• Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    C41pBK.jpg

Spyderco Native

Background: I'm just a regular Joe. Love getting out in nature, work hard around house and home and like guns and knives. I've always liked my Spydercos for their light weight and easy deployment.

On this day, I was carrying my Native with partially serrated edges. I was out in the boondocks outside of Salem at a client's home when I locked my keys in the car. Pop-a-lock would have been at least an hour, so I took matters into my own hands. I found a box of wire coat hangers in the shed (yes I did) but no pry bar or other suitable tool.

So I put my Native into action. It was clear that I was going to be able to get the door open enough to get the lock, and according to the Spyderco Web site the native has a lock back mechanism and ...
    Carved out of the locking lever is a David Boye Dent insuring the lock remains safely engaged even when gripping the handle forcefully

David Boye Dent (said with sarcastic sneer)

The folder collapsed on me and gave me a little love bite on the palm of my hand (very light, almost a scratch). I had to step back and thank whatever angel was watching over me, because I was putting a lot of pressure on that knife, I could have taken a finger easily. I stepped back and promptly had the folder come unlocked again. After repositioning my hand on the handle I got the job done.

The knife held up very well, but I'd like to put a dent in David Boye because unless you're cutting cheeze, that dent's functioning is questionable.

I'm going to have to look into a different locking mechanism and start carrying a better blade. I have a Manix II and other liner lockers, but man, I'm gun (knife?) shy to a degree now. I'm just glad I'm not posting pics of my missing little finger this morning.

Any input?

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    1. You were using your Native for something that is wasn't designed for.......... Wrong tool for the job.

2. Any folder has the possiblity of "collasping"....some more than others.

3. If you are going to use a knife for something like that (pry bar), at the very least, you should have been using a fixed blade.

Even after hearing this, I don't question the design or the quality of the Native. It is a tool that is designed for certain tasks, but cetainly is not designed to be used as a pry bar.

:twocents:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I've go to agree with Brad. I don't think your Native was at fault. A pocket knife is not an ideal candidate for use as a pry bar, since its designed to fold. Something as bad ass as a Hinderer could have done the same thing.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I have carried Natives for years now and have never had a problem with the locking mechanism. But then, while I do some heavy-duty cutting on occasion, I have never attempted to use my knife as a pry bar. My :twocents:

Dtrap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Glad you didnt get hurt. Sometimes you just have to make due with what is available. That is the whole key to survival. Just be prepared that everything has its limits and when performing a task with a tool,or anything for that matter, that it is not designed for will always put you at risk. Kind of like taking a 300 yard shot with your glock 19 and being upset with the pistol cause you missed.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Glad you didnt get hurt. Sometimes you just have to make due with what is available. That is the whole key to survival. Just be prepared that everything has its limits and when performing a task with a tool,or anything for that matter, that it is not designed for will always put you at risk. Kind of like taking a 300 yard shot with your glock 19 and being upset with the pistol cause you missed.

Excellent analogy, I agree.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    1. You were using your Native for something that is wasn't designed for.......... Wrong tool for the job.

2. Any folder has the possiblity of "collasping"....some more than others.

3. If you are going to use a knife for something like that (pry bar), at the very least, you should have been using a fixed blade.

Even after hearing this, I don't question the design or the quality of the Native. It is a tool that is designed for certain tasks, but cetainly is not designed to be used as a pry bar.

:twocents:

Yeah, I'm not putting the Native down altogether. It held up well. But not under those circumstances.
    Just making comments about something that happened in the real world. That's all.
    Certainly couldn't pull a fixed blade from behind by back when I was 30 mins from civilization outside of a trailer where the occupant had at most a butter knife.

I suppose I was looking for suggestions on what folder would've been better. I wear casual dress clothes and have to be discrete in what kind of knife I carry.

You're two cents served little purpose except to show how smart you are. Congrats.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I agree with needing the right tool for the job.

Folders Fold period.

I'm glad you have all your fingers and you were able to learn something from this with out any consequences.

Buy an Izula for your neck. Wear it over your undershirt to be discreet. Use folding knifes for opening boxes, cutting rope, and slicing up food and you'll be g2g!

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Yeah, I'm not putting the Native down altogether. It held up well. But not under those circumstances.
    Just making comments about something that happened in the real world. That's all.
    Certainly couldn't pull a fixed blade from behind by back when I was 30 mins from civilization outside of a trailer where the occupant had at most a butter knife.

I suppose I was looking for suggestions on what folder would've been better. I wear casual dress clothes and have to be discrete in what kind of knife I carry.

You're two cents served little purpose except to show how smart you are. Congrats.

You know, I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. My point was to inform other users not to expect a knife to do things that it was not designed to do. It seems like a lot of people expect tools to do more than what they are designed for. I fully understand you really didn't have any other option other than using your folding knife as a pry bar, but crying about something that did not perform when it was not designed to do that particular function/task, and then question the design and attack the designer (David Boye) served little purpose.

For those who are wondering what a “dent” design is:

David Boye removed a small arc or dent of metal from the lock bar lever. This removed piece lessens the possibility of gripping the handle hard enough to depress the lock and accidentally unlocking the blade while using the knife. If you look at the pic below, the top two Natives have the dent. The bottom two Natives are older designs without the dent. With the older designs without the dent, the lock back lever is riding flush with the top of the handle which allows for a higher possibility of pushing the lock lever bar down when gripping that area hard. In theory, the dent is designed for when your are gripping hard over the lock back lever area. The arc cutout (dent) is there to remove the contact area, thus keeping you from pushing the lock bar lever far enough down to to disengage the blade. The dent design is not a 100% foolproof. People with big meaty hands can still apply enough grip/pressure around the lock bar lever area to push it far enough down to unlock the blade. Bottom line, if you are not pushing the lock back lever down and the blade is disengaging (unlocking), then you are placing/applying more force on the locking mechanism than what it is was designed for.

SpydercoDent_zpsdce8597f.jpg

The Native is a great and proven design. It will serve you well for most every day tasks. What it is not, is a knife that you can go and play Macgyver with. :)

Last edited:

RipkinC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Indy
    I have carried a Spyderco for the majority of my life since I was 16 and could first afford one back in the mid 90's when $65 was a lot more than it is today (both in actual value and because I was 16) I have beaten, abused, lost and had stolen 3 of them in that lifetime (2 delcas and 1 endura) I currently cary a Endura and when in an iffy area for confiscation ets i take a older cheaper gerber, they are tools to me, and just like a hammer they could be used for self defense in a pinch but first and foremost it is a tool like any other in my bag/box.
    that being said I have had on occasion the older ones collapse under pressure because they were pre cut-out design and often because I was using as not intended, since the new design i have not had a accidental collapse so IMHO it is worth it. I have used many other knives too, Kirshaw's, Gerbers, Benchmade's (friends) and more bur i always find my first true knife brand to be my fall back.
    IMHO other lockers like the ones often used in benchmade's (I think some now use a side lock which is better) and many gerber's, kirshaw's and other "cheaper" (not benchmade) brands(inside the handle) can be way more dangerous than the Spyderco's classic lock design, because reaching to within the blades path to close it can cause problems and has when hands are covered in dirt, oil etc
    Some of the love of the back-lock is from growing up with it as it is the traditional way but always open to new ideas.
    Are there better blades than Spyderco, sure, but IMHO its the best bang for the buck because I hate loosing a $65 knife, let alone a $165 one...

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    ...Are there better blades than Spyderco, sure, but IMHO its the best bang for the buck because I hate loosing a $65 knife, let alone a $165 one...

I'm with you on that, I'm a Spyderco Nut. I'm still carrying that Native that bit me. I've forgiven it.

I got a couple of blades that I dont think I'll ever actually use ... A Spyderco Balance, just because it looks so cool, and a "vintage" endura because it was like my first and I just wanted to get one for the memories
    (Oh, and a fancy Dragonfly dressed up by Sante Fe Stoneworks. It's an all show and no go knife ... I probably should sell it, but it's beautiful)

My most recent is the Zulu. I know many people can't stomach have a blade not made in the USA... but it's a nice knfe ... very well built.

I've even taken to having some of the "Byrd" knifes around. They're cheaper and I'm not afraid to lose one of those. I actually like the "comet" shaped hole on the Byrds better than the circle.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Should've used an Izula.

Or shouldn't have locked yourself out. :):

2 weeks ago my daugters friend locked her keys in her car, used a coathanger and my izula 2, wham bam thank you man, 5 mins later she was in her car with her keys!

RipkinC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Indy
    Or drive a older civic. My friend has had his broken into 3 times in a week, in 3 different places. Also a brick works well </sarcasm>

I have done the pry method as well as the older slim-jim on older cars when I or friends got locked out. the new prying method I still dont like doing, always afraid im going to over-flex and shatter the window

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    I had a similiar situation happen and my knife got me out of it, but i didnt use it as a pry bar. I used it to shave two wedges out of some sticks to put between the door and body of my truck. Just food for thought on the next time somebody locks the keys in a vehiche.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I had a similiar situation happen and my knife got me out of it, but i didnt use it as a pry bar. I used it to shave two wedges out of some sticks to put between the door and body of my truck. Just food for thought on the next time somebody locks the keys in a vehiche.

Use your knife to make a better tool! :ugh: who woulda thunk it!

I can't rep ya again, IOU! :D

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.

Use your knife to make a better tool! :ugh: who woulda thunk it!

I can't rep ya again, IOU! :D

Brilliant! That might have just killed the market for all of thick bladed Busses, Striders....etc. that people claim to use to pry open car doors. :):

Repped him for you Dave.

Top Bottom