• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    I just got a return email from springfield CS. They said 30 day turn around for those who shipped it in early, and there WILL be a tracking number sent to owner when it is finished and shipped out.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    2 weeks before they start fixing the guns! I sure hope this is not an Obama Scam and this is how the Obamament starts to confiscate guns. If so, I fell prey.

If indeed Obama is that clever (I think NOT!) then this is going to be the end of that deception. So they've managed to confiscate a few thousand handguns that are not even on Diane Feinstein's "bad" list. An XDs is even legal under NY's "S.A.F.E." act since it doesn't hold more than 7 rounds in its magazine.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I just got a return email from springfield CS. They said 30 day turn around for those who shipped it in early, and there WILL be a tracking number sent to owner when it is finished and shipped out.

When Ruger recalled the LCP, they turned mine around in a week. Guess SA isn't as good (experienced) at recalls as Ruger.

Last edited:

timsdl72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    West Lafayette
    I know everybody is saying that an adult signature is all that's required for return of the firearm but I'm going to have to check actual law (which nobody has cited). That just doesn't fit my memory from the rules I remember for shipping firearms for assorted reasons.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I sent my Diamondback out for repair twice. The firearm was sent back to me requiring an adult signature for delivery.

I should mention I do not own a Diamondback any longer :)

Last edited:

timsdl72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    West Lafayette

Q: Is an ATF Form 4473 required when a gunsmith returns a repaired firearm?

No, provided the firearm is returned to the person from whom it was received.
    [27 CFR 478.124(a)]

Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Gunsmiths | ATF

That's the closest I've seen. Thank you! However, it does not specifically address shipping receipt. This section on its own could be construed to refer only to physically delivering a firearm to a gunsmith located in an individual's home state and picking up the same firearm on completion of the work.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    That's the closest I've seen. Thank you! However, it does not specifically address shipping receipt. This section on its own could be construed to refer only to physically delivering a firearm to a gunsmith located in an individual's home state and picking up the same firearm on completion of the work.
    What exactly is the issue you're getting at here? Lots of people have sent in their firearms for repairs or other modifications to manufacturers and custom work businesses and have had their items returned (via shipping) to them directly.

As far as I know the "signature required" stipulation is not even dictated by law but is a condition placed upon by the shipper and or the shipping venue used.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    What exactly is the issue you're getting at here? Lots of people have sent in their firearms for repairs or other modifications to manufacturers and custom work businesses and have had their items returned (via shipping) to them directly.

As far as I know the "signature required" stipulation is not even dictated by law but is a condition placed upon by the shipper and or the shipping venue used.

This.

you already own the gun. So no ffl or anything required. They're just shipping your property back to you. Not sure what timsdl doesn't understand about that...

the signature required is just for Springfield to cover their butt. It makes sure a minor doesn't receive it.

timsdl72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    West Lafayette
    This.

you already own the gun. So no ffl or anything required. They're just shipping your property back to you. Not sure what timsdl doesn't understand about that...

the signature required is just for Springfield to cover their butt. It makes sure a minor doesn't receive it.

Wow! Perhaps I should be a bit more detailed with the problem I'm having here. When a gunsmith receives a firearm for repair and the owner is not present, the gunsmith is required to list the firearm in his "book". It seems odd to me that removing it from that book is not considered a transfer. For example, a pawnbroker who receives a firearm on pawn or consignment must go through the full NICS to return the firearm. Even if they run a "voluntary" check before receiving it, they must go again with the 4473 upon return. It just seems odd to me that an out of state smithy can receive and return firearms to an individual without it.

Now, having said all of that, I've looked through hundreds of ATF questions and interpretations and I have to agree that currently, it is not required. I would also bet that should things continue their current course, this will be considered a loophole and a new interpretation will emerge.

Thanks for the responses. Please don't take my anal retentive nit-picking badly. I simply rarely do things because "everybody else is doing it". Especially when it seems to contradict the general tendency of our current anti-freedom establishment.

Last edited:

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    From what was said on XDTalk you can enter you SN again on the "get started" section of the recall page and it should give you the status of the repairs. I re-entered mine and got the message - Your Recall Status: Call Tag has been Sent. Someone else on the other forum reports a different message of - Your Recall Status: Your Gun has been Received.

Mine arrived on the first truck and was checked in, I'm awaiting a status change soon.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    I had an issue with printing the shipping label (Not Springfields fault) and I called their customer support. They told me it would be about a 30 day turnaround, they will notify me of the shipping and the tracking number when it shipped and I should get it about two days after they ship it.

I was trying to get a bit more information on what the exact issue was and they told me it was something with the grip safety. I don't think the people in the call center knew exactly what the issue was.
    Either way once I get mine back I will have to once again take it to the range and make sure it shoots clean. Good think I have some ammo, now to fine more carry ammo.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I had an issue with printing the shipping label (Not Springfields fault) and I called their customer support. They told me it would be about a 30 day turnaround, they will notify me of the shipping and the tracking number when it shipped and I should get it about two days after they ship it.

I was trying to get a bit more information on what the exact issue was and they told me it was something with the grip safety. I don't think the people in the call center knew exactly what the issue was.
    Either way once I get mine back I will have to once again take it to the range and make sure it shoots clean. Good think I have some ammo, now to fine more carry ammo.

They know, they just don't want to tell anyone. They are being very "foggy" about the parts changed because they don't want people trying to do it themselves. It's one thing if someone who gets their gun back takes it apart and posts what was changed on the internet so others can do it themselves. It's quite another if Springfield themselves tells them what needs changed and they botch the job creating an unsafe gun, at least from a legal corporate point of view.

I've sent 5 emails to Springfield and have gotten 2 replies. All of my emails were the same except the subject line which was updated each time to FIFTH TIME SENT, STILL UNANSWERED etc. Here is a copy of my email.

You already have one of my XDS pistols in for the recall. It was received and signed for on Sept 3rd at 7:38 am. My questions are:

What is going to be changed? You state the grip safety and other parts, what other parts?

Will these other parts changed have any effect on the trigger pull, grip safety resistance or trigger breaking point?

Will I get an email and tracking number when it's finished or will I just get a knock on the door from FedEx, assuming I'm home when they come?

Are these going to be worked on (roughly) in the order received? I've read many comments on XDtalk.com about the recall. It's being said that you are overwhelmed by the amount of guns you have already gotten back and won't start until mid September. This is my EDC gun and I made sure to have it into you the first day possible. There will be a whole lot of them stacked up by the time you start. I won't carry my other XDS (in 9mm) due to liability issues with a recalled gun.

I'm at the point where I will probably need to go out and buy another brand just so I have something reliable to carry. This will be expensive on both our ends. The cost of another gun, plus ammo (minimum of 200 rounds, 100 of them to be chosen HP ammo) to make sure it's reliable until these get back to us. Once they are finished and returned to us then I'll have to put another 200 rounds through the XDs's to make sure they work as they should, even though they were perfect before.

Even if I don't purchase another gun, by my estimate your recall will cost me at a minimum $200. 100 rounds of .45 acp FMJ at $50, 100 rounds of .45 acp Federal HST at $66 ($33 per box of 50). 100 rounds of 9mm FMJ at $25, 100 rounds of Federal HST at $60 ($30 per box of 50). None of this includes shipping or the difficulty in finding good quality HP ammo in stock. Things will get more costly if there are any failures of any kind during this period that aren't directly ammo related. Since these guns are going through a rebuild they will need to prove themselves once again before I trust them to protect myself and my family.

The first reply came after the fourth time this was sent. It simply said. [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Thank you for your email. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Please click on the following link for an answer to your question.

[/FONT]

The fifth time I sent this email I quoted the entire thing including their response and simply stated at the top. "You didn't even bother to read my email did you?" Please keep in mind this was before they updated the FAQ page to actually have any useful information on it. At the time I received this reply about the only thing on that page was to look for the roll pin after update, ship it to us without accessories, clean it. This was even before they said to ship it in the factory case.

A week of so later I finally got a halfhearted response that consisted of:

[FONT=&amp]Hello XXXX,[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]What is being changed? Grip safety and any other part based on inspection. Basically while it’s in its going to have a full tech inspection and if any part is showing unusual wear it will be replaced as part of the lifetime warranty.[/FONT]

Will these other parts changed have any effect on the trigger pull, grip safety resistance or trigger breaking point?
    [FONT=&amp]The trigger pull may be a bit smoother, but as far as breaking point or pull it shouldn’t be effected. Grip safety resistance should be the same.[/FONT]

Will I get an email and tracking number when it's finished or will I just get a knock on the door from FedEx, assuming I'm home when they come?
    [FONT=&amp]Yes you will receive a invoice w/ a tracking number.[/FONT]

Are these going to be worked on (roughly) in the order received?
    [FONT=&amp]yes[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Thank you and have a great day![/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Matt P[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Customer Service Rep.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]1-800-680-6866, Ext 8932[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Springfield Armory[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]It seems very hard to get a straight answer from them on this issue. I realize they are liable for what happens with the guns, but they don't own them anymore. Once I fill out the paperwork and pay for it then it becomes mine and I want to know what is being done to it. Mine was signed for on 9/03 at 7:38am. This is reported to be the first truckload of them received. I'd be nice to have it back in 30 days, but I don't see that happening. They have told others that they aren't even going to start working on them until the middle of the month. We'll see what happens.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm checking for a a friend who has a .45 XDS and he sent his in about 3 weeks ago and he hasn't heard anything. I work with a guy that also send his in almost the same time and he couldn't get an answer from Springfield.
    Has anyone received theirs back?

Thanks.

96ramair

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Delphi
    I talked to them today he told me they have NO ETA on returns. He said that they were still in the final stages of approved fixes...

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    The xdtalk forum has a running thread. SAFETY RECALL - Issued August 28, 2013 - XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source!

These guys keep a close watch on what's going on. Lot's of chaff to sift through. My advice is to read about the first 10 pages for some base good info then skip to the last 5 and read those. Bookmark the last page and check it when you want. As soon as anything happens these guys will have it up. When the FAQ page got updated multiple pages showed up in a row. I checked it around noon one day and then later on about 3pm the same day and 6 pages had been added.

It's pretty quick to sort through, most posts are short and not informative.

Top Bottom