• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should I get the Manix 2 blue lightweight?

• Total voters

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Text me your address, and I'll pick it up real quick :D

What if it snows?

Brad doesn't do txt's sir. he has those disabled on his phone!!!

I can barely do them. With my circa 1993 flip phone, texting is not an easy task. When you get a text from me, you know I really want to send it.

I do now.... I decided to move into the 21st century and I bought a Galaxy S5. :)

THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!

And that eagle is blue and beautiful! Thank you again, Brad!

First impressions of the Manix 2 lightweight:

• Very light in the hand, but plenty strong
    • Grip is long compared to blade length, which makes it a very useful tool
    • Love the blade shape (naturally)
    • The blade is ground very thin, so it's a great slicer and easy to make sharp
    • Very little reprofiling of the edge was needed
    • The Carpenter BD-1 steel is new to me. I don't know how it will perform in the long run, but it was very easy to get a nice, sharp, grabby edge. This was partly due to the thin blade, but it's also indicative of a good heat treatment, uniform grain structure, and carbides that are small enough to allow a thin cutting edge. BRAVO, so far!
    • Brad has the best customer service of any merchant in my experience as a customer. I will continue to do business with Brad (and Knife Lady) as long as they are in business!

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    That's an amazing looking knife. I've wanted a Manix for a long time but it's just a little bit too big for my EDC needs. :(

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That's an amazing looking knife. I've wanted a Manix for a long time but it's just a little bit too big for my EDC needs. :(

If you get a chance to handle one, check it out. It's long, but very light. You might not even notice it if you carry it in a back pocket or in your waistband.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    If you get a chance to handle one, check it out. It's long, but very light. You might not even notice it if you carry it in a back pocket or in your waistband.

I'm a white collar guy so small gets the preference for me. I've tried a variety of Spyderco knives including the titanium Sage which is similar to the Manix in appearance, just smaller. Finally settled on a Benchmade Emisary :yesway:

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    This is perhaps one of the more pitiful, pathetic posts I've seen in a loooong time! You knew you wanted it, you're weak, and you were just fishing for a reason to drag the rest of us weak ones down with you! I've got a couple of the Manix's and believe them to be one of the better everyday carry knives out there. Great balance, good blade and fits really well clipped in the pocket. What's not to like? Anyway, congrats on another great blade that won't break the bank!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Adding to my preliminary review . . .

• It wasn't super sharp out of the box, but it only took about 4 minutes with a coarse diamond rod followed by a nearly worn-out diamond rod to get it popping hair with a nice, grabby edge for slicing.
    • Opened a few envelopes - nothing unusual there
    • Destroyed a medium sirloin at O'Charley's making as many slices as I could. It shined! Some knives are dull after this, but . . this guy was not affected.
    • When I got home, I noticed the volunteer tulip tree branches that are trying to grow out of one of our window wells. I slashed at a few of the smaller green branches and when they met their doom, they made that cool "Ting!" sounds. I worked my way up to the harder, woodier branches and the Manix sliced right through them until I got a little past 1/4 inch in diameter. It still cut through the bigger branches, but I had to either attack upward from underneath or go at an angle (with respect to the branch) pretty aggressively.
    • After that, it sliced receipt tape paper, unsupported with little effort, the full length of the cutting edge. It did the same to 3x5 inch index cards unsupported.
    • After that, it still popped arm hair, but nowhere near as well as before I started. It was still sharper than what most people consider as sharp as something can get.
    • 12 light strokes on the coarse diamond rod, followed by about 18 very light strokes on the worn-out diamond rod and it was tree-topping my spindly arm hair.

I proclaim the thin stock + the edge geometry + the Carpenter BD-1 + a good heat treatment = success.

I may have to get another one!

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Adding to my preliminary review . . .

• It wasn't super sharp out of the box, but it only took about 4 minutes with a coarse diamond rod followed by a nearly worn-out diamond rod to get it popping hair with a nice, grabby edge for slicing.
    • Opened a few envelopes - nothing unusual there
    • Destroyed a medium sirloin at O'Charley's making as many slices as I could. It shined! Some knives are dull after this, but . . this guy was not affected.
    • When I got home, I noticed the volunteer tulip tree branches that are trying to grow out of one of our window wells. I slashed at a few of the smaller green branches and when they met their doom, they made that cool "Ting!" sounds. I worked my way up to the harder, woodier branches and the Manix sliced right through them until I got a little past 1/4 inch in diameter. It still cut through the bigger branches, but I had to either attack upward from underneath or go at an angle (with respect to the branch) pretty aggressively.
    • After that, it sliced receipt tape paper, unsupported with little effort, the full length of the cutting edge. It did the same to 3x5 inch index cards unsupported.
    • After that, it still popped arm hair, but nowhere near as well as before I started. It was still sharper than what most people consider as sharp as something can get.
    • 12 light strokes on the coarse diamond rod, followed by about 18 very light strokes on the worn-out diamond rod and it was tree-topping my spindly arm hair.

I proclaim the thin stock + the edge geometry + the Carpenter BD-1 + a good heat treatment = success.

I may have to get another one!

How would you compare this with an Endura for EDC?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    How would you compare this with an Endura for EDC?

Vastly superior to the regular Endura. The full flat grind Endura compares a little better, but I'd still give the nod to the Manix 2 Lightweight. The blade is wider, so it can be thinner at the edge = better cutting. The lock is stronger than the Endura's lockback. The Carpenter BD-1 so far is a lot better than VG-10, both in terms of edge holding as well as easy it is to get a very sharp edge.

The Endura has a slightly longer blade if you need that.

Top Bottom