deep into it. It's not that big of a deal.

This isn't the General Political threads. :):

IN50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I am happy with my Springfield RO. I did have a trigger job done by MP Custom. I think the accuracy is good. It has only been used for informal shooting.

Top Bottom